close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What are some good binoculars?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rick458, Apr 29, 2012.

1. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

I HAD a nice pair of Bausch & Lamb 10x50 armored that cost about $250, but I haven't seen them in several years, I think they might have gotten borrowed, but I have moved as well so who knows.
    Every time the Wife and I go on a nature walk, she asks about Binos, so I think I will get her a Nice pair (of Binoculars)
    for christmas.
    Tell me what you have and how you like them (e.g. wieght, clarity, cost, etc...)

2. rolltide_pisco

rolltide_pisco NRA Life Member

Nikon and Bushnell have good brands. Leupold is ok but expensive. I would say Nikon Trailblazer 10x42

3. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

4. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

The 10x30 IS looks nice $400 was what I was thinking on spending too

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  5. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Nikon and Bushnell have a good value/pricing options vs more expensive ones.

:50cal:

6. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer Silver Member CLM

7. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

if you are not walking in the wide open but with trees

It can be hard to find birds with 10x.

8. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I'm sure those are very nice, you also should take a look at the Leupold Wind River line. I believe they are made in Japan as well but the quality is very good.

http://www.scruggsfarm.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=88296800

9. saddlebum

saddlebum

lieca or swarovski

10. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

Another vote for Nikon. They may not be in the Steiner or Zeiss class, but I believe they are the best at their price points. Amazon and Opticsplanet.com have good reasonable prices on them. I have a 10 year old set of Nikon's that have seen rough service and they are as clear and vivid as when new. Good luck.

11. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

I hapenned upon an old pair of M19 military binoculars. They're good sized and not light, but man, best I've ever owned.

12. woodasptim

woodasptim

I looked thru a dozen or so pairs last week wondering the same thing. After comparing them all side by side, I decided on the Leupold Mojave in 10x42 for $399. They were clearer and brighter than even the Nikon Monarchs that cost $200 more.

13. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

I agree both of those are VERY good, but I give the Leica the award for (in my opinion) the best binoculars you can buy.

Of course, I don't own them....too pricey for my budget. I have some Fujinon's that are kind of a poor man's Leica's.

But if cost was no object, Leica would be my choice.:supergrin:

14. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

A "nice" pair similar to a friends I have used.... [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Swarovski-Optik-Swarovision-12X50-Binoculars/dp/B004JLYHAU"]Amazon.com: Swarovski Optik Swarovision 12X50 Binoculars, (Green): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VJsLof3YL.@@AMEPARAM@@41VJsLof3YL[/ame]

15. Caladan

Caladan

Since it's just for nature walks, I would recommend that you stick with 6x to 8x. No need for the extra weight and bulk of a 10x (or image stabilization, unless she has some kind of palsy), and I'm sure your wife will appreciate something that is very easy to carry. I would recommend a set of compact binoculars, and I wouldn't recommend a really expensive set until you find out if she really would use, or even want a set of expensive glass. If she decides she wants better glass, she will be able to direct your search for something that fits her needs very closely because she will know how much power she wants, or how much weight she can tolerate (*very* important when hiking), and how much money she wants to spend.

See if you can find a set of Pentax UCF 8x21 or 8x25. These are better than the compacts from Leupold or Nikon or Bushnell. The only problem with them is finding them. Seems that the big-box stores always carry the mass-market brands such as Leupold and Nikon, but less often Pentax. If you can't try these, then you might look at the Nikon compacts, which are fairly easy to find. Whatever you do, do not get any brand of zoom lense compact, or compacts from Steiner, Minox, Tasco, or Barska.

Another good choice for a lightweight, easily-totable binoculars is the Leupold Yosemites, which come in 6x and 8x. They have the best glass under $100, and actually top other sets that cost almost twice as much. These can be found at places like Gander and Cabelas and Academy, so try a set before you buy. You will find that they are all the binocular that the average person would ever need. Actually, the Yosemite is the only price class where Leupold has a decent product. In every other price class, there are better binoculars out there than Leupold.

The Bushnell Elite Custom 7x26 might also be a great hiking binocular, but I haven't used one of these. Check into them if you can.

If you want an 8x30, then look at the Vortex HD's such as the Talon, the Pentax DCF SP 8x32, or the slightly larger 8x43 Zen Ray ED2/3. Also give consideration to the Kowa 8x32 on sale at creedmoorsports.com.

16. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Where are you seeing Monarchs for $599? They are usually $200-$250.

As said: Nikon, Bushenll and Leupold make some more affordable glass. Zeiss, Leica and Swaros if you really want to step up.

Vortex is a great value in glass though.

17. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I had a pair of Fujinon Polaris 7x50 that were the best binoculars I ever had. I made the mistake of loaning them out and they never came back. I don't have a boat right now so never replaced them. If I had a boat to go offshore again I'd probably get another pair.

18. woodasptim

woodasptim

DNW in Jonesboro. The price on the tag was $598 and they said Nikon, I'm pretty sure they also said Monarch. I didn't notice any other details though. :dunno:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  19. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

I've been, 'all around the world' with binoculars. (I have, twice, 'birded' with Roger Tory Peterson - himself!) The two best optical companies on the planet are Zeiss, and Leica. (Schmidt & Bender, too, if you're talking rifle scopes.)

I own an older pair of Zeiss 10x40b B/GAT*P binoculars. (I've kept them, 'like new'.) The 10x40b is an extraordinarily excellent pair of binoculars; but, truthfully, the Leica binoculars might be just slightly better. Either way, when you look through a pair of binoculars of this quality, you'll think you are standing right there!

http://www.optics4birding.com/leica-binoculars.html
    http://www.optics4birding.com/zeiss-binoculars.html

Here's the Zeiss model I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Class...330721618422?pt=Binocular&hash=item4d008b69f6 Can't say enough good about them! :thumbsup:

20. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

yeah, there are some other Nikon's that go that high

Love Zeiss glass. I am having a 6.5-20X Conquest put on my .30-378 right now.