close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What brand hiking boot do you like?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by auto-5, May 5, 2012.

1. auto-5

auto-5
    Expand Collapse

I'm looking to upgrade from a pair of NB. I figure you guys probably hike a bunch.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

I have used a lot of different hiking boots over the years. One of my favorites, believe it or not, was some Nike made leather hiking boots. They fit like a glove and held up a long time. Of, course, as with everyother piece of footwear I have ever really liked, they quit making that particular boot before I was ready to buy new ones. :(

3. bdcochran

bdcochran
    Expand Collapse

Raichle of Switzerland

I still have mine from 35 years ago. Handled places like the Golden Triangle, Red China, Afghanistan.

You don't have to worry about someone stepping on your feet. When people see you coming, they get out of your way!:wow:

4. eric1

eric1
    Expand Collapse

I use Asolo, they're comfortable and very durable.

5. nevnut

nevnut
    Expand Collapse

Danners, I can get a good pair for around $120 and they usually last 2 years or more. Also the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn.

6. fx77

fx77
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Have hiked in Lowa's since 1979 thousands of miles and verticle feet.
    They fit true to size and are very comfortable right out of the box

http://www.lowaboots.com/

7. Protus

Protus
    Expand Collapse

I like my merrels . On my 3rd pair now. Wife loves her's.
    Ive considered on my next purchase trying the lowa's or some keens. But for down here they do just fine.

8. XDfense

XDfense
    Expand Collapse

I, too, like Asolo and Vasque. I found Asolo more comfortable but Vasque more durable.

9. Babynine

Babynine
    Expand Collapse

I currently wear the German-made Cabelas Meindl "Perfekt" 7" Hikers, because I have a bum foot, and they are actually recommended by the American Podiatrist Assn.

Since I first bought these a couple years ago the Eureopean made boots by Lowa, Asolo, and Zamberlin have really caught my eye. I like how many of the Eureopean made leather boots are made from a single piece of leather, or very few large pieces of leather.

In my limited experiance, boots tend to fail at the stiching anywhere on the front half of the boots at the flex points. In my opinion it seems best to eliminate those seams by using fewer, larger pieces of leather in construction of the boots.

My Meindls are NOT top quality boots, but I beat the crap out of them, any only hose 'em off with water to clean them, and twice a year I wax them up with Obanhauf's heavy duty beeswax leather protector.

I have stood in creeks for minutes at a time filtering drinking water, without a drop of water getting in my Meindl Hikers.

10. series1811

series1811
    Expand Collapse
    Enforcerator.
    CLM

I know they don't sound like a serious choice, but I have always like Timberland boots for hiking and backpacking. They make a lot of trendy stuff, but they still turn out some pretty decent serious boots if you go to the right stores.

I like heavy boots, the lightweight modern ones just don't seem to give me the support I need at my height and size.

11. Bushflyr

Bushflyr
    Expand Collapse
    ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Millennium Member

Boots are a very personal choice. There are a few decent boot makers out there, but it doesn't matter if they don't fit.

The flat out best hiking boots are made with a single piece of leather all around the body and toe of the boot. You're obviously going to have a seam up the back and around the tongue.

I've had the same pair of Scarpa Attack's for about 15 years now. They've been resoled 3 times and, unfortunately, due to abuse on my part and too many wet slogs, are due for retirement.

Not mine but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

12. series1811

series1811
    Expand Collapse
    Enforcerator.
    CLM

That's about what mine look like. I'm kind of hard on boots, too. :supergrin: They are my second pair since 1994. The first pair wasn't completely worn out when I retired them in 2009, my wife was just embarrassed to be seen with me wearing them. :supergrin:

13. Babynine

Babynine
    Expand Collapse

/\ Wax Those things up with some Obanhauf's LP and those things will be ready for another 6-12 months of stomping through muddy trails and crossing 4-5 inch deep streams, while keeping your feet bone dry.

14. pugman

pugman
    Expand Collapse

Brand? I've hiked in Asolos, Danners, a set of Vasques and Lowas. Depending on the load out and the terrain dictates what I have on my feet

Keens unfortuntely I can't recommend. I LOVE their sandals but think once they got away from their core product line into casual shoes and boots quality has taken a nose dive. I've bought two pairs and was not impressed

15. Bushflyr

Bushflyr
    Expand Collapse
    ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Millennium Member

Like I said, said, those aren't mine. Mine looked like that about 5 years ago. Now the cuffs are completely disintegrated and the interiors are so worn I can feel the nails poking through.

16. jtull7

jtull7
    Expand Collapse
    Pistolero
    CLM

Vasque Sundowners are the very best for a experienced hiker but not a rock climber. Get them at any Red Wing store. Buy the extra sole liner: very important.

17. jr05

jr05
    Expand Collapse

Asolo all the way.

18. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

I have a pair of Timberlands forever and they clean up well after a dirty hike and they have lasted me forever... seem almost indestructible.

19. RichJ

RichJ
    Expand Collapse

I hike a lot and have been wearing Sundowners for about 15 years (I think I'm on pair number four). What's this about an extra sole liner? I've never had an issue with the sole liner deteriorating or anything. Is there an upgrade or something, or do you just like having a spare pair?

Sundowners look a whole lot like those Scarpa's in the pic and have a Gortex liner btw.

20. hillyard

hillyard
    Expand Collapse

Timberline here