close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What are the odds of getting a "bad" Wiley Clapp GP100 if I order one?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by nsl, Aug 7, 2012.

1. nsl

nsl

Mar 10, 2009
    Can't find them anywhere local, so I am thinking of ordering one. Thing is, I'm scared of getting one with a canted barrel, crooked sights, bad crown, etc, that Ruger and S&W seemed to be plagued with these days. Would it being a Wiley Clapp model lessen the chances of it being bad? Can't have a $700 piece of junk.

2. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Let me put it in a different light and from my perspective of decades of Ruger ownership

I have never gotten a bad Ruger but I know problems can happen for any manufacturer. I do know that Ruger is good, from the rare reportsof others about correcting problems.

A "Bad" model of a special run would be really unusual. That I can tell you, but again it does happen. I bought one of the early flat top .44 specials and it was the best fitting and finished SA Ruger I have ever seen from the factory. OTOH I did "Hear" on the 'net of some people having finish problems but i was never able to find decent substantiation. I would be as sure of a Ruger "Wiley Clapp" as any handgun coming out of any factory and more than most of them at that.

3. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

Feb 22, 2002
    I agree with countrygun - I'd say your odds are about zero. And if there was something wrong with it, Ruger would make it right.

4. KingWalleye

KingWalleye

Jan 6, 2011
  5. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  6. Agree with the forum. the Sturm Ruger company of today is as good as they have ever been, and are constantly turning out quality stuff. Old Bill was a genius but he took the wrong side of the AWB and the company fell out of favor.

One thing to consider, though. This gun is probably warranted by TALO, first, and Ruger second, since they did the modifications and upgrades.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/m-articlepage.aspx?id=4007&cid=26

Being a modified, custom gun, I'd be totally confident they started with a perfect gun before their mods...wouldn't make sense for them not to.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine