What are the prices like at Gun Shows ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Tx1911, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Just came back from Dallas Arms Collector's show:
    Pistols are pretty close to before; panic hasn't seem to change their prices much.
    Rifles are crazy; typically $3-5K for AR-15s and AKs around $1500-2K. Stripped lowers around $400.
    Magpul PMAGS starting at $30 and up to $50. Magazines in general are higher overall.
    Didn't really check ammo.

Lots of fear overall and concerns about where things are going from everyone.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 stsai465, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. If it is a NIB M-A1/S-A1 model you should seriously consider buying it. I've had both models in 9mm (have only one now) and both are excellent, well-made Austrian pistols.

3. I almost decided to go. Thank god I decided against it. My new safe was delivered, but I really wanted to go check it out just like I'm sure you did J. No telling how insane it was inside!! Don't blame you though!

4. prices at the Gun shows near me are crazy right now, the prices on items before this fiasco were not the best deals though, I always shop online when I can

5. There was one vendor at the show who had a sign with 5.56 ammo priced at $.50/round. We asked him if he had any more in stock, and he quietly and sadly shook his head. I'm guessing his stock was wiped out in the first 15 minutes. He was probably thinking of all the profit that went out the window by not pricing higher.

6. This thread makes me sad. I had no idea prices had gone that high.

I don't remember the exact date but about 10 or so days before the CT school shooting I purchased a Glock 17 for $480 plus tax at a local gun store. It of course came with two mags. I went to Cabelas after this an bought one more mag for about $30 as I recall. I'm glad I bought the Glock when I did because I bought it on a whim..... I have tons of handguns, long guns and didn't really want or need an addition Glock.

Today gun prices, mag prices, ammo prices are really getting scary...... I long for the "good old days".

:wavey::wavey:

7. Not a gun show, but I just went to a new Gun Store here in town this evening: DGS Discount Gun Sales. They had a Colt 6920 on the wall, new, for $2,999.00. As I was there, a guy came in and gave the clerk a piece of his mind about the prices. I shook the guys hand and patted him on the shoulder.

Then I listened to the clerk, and there's nothing the LGS's can do about the price. What the distributors send, they send with a price. The clerk was just as frustrated by the prices as the customers. And he's rationing ammo 10 boxes/person.

God, these times suck so much balls.

8. At this point in time, I have 2 guns on my "want" list, and they are not highly sought after AR or Semi auto pistol types. A Ruger revolver and a Ruger 10/22. Would hope to find both in nice used condition. I may just focus on stockpiling ammo for the next 6 months or so or banking the money I set aside for gun purchases. A show will be in town in about 1 month, I may skip it as I am sure I would be standing outside in the cold for a long time and it is a good 1 hour drive to the venue.

9. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I no longer go to gun shows. For the past few years all I've seen at the shows is beat up looking worn out junk, priced a lot higher than brand new guns go for in stores. It seemed kind of obvious that most of the vendors were aiming to sell to guys who can't go to a store and buy one legally, because it makes no sense to assume that the rest of us would over pay for a gun when we know we don't have to.

10. I'm going to find out in just a few days. tom.:dunno:

11. Gun shows are a rip-off. Not only you have to PAY to get in, but prices are rediculous (even before the latest craze), inventory sucks and most people there are retarded. Felt my IQ drop just by being there. Went to one years ago and told myself never again.

12. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

Me too. Headed to the show at Wasilla High School next weekend. I won't even look sideways at the black guns. I'll be looking for the smoking deals on old lever guns and revolvers. Old ammo too.:cool:

13. the illegal buyer part anyway. Some areas just don't have a good selection of stores to buy from. My area for example has 1 decent shop and a few small fries. I never see anything at the small fries worth buying, not sure how they stay in business. You want a bigger selection, you may have to drive a few hours to get to a bigger store or big box store. That takes time, fuel, $$$$. You go to the show with a shopping list, KNOW YOUR PRICES, and start sifting thru the inventory to see if you can find what you are after. Expect it to be a dumping ground for stuff you won't buy, but someone else might. Remember the vendor also had to pay for his spot at the show, pack up and truck all that stuff in and if it does not sell, he trucks it on back to the shop. So he has a break even point as well. He may be at the show to unload inventory at a price he can live with, where others see it as gouging. But I would expect prices at a show to be 10% higher than in store on certain items, but the stores NOW have already jacked prices on AR stuff and not so much so are the show prices that far out of line with what has already taken place in stores?

Here is a strategy I would try. For example I am in the market for a Ruger 3" GP100, 95%+ condition. I have watched several auction sites for a few weeks and have determined that a fair price on that gun is a range of $400-$450. If I see one at the show and it passes my inspection, I'm a buyer at my price we'll say $415. Seller wants $485. New price is $530-$560. If we can not come to an agreement on a price in negotiations then I'll write my price on a business card along with my cell # and a time of my intended departure. Tell the seller I'll be here until then, if he wants to sell that is my final price. And move on. You would not overpay in the store, why over pay at the show? You also can't be a knucklehead about it, the reality is that in today's market, guns are holding their prices very well.

14. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

OMG!:wow:

A LEO friend of mine, went to the Fredericksburg GS a couple of weeks ago, and said that PMags were going for $100.00 apiece.

I had no idea that Colt ARs would go for $5,000.00!!!

For that kind of $$$, I'd sell my NIB 6721, and that is NO Bovine Scatology!!!!!
    (I paid 1/5th that price.)

#35 byf43, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  15. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

I have been a vendor at many gun shows. Never would I, or any other vendor I know sell a firearm to anyone who we thought could not purchase one legally. I ask questions when I sell. Answer them wrong and you won't buy from me. Smell like booze and you won't buy from me. Act strangely and you won't buy from me. Refuse to show ID and you won't buy from me.

16. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

I went to the local gun show at the county fairgrounds this past weekend (Dickson, TN). Prices have definitely gone up on a lot of stuff. I picked up a Taurus 85 UltraLite in black for $369 new. The stainless one at Academy Sports is still advertised for $279. $90 difference for virtually the same gun. I went ahead and bought it anyway because I wanted it in black. Bought an assortment of different calibers of ammo too. Some of it was priced normally, but some was priced about 80% mark up. Rediculous! Anyway... looks like we're going to be paying out the wazoo for a while. :upeyes:

17. There are a lot of the "Discount Gun" chain stores here, all by the same company even with slightly different names. They are full of it claiming that they don't set prices. They have always been expensive. These are the same guys who charge $75 FFL transfer and refuse to transfer from Bud's because they don't want the competition. They're just out for the extra bucks like so many others.

Adam

#38 89MustangGX, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  18. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Going to one this weekend out of curiosity. Rarely find any good deals under the best of circumstances, so I'm expecting some really outrageous prices now.

Don't know how anyone is going to be able to buy a firearm anyway. The agency conducting the background checks here in CO is so overwhelmed and backlogged that it's currently taking a week to complete a background check. Most vendors at these shows are from out of town, so that's really going to make it inconvenient for buyers.

19. I walked into walmart last thursday and bought a shotgun and was in and out in 15 minutes.Not bad considering how many people are buying

if you have a cwp does it actually go faster? obviously it doesnt matter for a long gun in florida but I bought a g29 2 weeks ago and I was in and out in about the same amount of time