close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What brand hiking boot do you like?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by auto-5, May 5, 2012.

1. SFCSMITH(RET)

SFCSMITH(RET)
    Expand Collapse

For hiking, I am really liking Merrel's.. but for all out best boot, Hanwag. I have a pair of Hanwag's I bought in the FRG in '78 or so, still the best mountain boot I have seen/worn/had. Just had them re-soled about 2 years ago. My guess is that will be the last time. (second sole)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. jtull7

jtull7
    Expand Collapse
    Pistolero
    CLM

The sole liner is an add-on. It is shaped like a foot and goes into the boot before your foot does. It gives the sole just the right amount of extra padding. It really makes a difference.

3. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I'm on my second pair of Danner Mountain Lites. They've been around since the 70's. Do some online searching and you'll find em for $300ish. My first pair lasted almost 18 years and had been resoled twice. They are the classic leather hiking boot. Will take some break-in--about 20 miles or so. Wear a good sock liner and some Merino Wool socks to start and carry some moleskin. After about 20 miles they will be golden.

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Danner-Mountain-Light-II-Mens-Womens-Hiking-Boot-p/30800.htm

I also have a pair of Asolo TPS 520's and they are a nice boot that provides a little higher ankle support than the Danner's but they are a bonded sole and cannot be resoled and were more expensive than the Danners at the time. Also needed some break-in but less than my Danners.

4. RichJ

RichJ
    Expand Collapse

Are you talking about the padded insole that comes with the boot? I've never seen an add-on liner for Sundowners, and I've never had any comfort issues so the "very important" part of your post has me a bit puzzled. :headscratch:

5. FireForged

FireForged
    Expand Collapse
    Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

Merrell

6. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Sundowners aren't what they used to be. The new models are made in China and are a huge change in quality from the old Italian made boots.

7. crunchless

crunchless
    Expand Collapse

Asolo 520 tps boots are great but expensive - almost $300. I thought they could be resoled but not sure now. I had the old LL Bean guide to the outdoors book in the 1980s and they had a chapter on "you best foot forward". I didn't realize until recently how big a deal good footwear is. When you have poor fitting boots you are miserable.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper
    Expand Collapse

9. Hour13

Hour13
    Expand Collapse
    Tah-dah!

Sketcher's for me. Lol, not exactly "supreme" gear, I know.

These aren't even really hiking boots per se, but they work damn well. They're kind of a mess in this pic, from a cave-diving trip. I wear 'em on the bike, hiking, whatever.

[​IMG]

Only boots I've ever had that I never need to break in, comfy right outta the box. They're tough as nails, and last. This pair is pretty new, just retired my last pair, that I bought sometime in the '90s.

:wavey:

10. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

Merrell for me and what I do. I do heavy long distance hikes so leather would cook my dogs. I have a pair of Moab Ventilators right now. Sometimes when I go cheap I get Hi-tec trail runners and boots. I still have a pair of Hi-Tec trail runners that are going over 2 years old with tons of mileage and they still look and feel great Best $35 I ever spent. I just replace the crappy insole with green superfeet.