close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What brand hiking boot do you like?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by auto-5, May 5, 2012.

1. For hiking, I am really liking Merrel's.. but for all out best boot, Hanwag. I have a pair of Hanwag's I bought in the FRG in '78 or so, still the best mountain boot I have seen/worn/had. Just had them re-soled about 2 years ago. My guess is that will be the last time. (second sole)

2. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    The sole liner is an add-on. It is shaped like a foot and goes into the boot before your foot does. It gives the sole just the right amount of extra padding. It really makes a difference.

3. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    I'm on my second pair of Danner Mountain Lites. They've been around since the 70's. Do some online searching and you'll find em for $300ish. My first pair lasted almost 18 years and had been resoled twice. They are the classic leather hiking boot. Will take some break-in--about 20 miles or so. Wear a good sock liner and some Merino Wool socks to start and carry some moleskin. After about 20 miles they will be golden.

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Danner-Mountain-Light-II-Mens-Womens-Hiking-Boot-p/30800.htm

I also have a pair of Asolo TPS 520's and they are a nice boot that provides a little higher ankle support than the Danner's but they are a bonded sole and cannot be resoled and were more expensive than the Danners at the time. Also needed some break-in but less than my Danners.

4. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    Are you talking about the padded insole that comes with the boot? I've never seen an add-on liner for Sundowners, and I've never had any comfort issues so the "very important" part of your post has me a bit puzzled. :headscratch:

5. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
  6. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Sundowners aren't what they used to be. The new models are made in China and are a huge change in quality from the old Italian made boots.

7. crunchless

crunchless

Sep 22, 2008
    Asolo 520 tps boots are great but expensive - almost $300. I thought they could be resoled but not sure now. I had the old LL Bean guide to the outdoors book in the 1980s and they had a chapter on "you best foot forward". I didn't realize until recently how big a deal good footwear is. When you have poor fitting boots you are miserable.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

May 3, 2007
    Kansas
  9. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Aug 21, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Sketcher's for me. Lol, not exactly "supreme" gear, I know.

These aren't even really hiking boots per se, but they work damn well. They're kind of a mess in this pic, from a cave-diving trip. I wear 'em on the bike, hiking, whatever.

[​IMG]

Only boots I've ever had that I never need to break in, comfy right outta the box. They're tough as nails, and last. This pair is pretty new, just retired my last pair, that I bought sometime in the '90s.

:wavey:

10. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    Merrell for me and what I do. I do heavy long distance hikes so leather would cook my dogs. I have a pair of Moab Ventilators right now. Sometimes when I go cheap I get Hi-tec trail runners and boots. I still have a pair of Hi-Tec trail runners that are going over 2 years old with tons of mileage and they still look and feel great Best $35 I ever spent. I just replace the crappy insole with green superfeet.