close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What AMMO for home defense?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by dajcarroll, Jul 10, 2012.

1. dajcarroll

dajcarroll
    Expand Collapse

A few threads on here about what shotgun to use in a home defense situation. I wanna know what y'all are using for ammo in your home defense shotgun(s). 12 or 20 gauge... doesn't matter.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
    Savage Model 24 - .22LR/410

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 dajcarroll, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. CourtCop

CourtCop
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Winchester 12 gauge #1 buck, but would love to find some of the Federal #1 buck to try.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

Winchester 00 buck. Hard to argue with 8 .32 cal pellets coming at you.

4. dajcarroll

dajcarroll
    Expand Collapse

I realized I forgot to add what I'm using: Winchester SuperX 3" 00 Magnum Buckshot (15 pellets)

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

5. Buffering

Buffering
    Expand Collapse
    The Cooler

Seriously? The 3" vs low recoil 2 3/4" buckshot has been hashed out on so many occasions that my head hurts. While only being slightly curt the general answers are as follows:

1. You don't need a 3" magnum buckshot load for HD.

2. Any 2 3/4" low recoil buckshot load that is 00 or #1 is very, very capable and you'd be doing yourself a huge favor by sticking to those offerings.

3. Some people highly recommend Federal Flitecontrol ammo in either 00 or #1 buck. Others say that it's a solid round but the benefits might not be fully recognized at less than 25 feet. I have the Federal 132-00 but also have a sh--ton of non-Flite Control too. I don't think it makes all that much difference for most people.

4. What the F was your thought process in deciding that a 3" magnum load was the uber perfect solution to your future problems?

6. dajcarroll

dajcarroll
    Expand Collapse

One of the main reasons I started this thread was to find out what everyone was using... what the most commonly used, and most preferred was so that I (and others) could learn a thing or two. I'm a hand gun guy... new to shotguns for home defense. I've shot #7 and #8 birdshot hunting with my dad, but I've always used handguns for HD. Honestly, I got this load because a buddy recommended it, and the box states it is great for HD... and it was $5.95 at Wal-Mart. Oh, and my 12 gauge is a single shot. I figured if I have to get em in one shot I might as well pack a big punch.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

#6 dajcarroll, Jul 10, 2012
  7. Buffering

Buffering
    Expand Collapse
    The Cooler

If you're a 'Mart shopper, grab the 15 pack of either the Winchester or Remington 00 buck low recoil ammo. It's not hi tech but at across the room distances, it will be perfectly fine. It's cheap for practicing, readily available and you can get in a lot of reloading drills :)tongueout:). The 3" goose ammo is overkill being akin to killing a gnat with a sledgehammer instead of with your hand. I have a good amount of those Win and Rem loads in my rainy day fund.

8. dajcarroll

dajcarroll
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I'll look for the Winchester 00. I like their stuff. I take it it's 2 3/4"? I have plenty of #8 shot for practicing. I'm a quick reloader. Ha. All my dad ever had was single shot... that's what I'm use to so that's what I got. Maybe someday I'll splurge for a pump action, but I like simple and old school.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

9. jb1911

jb1911
    Expand Collapse

This is what I've settled on, too. I don't think the brand matters.

10. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

I will spare everyone another post of my pic of the ammo I've tested, but I have found that, much like .22s. shotguns tend to be a bit brand picky with "genral" buck shot loads, not much, but what one shoots best another doesn't. the low recoil, managed recoil, tactical loads are much more consistent form gun to gun. It always pays to check for your guns preference. Really, the 5 round boxed don't cost all that much. You can test 5 different brands for the cost of one 50rd box of some pistol ammo.

11. Buffering

Buffering
    Expand Collapse
    The Cooler

The Winchester is fine however don't spend your money online or in-store for the Winchester Mil Spec 00 buck. Don't do it unless you have money to spare.

That ammo has been taken apart and dissected and all it is is the same Winchester bulk pack that you're buying at Walmart. Winchester put an OD hull on it, a blackened base and stuck it in a brown box with some mil type writing but rest assured, it is the same ammo with the same specs as the bulk Winchester. The shot is the same, the wad is the same, the powder is the same.

It's a money maker for Winchester and a money loser for you.

12. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler
    Expand Collapse

I have a 20Ga. and use #3 buckshot. If I had a 12 Ga. I'd probably use #4 buck.

13. copo9560

copo9560
    Expand Collapse

What is the barrel length on your single shot? Short barrel with cylinder bore is probably the best option for HD.

I don't typically keep a shotgun for HD but do have some 3 inch 12 Ga with BB shot just in case. Far from ideal but I'm pretty certain at HD range these would be highly effective.

14. Angry Fist

Angry Fist
    Expand Collapse
    *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad
    2. Show Me Glockers

Win 00 Buck.

Dragon's Breath in case they get lippy and need their mouth washed out.

#14 Angry Fist, Jul 10, 2012
  15. mingaa

mingaa
    Expand Collapse

I have a few rounds of 00 buck that I'm happy with in my HD shotgun. From the destruction and penetration I've done (to inanimate 'targets') in the field with 2 3/4" I'm perfectly fine with that. My mossberg 930 is 7+ 1 and I've unloaded 8 rounds of magnum 3" on a cinder block. The results weren't exactly dust but 1 or 2 rounds of 2 3/4 against a BG will more than sit him down and shut him up - IMHO.

#15 mingaa, Jul 10, 2012
  16. dajcarroll

dajcarroll
    Expand Collapse

Measured 27.5" barrel non rifled, 43" total gun length... def not a short barrel.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

17. dajcarroll

dajcarroll
    Expand Collapse

Haha, what is Dragon's Breath?

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

18. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

A fast way to burn one's house down.

Currently my shotgun is loaded with Remington LE low recoil 00. As soon as I can pattern test it, I plan to switch to Federal low recoil #1.

19. dajcarroll

dajcarroll
    Expand Collapse

Haha, nevermind. Googled it.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

20. wrenrj1

wrenrj1
    Expand Collapse

This, except I went fo the #2 Buck for the 20 ga. The 12 ga. is #4. Gotta love the 20 ga. shotty.