close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What AR stuff to buy incase of a upcoming ban?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by grapony, Oct 26, 2012.

1. grapony

grapony

Nov 1, 2008
    Northwest, AL
    I've got a complete AR already but was thinking about picking some extra hard parts, during the Clinton ban what AR stuff was banned? Was it just the lower? Or was it all the AR parts? In other words do I need to pickup a spare lower? I can get them for a good price here in town.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    There isn't going to be another "ban" like the 94 AWB.

That said, if you're worried about trying to build/buy one during the "rush" before/post election, look to lowers/magazines.

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I think a hi-cap mag ban is far more likely than a firearm ban. But the odds of either happening is quite low, IMO. Prices are another matter though, they are going up, at least temporarily, if Obama wins.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  4. Kirishiac

Kirishiac

May 20, 2007
    I bought a couple stripped mega receivers and 20 30rnd magazines.

5. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Your best bet is buying as many magazines as you can. They aren't going to go down in value, and if there is a ban you will be glad you have them.

One thing though, if there is a ban it may not be like the first AWB where things were grandfathered in, it could be a complete outright ban of certain guns and magazines.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    What's a hi-cap mag? Are you talking standard capacity, 30 round magazines?

7. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I highly doubt we will be seeing any serious attempts at federal gun control laws any time soon.

Meanwhile, one of the main reasons prices are spiking again, and availability is dropping is from people panic buying before the election. Some of it is also from people buying now in the hopes of turning a big profit if Obama gets reelected by continuing with the fear-mongering that some folks have already tried starting up again.

8. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Dec 31, 1998
    Indianapolis, IN
    A possible consideration based on the 94 ban: if you buy AR lowers, assemble them into complete rifles, even if temporarily, and somehow document that fact. A lower was considered preban under the old law if it was produced AND ASSEMBLED INTO A COMPLETE RIFLE before the September 1994 cutoff date.

9. SpectreRider

SpectreRider Armed Citizen

I too think that it is unlikely that a new AWB will be put into place... But, I have given the idea some thought and decided that mags are the most vulnerable to a ban. Nothing in the 2A protects magazines. Ten rounds is the typical size limit spoken of.

There are probably millions of thirty round AR mags already produced. If they are grandfathered in there will not be an immediate and severe shortage. PMAGS on the other hand will be in short supply. There are not huge stockpiles of those sitting in warehouses.

I made sure to buy a few of those to go along with each lower in the safe.

10. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    Get a repair kit. Politics aside, since you brought it up you will feel better if you have some replacement parts.

11. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Not a chance.

12. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Keep it simle...Spare parts, ammo, and extra mags.

13. dukeguy

dukeguy

Jul 15, 2010
    There's something here I don't understand. Why do some think there is absolutely no chance of another ban or attempted ban? The progressives have been working at their agenda for decades. They don't give up. What makes you think they will just roll over on this one?

I'm not suggesting that we all panic and run out and buy this or that. But I do think it would be wise for us to be vigilant about our rights. There are those in power who would take away those rights in a heartbeat.

14. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    Because there could always be another ban, or executive order, or whatever that results in you being stripped of your rights and property.

Worrying about it, or buying things in preparation for a completely hypothetical ban, is a waste of money and energy. It would suck, a lot, to max out a credit card buying things just because you thought that a ban would work a certain way, then have all of your debt bought stuff confiscated because the ban went through in a different way.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

Ostriches,......heads buried in the sand. They WILL try, not sure
    if we will get another ban, but they WILL try another.
    More magazine bans will surely be a hot topic. I prefer the 20
    round mags, so I am fine with the amount of mags I have on hand.

I recently bought a 1983 pre-ban Colt SP1. I also have another
    BCM/Spikes build as well.

16. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida

News flash, they have already tried - TWICE. That's just in the last 4 years. After the Giffords shooting and after the Aurora, CO shooting the usual suspects in the House and Senate screamed for a magazine ban and a return of the AWB (respectively). Hell, the Brady Campaign even came out with new ads calling for a ban on "assault clips" :)upeyes:) after the Giffords shooting. Yet neither attempt ever made it out of committee.

Why?

Because support for additional gun control is at a historic low. Republicans control the House, and even many Democrats oppose gun control now, as they view it as career suicide. Outside of the usual suspects of Feinstein, McCarthy, et al., most Democrats have learned their lesson after the absolute creaming they took in the mid-term elections after the '94 AWB was passed. Democrats lost control of the House for the first time in 40 years as a result of that election, and they have not forgotten it.

So long as the Republican party controls the House, and many Senate Democrats treat gun control as anathema, you will not be seeing any new significant gun control measures.

(Cue the usual "But....executive orders!!!")

17. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    Agree.

18. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    Think positive.

There will be no bans of any kind.

:cool:

19. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    hi cap, low cap, standard cap, car-bean, car-bine, mag, clip, ... everyone know exactly what these words mean when used in a sentence.

..and I agree, a hi-cap ban is probably what we would see if anything new comes along. I think Ive still gone about 15 or so pmags in my cart. I should probably go ahead and buy them.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012