close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What book's on your nightstand now?

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Vic303, Oct 10, 2004.

1. HiVel

HiVel HiVel

Mar 26, 2003
    Leeds, AL
    "Chasing Midnight" by Randy Wayne White-another Doc Ford book-his new one. I would love to meet Randy and toss a few back down there in those Rum Bars he inhabits. He is a great storyteller and lives in areally nic epart of the good old south....

2. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Feb 10, 2005
    Deer Park, Texas
    Just finished a book published by Elmore Leanord titled, Split images. You wanna talk about a page turner. But then I've always been a huge fan of his I can never get enough of his style of plot development, cool characters, and above all his cool style of writing.

Tonight I'll start Vince Flynn's Act of Treason. Vince can always be counted on to deliver the goods.

3. waynokarider01

waynokarider01

Sep 29, 2009
    Just finished "Wanted" by Jason Halstead. It was an excellent read, and it is free on Kindle.

4. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Feb 10, 2005
    Deer Park, Texas
    It's tough when you get to the point that you have read so many books that you have to be careful what you check out at the library or you'll wind up checking out books you have already read. The two Vince Flynn books I brought home the other day both turned out to be books I've already read so I checked out the last Lee Child book that has been published and it turned out that I've read that one as well.

I took it back and checked out the latest John Sanford book titled Shock Wave. It's not a "Prey" book featuring Lucas Davenport, rather, it's a Virgil Flowers book. He has appeared in some of the Prey books and although I'm only into it by 77 pages I can tell it will be a satisfying book. It has Stanford's excellent writing style with his wit and flare for great characters and plot development.

There are 4 or 5 other Virgil Flowers books out also so I'll have a few to read before I have to go on the hunt again for something to read.

5. I'm guilty of forgetting I already read a certain book! Vince Flynn is a great author. I love his books and the character, Mitch Rapp

6. Mike0301

Mike0301

Mar 22, 2012
    After you've read 'Chickenhawk' check Apache, by Ed Macy. Details the experiences of a Apache pilot with the British forces in Afghanistan in 2007.

7. waynokarider01

waynokarider01

Sep 29, 2009
    Chickenhawk was a very good read. I don't read a lot of books of that type as they rarely have what it takes to hold my attention. That one, however did. Lots of people have some interesting stories, but few have enough to write as entertaining a book as he did.

8. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Mar 9, 2009
    Vermont
    The Shadow Patrol, by Alex Berenson.

Great read about CIA and Army and shadow ops in Afghanistan....drug trade, corrupt soldiers, etc..

fiction, and Berenson has written a few books with the same character (John Wells), who is a bad mo-fo, who the CIA sets loose when they want deniability and results! :cool:

9. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Feb 10, 2005
    Deer Park, Texas
    I'm having a go at at a new (to me) author. I'm about 40 pages into Lawrence Block's "Hope To Die". He is a very prolific writer and has many books to his credit. So far he seems like a good writer but it's hard to tell in only 40 pages. I'll reserve judgment until I have read a little deeper into to it. I'm hoping that Mr. Block turns out to be a writer I enjoy cause my library carries a lot of his books in large print which I pretty much need these days.

I just finished John Sanford's "Shock Wave", it's a Virgil Flowers book and typical John Sanford offering, ie, excellent.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  10. HiVel

HiVel HiVel

Mar 26, 2003
    Leeds, AL
    "The Triple Agent " by Joby Warrick
    True story of infiltration of the CIA by the terroists -looks very interesting....

11. Chad Rogers

Chad Rogers

Feb 25, 2011
    DC Metro Area
    The Birds of Baghdad. A $2.99 Kindle e-book that's very fast action which is easy to read. And clearly written by somebody who spent some time in Iraq:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Birds-Baghdad-Jack-Parker-ebook/dp/B007PFEC66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333929546&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The Birds of Baghdad (Jack Parker) eBook: Michael Burke: Kindle Store@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519bfSDsezL.@@AMEPARAM@@519bfSDsezL[/ame]

12. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    Lenin Stalin and Hitler the age of social catastrophe by Robert Gellately.

Great book!

13. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
  14. trajan07

trajan07 dimly lit

Oct 31, 2009
    NoVA, USA
  15. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I have just finished reading Proust's À la recherche du temps perdu (In Search of Lost Time).

The book is 4,200 pages long, with 1.5 million words. It is my opinion, and the opinion of many others, that all persons who love literature should, before they die, read Proust in it's entirety.

Literary critic Harold Bloom wrote that In Search of Lost Time is now "widely recognized as the major novel of the twentieth century."

It took me 40 days to read it, reading two hour per day. Some of Proust's sentences go on for two pages.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  16. Pa.Bill

Pa.Bill

Feb 28, 2007
    ON WATCH
    Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt,Jr.
    copyright 1976