close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What are Policemen made of?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by jwagess, Aug 17, 2011.

1. jwagess

jwagess
    Expand Collapse

By Paul Harvey
    Don't credit me with the mongrel prose: it has many parents-at least 420,000 of them: Policemen.

A Policeman is a composite of what all men are, mingling of a saint and sinner, dust and deity.

Gulled statistics wave the fan over the stinkers, underscore instances of dishonesty and brutality because they are "new". What they really mean is that they are exceptional, unusual, not commonplace.

Buried under the frost is the fact: Less than one-half of one percent of policemen misfit the uniform. That's a better average than you'd find among clergy!

What is a policeman made of? He, of all men, is once the most needed and the most unwanted. He's a strangely nameless creature who is "sir" to his face and "fuzz" to his back

He must be such a diplomat that he can settle differences between individuals so that each will think he won.

But...If the policeman is neat, he's conceited; if he's careless, he's a bum. If he's pleasant, he's flirting;if not, he's a grouch.

He must make an instant decision which would require months for a lawyer to make.

But...If he hurries, he's careless; if he's deliberate, he's lazy. He must be first to an accident and infallible with his diagnosis. He must be able to start breathing, stop bleeding, tie splints and, above all, be sure the victim goes home without a limp. Or expect to be sued.

The police officer must know every gun, draw on the run, and hit where it doesn't hurt.He must be able to whip two men twice his size and half his age without damaging his uniform and without being "brutal". If you hit him, he's a coward. If he hits you, he's a bully.

A policeman must know everything-and not tell. He must know where all the sin is and not partake.

A policeman must, from a single strand of hair, be able to describe the crime, the weapon and the criminal- and tell you where the criminal is hiding.

But...If he catches the criminal, he's lucky; if he doesn't, he's a dunce. If he gets promoted, he has political pull; if he doesn't, he's a dullard. The policeman must chase a bum lead to a dead-end, stake out ten nights to tag one witness who saw it happen-but refused to remember.

The policeman must be a minister, a social worker, a diplomat, a tough guy and a gentleman.

And, of course, he'd have to be genius....For he will have to feed a family on a policeman's salary.

I remember Paul reading this many years ago one might, while I was working the night shift. Thought I'd share with you youngsters:wavey:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me
    Expand Collapse
    Semper Paratus

3. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3
    Expand Collapse
    SDMF

I remember this. Good stuff.

4. Sharkey

Sharkey
    Expand Collapse

Dang, I was gonna say - frogs n snails n puppy dog tails.

5. Vigilant

Vigilant
    Expand Collapse

Page Two.......

6. razdog76

razdog76
    Expand Collapse
    Heavy Mettle

Hmm, various pork products?:supergrin:

7. opelwasp

opelwasp
    Expand Collapse
    ZOG/MORON LUBE

Paul Harvey, a man, and a legend. I have much respect for that man. God rest his soul.

8. x_out86

x_out86
    Expand Collapse

+1.

You have to watch this video of him reading it...For some reason I get much more emotional hearing it from such a person as Paul Harvey speaking such kind words.

http://youtu.be/bB9-NcunsKc

#8 x_out86, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  9. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8
    Expand Collapse

Good stuff, thanks for posting!

10. bigskinny

bigskinny
    Expand Collapse

Donuts. :tongueout:

Sorry,just could'nt resist.:supergrin:

11. 3Speedyfish3

3Speedyfish3
    Expand Collapse

That really captures the double-edged sword to being a police officer. No good work appreciated, no good act not suspect, no compensation enough for the human wrongs seen. And we come back each shift for more... I'm proud to work alongside you guys.

Randall

12. janice6

janice6
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

Paul Harvey is an exceptional and so are his viewpoints.