close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What about LRRP's

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by walkin man, Sep 25, 2011.

1. walkin man

walkin man

Apr 21, 2001
    N Al
    Any old guys besides me remember the old vietnam era freeze dried rations called LRRP's or long rats? Short for long range ration patrol. Those were good chow with a little hot sauce. Or mayby I was just hungry all the time then. I would like to find something comparable now to supplement my food stores.
    walkin man

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Never heard of them. How are they better than MREs?

3. you can sometimes find them on sites like beprepared.com but anymore mountain house is much easier to get and stock.

they arent obsolete as i know i had several in a-stan a few years ago.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  4. walkin man

walkin man

Apr 21, 2001
    N Al
    They were freeze/dehydrated so they were real light. You could eat them dry in a pinch but you had to drink a lot of water if you did. Half a canteen cup of hot water, a shake of hot sauce and 10 minutes later you had a good meal. That is the chicken and rice, beef stew were my favorites. Chile con carne, man those beens never did rehydrate and the gas attacks later, whew.

walkin man

5. medicguy94

medicguy94

May 18, 2008
    I have heard of them and even ate one years ago. I thought it was pretty good.

6. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

Jun 17, 2008
    I heard you could tell if Charlie's morale was low by looking for drag marks from his rifles...is that true?

7. spencer1860

spencer1860

Apr 8, 2008
    There was one with coconut in it that was incredibly good. I think the original production ones are well past their "eat by" dates....

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    Guess I'm old, too. The cornflake bars were great.

Today's equivalent? Mountain House.

9. Ham & MOTHERS!!!!! and John Wayne Bars !!!!!!!!!!

10. walkin man

walkin man

Apr 21, 2001
    N Al
    Yeah, I have a good bit of Mtn House stored away. I just miss the old long rats and wish someone still made them.

Not the ham and mothers though :cool:

walkin man

11. Chindo18Z

Chindo18Z

Apr 17, 2010
    I sorta grew up on LRRPs back in the day. As near as I could ever tell, some of the main meals were Mountain House.

There is no difference between some of the old ration entrees and today's Mountain House Beef Stroganoff, Spaghetti, and Chicken and Rice meals.

Add some canteen water, rubber band the top of the bag, place into your jungle fatigue cargo pocket, keep moving for a half hour or so until you established a patrol base, and the meal was hydrated and semi-warm from body heat...ready to eat with a splash of Tobasco. :pirates:

12. walkin man

walkin man

Apr 21, 2001
    N Al
    Yeah, that was a growing up experience for an 18 year old kid. Thats the way we fixed supper to, couldn't do with out that little bottle of Tobasco.

walkin man