What AR do I want?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Oct 3, 2012.

1. I like my Smith AR I bought just about four years ago. Great rifle, has shot everything I've put through it.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. combatmedic78

combatmedic78 SempreEnHostes

I love my PWS. I am only waiting for my 1-6x optic to come for it.

3. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

OP do your research. You have plenty of time to make a wise decision.

4. Yep, the 6920 is good to go for both 5.56 and .223. If your rifle is chambered for 5.56, you can shoot both 5.56 and .223, but it is not recommended to shoot 5.56 in a rifle chambered for .223.

ETA: forgot to add another thumbs up vote for the Colt. Anything from Colt, BCM, DD, etc. would serve you quite well.

#24 larson1122, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  5. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

6. I've shot some 5.56 in my bolt .223. Don't know if I should have, but didn't notice any problems.

What rate of twist is best in an AR? Seems lots of people run heavy bullets, such as for deer. My bolt doesn't stabilize the heavies.

7. If there is a Dicks Sporting Goods near you, go there and buy the Troy AR that Troy is making exclusively for Dicks. It's $1099.99 and if you bought every part separate and tried to build it, you would spend somewhere between $1300-$1400. Best part is that Dicks usually has $100 off $1000+ for rifles. Then sign up for the Dicks card and get 10% off (another $100). You can get it for $900 BEFORE tax!! I bought one yesterday to add to my collection, paid $972 with tax. This rifle is a steal at that price!

8. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Shooting 55g you'd probably do best with 1/8 or 1/9 twist. The colt uses 1/7 and does better with heavier weights. My 6920 hates 55g past 50 yds

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

9. Arggh!

Thanks for that info. I'd hate to have to use different ammo in both my .223's.

Are soft points ok in an AR? Do they cycle ok? Dirty the action up, or perhaps the barrel?

I suppose I could keep two different types of ammo, but that isn't something I want to do. I already have 16 different calibers/gauges :)

10. They can leave lead fouling on the feed ramps, but that's easy to clean.

Meanwhile, I have had no less than TWO 14.5" Colt barrels (pinned/welded, of course) that grouped just fine with 55 grain ammo at 100 yards using an Aimpoint M2. Some guns will do fine, some will not.

#31 WoodenPlank, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  11. You could also take a look at the Colt 6721. They are available with the 1/9 twist rate if that is what you would prefer for the lighter bullets. I own one and it has been great for me so far. The difference between a 6721 and the 6920 is the slightly heavier HBAR barrel on the 6721. Since you mention this would mainly be used as a range gun, a few extra ounces isn't a huge deal.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

...........+1

13. What is the HBAR barrel?

As far as I can tell, with barrels in general, Colt seems to have the 16" as 1-7" and the 20" as 1-9". Wonder why that is.

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

HBAR

Heavy barrel.........not needed or recommended in my opinion.

15. There's a few pictures here that might help show the difference: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41436

I agree, it is not a necessity, just thought I would throw another option out there to consider. The OP mentioned maybe adding a scope and the HBAR would give a slight increase in accuracy, even though that increase isn't exactly substantial.

16. That's a great short thread. Pictures of the barrels and the slight accuracy advantage of the given HBAR. Also mention of 1-9" not stabilizing the heavy bullets well.

17. Love my M&P

Sent from my iPhone

18. What kind of ammo does it like and what group sizes are you getting?

19. This has not been thrown out yet and would be an option if you are looking for accuracy - a stainless steel barrel.

An SS barrel will not be as durable as a chrome-lined barrel, but they are generally more accurate. You could do a few things:

1. Buy a BCM lower and a BCM SS410 stainless upper. You could come in at the higher end of your budget with a very accurate and high quality rifle.

2. The Larue predatAR is an AR with a thinner profile SS barrel. It would run higher than your budget but it is a very fine rifle and should get you 1.5moa groups and smaller. Some report sub-moa groups if the barrel isn't allowed to heat up.

3. Buy a complete lower receiver and have Rainier arms build you an upper. They have a lot of high quality components and many, many folks say their customer service is second to none.

I would recommend that if you go with a SS barrel that you go either 1:7 or 1:8 with a Wylde chamber or comparable chamber. They will shoot both 5.56mm and .223 rem. A barrel with a 1:8 twist should give you the ability to shoot up to ~77 grains. It will also shoot 55 grain bullets just fine. In fact, a 1:7 barrel should shoot 55 grain bullets just fine, IMHO.

With the right SS barrel you wouldn't add a lot of weight and would have one heck of a shooter for an semi-automatic rifle. But, it is not optimal for mag dump sessions. A chrome-lined barrel will hold up longer.