close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What a stupid thing to do...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by CigarandScotch, Oct 6, 2012.

1. porschedog

porschedog

Sep 29, 2009
    I think Facebook is great... If you are a 13 year old girl. I'm not, so it doesn't do much for me
    I certainly would not use it to broadcast that I own, use and carry a gun, nor let folks know when I'm away from home (which is when the pack of wolf hybrids are guarding my dachshunds)

2. Adams454

Adams454

Mar 2, 2000
    Hardly working
    That's pretty much how I am. It's so normal among my friends and family that I wouldn't even give the discussion a second thought. I post range pics and videos on fb all the time.

3. maximus1079

maximus1079

Oct 3, 2012
    New England
    I'm from Boston......the more people who know you carry the bigger the bullseye on your back from every gangbanger and his grandma that want a piece of your "piece"!!!

4. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    You know, maybe by his posting someone else got interested in carrying and shooting sports and our fight gained one more soldier. Stop being so darned paranoid about people knowing if you are carrying.

Most people that know me know that my wife and I are armed. If they ask about it I offer to take them to the range and introduce them to firearms. I encourage folks to get involved and enjoy the hobby. That is the only way we will overcome the antigun folks.

Concealed does mean concealed. But to me that means that every joe walking by me doesn't know I'm carrying, not that my friends don't know.

5. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Jan 27, 2009
    CT
    In CT, your carry permit is your license to purchase a handgun. It also allows you to purchase long arms and take them home the same day without the 15 day waiting period. Therefore, I know many people who obtain their permit and never carry.

A person who says they are obtaining their permit does not necessarily lead me to conclude that person actually intends to carry.

6. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

Jan 26, 2012
    Las Vegas
    You won't find me on Facebook, Twitter, or any other "social media" site.

Besides, I don't give a damn if someone I know is getting ready to go to the frickin grocery store.

I have a life...Thank You.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  7. G23Gen4.40

G23Gen4.40 .40 Rocks

Mar 8, 2012
    SW Ohio
    I find it funny how people rag on Facebook (a social media site) on Glocktalk (a social media site).

8. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Hilarious....so you are posting on a social media site (that is what Glock Talk is) saying we won't find you on any social media site.

Found ya!

P.S. But if you don't consider forums to be social media, that is ok. Semantics....but there is certainly a fine line. And forums are really the precursor to the more advanced social media sites. But in many many aspects they are the same thing.

p.p.s. I do worry about posting too much info on Facebook, but of course it is only viewable to friends. I'm careful about who I'll be friends with on FB. I never say I'm going out of town in advance. And I try not to make statements or comments that could come back to haunt me if someone were to read it later. (i.e future employer, background check, security clearance, etc). You have to be careful about what you post ANYWHERE. And that certainly includes here at GT.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  9. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    If someone wants the world to know he/she is attending a CC class, I'd say it was their decision. If you don't want people to know you went to the class, that's your business. If you do, that's your business as well.
    I wouldn't call someone names for making a choice. It amazes me how so many people here spout off about 2A rights, then go on to slam others for not using them in a manner they deem "appropriate".

On a positive note, maybe if some of the guys friends on facebook see their buddy getting a permit, it might encourage them to look into it. And the more people see their friends doing it, the more mainstream and acceptable it could become.

10. Jud325

Jud325

Mar 30, 2011
    Shelocta, Pa.
    I don't need to. I OC. :tongueout:

11. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Mar 10, 2004
    East TN
    That's where I come down on it. The only people who can see what I put on FB are the ones I've friended. I take it as an opportunity to show those not familiar with shooting sports and the idea of being responsible for ones own safety that the normal guy they work with and go to church with etc. is a gun guy too.

It's apparent that I'm approachable if anyone has a question about entering the shooting world, and it's happened. People have asked me to take them to the range for the first time. I like to think I made a 2nd Amendment voter out of them. . That would have never happened if I acted like every person on earth was looking for a chance to steal my guns. Be an advocate for the gun community.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. vmann

vmann Controller

Jan 22, 2010
    DFW
    your making a big deal out of nothing....

13. JW1178

JW1178

Jul 17, 2009
    I watch what I post online. Especially FB, where privacy is a joke no matter what your settings are and puts your name and everything right there. Easy access for big brother. Keep a low profile when it comes to guns. At least on hear it would take some work to figure out who it is that is actually posting. I am limited to what I say here.

14. Schlitz

Schlitz

May 10, 2011
    How is this stupid? Shake your head in disbelief? All he said was he was going to a concealed carry class. Who cares? Are you in the D.C. area or anywhere in Illinois? That's the only thing I could think of where it'd be stupid to advertise anything about carrying handguns.

Not everyone cares about concealment like you, we don't all pretend to be Jason Bourne... :rofl:

15. G26AZ

G26AZ

Aug 16, 2001
    Arizona
    I have a friend who knows I carry pull up to me when i was walking with my wife and some other people one day and ask "you got protection with you?" I looked at him with sort of a STFU face and said "protection from what?". He goes, "You know, PROTECTION!" At that point I pulled out my wallet and said "if you're asking to borrow a condom, I don't have one on me right now." At that point, he looked puzzled and drove off.

The next time I talked to him alone, I made sure that he understood "The first rule of CCW Club is that we NEVER talk about CCW Club." (apologies to Fight CLub). He finally understood why I had acted so dumb the previous meeting. Some times u just gotta edjumacate the sheeple . . . .

16. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    I for one think it's cool to know some good, like-minded shooters in your area/circle. Not many need to know, but if one were to shut themselves away too much, there wouldn't be much of a community. :supergrin:

17. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I guess that there are three ways to carry now. Open, CCW, and FBCCW (!)

18. Adams454

Adams454

Mar 2, 2000
    Hardly working

If anyone asked me that I would have said "of course" and went on about my day.