close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What are the top 20 bug out / survival luxuries that are not luxuries?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Aceman, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Aug 21, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    :supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

Thanks! I'll definitely try that. Love how they stay in place, but ya, they really don't last very long.

2. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga

3. Jake514

Jake514

Feb 3, 2007
    Texas
    I recently found Under Armor socks - black ones that are great in hot weather.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  4. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    Dixie
    Tobacco. Many of the great survival stories of history hinged on the sweet leaf. Staves off hunger, soothes nerves, emboldens the spirit.

5. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    1000lbs sealed,We live in NC btw.'08. :whistling:

6. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Some will frown on this, but in addition to the attributes you list, it's also one of the adult personal indulgences that doesn't leave a person inebriated or otherwise incapacitated to one degree or another. And as we're talking about survival 'luxuries', I'd put it right there in the list, even for that reason alone.

7. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Aug 21, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    This is one that, for me, goes without saying. If SHTF, I'm more likely to forget my gun & food, than my smokes. :whistling:

8. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    Smokes also give away your position and are pretty bad for aerobic activity.

9. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Aug 21, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    If I'm hiding in a bush, trying not to be seen, that WON'T be the time for me to kick back and enjoy a smoke. However, when I'm in my car, getting the hell outta there, that stoke is going to be mighty tasty. And once at my safe spot, I'll smoke 'em at my leisure. :cool:

So is being overweight(which I'm not), or just out of shape from spending 9hrs a day behind a desk(which I don't).

I smoke, sure. But my job is a daily 8hr workout. When you spend your days pulling engines, replacing entire suspension systems, hand fabricating custom steel body panels, and breaking loose 45yr old rusted-in bolts... Stamina? I have it in spades.

10. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    A needle for splinters.
    mosquito repellant
    mesh screen for head gear.

11. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009

I wouldnt. They go stale and worthless in a matter of months. No legs at all on storage. Need to be fresh.

12. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    SHTF is a lot different from TEOTWAWKI, shorter even.

13. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    I'd say they're better fresh, not necessarily that they need to be. I keep a few cigars in my truck's console in an airtight container; a little one from pelican or some such, just to keep a few handy so I can grab one without going back into the house if I'm out by the burn pile, etc.

Not the best storage for them - and I do have a humidor in the house - but works surprisingly well for non-premium cigars. The good ones, I've never got to last real well, but the over-the-counter ones wrapped in cellophane do better. And as long as we're talking strictly about luxury or indulgence item, I'd rather have a semi-stale cigar than no cigar.

Fwiw, pipe tobacco is better for storage as it's much drier (or at least should be kept much drier). I have a couple pipes, but very rarely use either as pipes are inherently somewhat of a hassle imo.

The guy who "needs" his cigarettes is in trouble imo. I'm just a guy who enjoys a smoke on occasion; less than one a week on average.

[edit - a link on pipe tobacco storage. It really does lend itself better to storage than cigars and (probably) cigarettes. ]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  14. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    Car good. But, I don't think most people know how far smoke travels.

I just changed a lot of fluids - oil, transmission, axle on my 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 - not fun - but it runs and pulls great after 140K miles.

15. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

Jan 2, 2006
    Planet Earth

The first time i was medivaced I stole a inflatable pillow from the U.S.S. Repose. I drug it around the DMZ for months.

16. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Aug 21, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    No further than body odor, or meat being cooked on an open fire. Stinky feet, dropping a deuce, sound/smell of car engine/generator running...

If SHTF ends up with us being over-run by mutant bloodhounds, I'll worry bout crap like that. Otherwise...

"Gotta enjoy the little things."
    :supergrin:

17. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    Either you have not been in the outdoors or you have serious olfactory problems?

Cooking meat = stinky feet!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  18. alexanderg23

alexanderg23

May 13, 2009
    NW AR
    Cigs could become dang good bartering tools, just a good a some good moonshine.

19. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Aug 21, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Not sure I'm following the feet=meat bit, but I actually do spend quite a bit of time in the great outdoors. Mostly just camping & hiking/horsebacking, as of late. Though I've done my share of rappelling/rock climbing, WW rafting, etc...

What I'm saying is, I'm not gonna be a sniper behind enemy lines, hiding in a damn tree, trying not to give away my position. My friend Ron has property out 30mi north of Pipe Creek. TX. That's the go-to zone for all of us. Secluded, hard as hell to get to, and between all of us... We aren't gonna hold off a Military invasion, lol, but random people/mobs?

Good luck. :supergrin:

If you use your supreme tracking skills to trace back the smell of my smoke, you'll find it drifting up from behind a scope. At which point you'll be relieved of the heavy burden of whatever supplies you're carrying, at sent on your merry way.
    :whistling:

20. dogchild

dogchild

Apr 17, 2011
    Tejas
    Depending on how long bugout might last, you might consider a Farmers Almanac.
    Instructions on how to make LYE, your going to need it to decompose human waste, and dead things around your compound area.
    You can make soap and concrete with lye as well