close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What 870 should I buy?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by esminbritt, Aug 16, 2012.

1. esminbritt

esminbritt Elias

Apr 24, 2011
    I agree that the express model's finish would hold up fine if kept oiled/indoors. I like having a more stout finish since I like to take it outside for fun. I took it out to a private range the other day for the first time and it started pouring. It was nice to not have to worry about the water. Also, if the SHTF, I would saw the butt off and rock it like Denzel in the Book of Eli. In that case, it would be nice to have a high quality finish on it. I'd hate to have to shoot a zombie with a rusty gun. I supposed a good coat of cat oil could work though. Food for thought.

2. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    NV
    The breacher choke is lame, but if you want ghost ring sights and/or a rail this is the way to go, cheaper than adding it aftermarket.

3. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Texas
  4. esminbritt

esminbritt Elias

Apr 24, 2011
    "You'll like it...it's ca-at"

5. burttrans

burttrans

Aug 17, 2012

I have always been happy with 870's in the past and plan on getting the tactical one but just the last day or 2 have been thinking that maybe I should take a closer look at Mossberg? What do you guys think?

6. esminbritt

esminbritt Elias

Apr 24, 2011
    I dont think you can go wrong with either one. I think that if you want an inexpensive gun, the finish on the Mossberg is better than the finish on the 870 express models. I shot a Mossberg 500 w/ a chainsaw grip and a laser. that was fun and it was surprisingly accurate . But I liked the feel of the 870 better and I didn't like the gimmick/gadget factor on that chainsaw gun. I can't tell you enough how much i like my 870 Marine Magnum

7. Screw the tactical or express, spend the coin and get the Police model. I've had both and this is my opinion.

8. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    1980 model 870 Wingmaster.
    The nice lady at Remington confirmed that this was a "Police" model when it left the factory.

It had only been fired once or twice, when I got it. The underside of the carrier didn't even have a mark on it, from being loaded!
    The owner's widow put it up for sale.
    I found this at a gunshow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    20" cyl. choke.
    2-3/4" chamber.
    Walnut furniture.

$210.00 OTD!!!!!!!(Seek and ye shall find!)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  9. esminbritt

esminbritt Elias

Apr 24, 2011
    Beautiful gun, and you got a steal on it!

10. tazbigdog

tazbigdog

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Picked up a Remington 870 Tactical Express for $329 at a gun show. Got a $30 rebate from Remington. Added pistol grop full stock, G&GG Side sling adapter, tacical 1-point sling and Mesa Tactical side saddle. Love it!

11. burttrans

burttrans

Aug 17, 2012

I would like to get a Marine Magnum but no budget for that now looking to go less expensive. What did you have to give for it?

12. esminbritt

esminbritt Elias

Apr 24, 2011
    I have a local shop thats always fair to me. The had to special order it, but the gave it to me for 670 OTD. The cheapest I found it elsewhere was 730 before delivery, FFL transfer, etc.

13. burttrans

burttrans

Aug 17, 2012
    What do you think your total will be with all the up grades? I thought I might spend an extra $100 on the 870 tactial with rail and ghost sights and breecher tube but still trying to decide. Does your sight seem to be adequate?

14. mgentry

mgentry

Nov 21, 2010
    Mississippi
    If you don't like the finish on your 870 or for that matter, any weapon, then get it finished in Black-T. Great finish! http://www.black-t.com

15. tazbigdog

tazbigdog

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Remington 870 Tactical Express $329 ($299, after rebate)
    Pistol grip full stock $60
    G&GG Side sling adapter $20
    Tactical 1-point sling $20
    Mesa Tactical side saddle $53
    Subtotal so far, $452.

Found an LPA sight for around $100, but need to find a good front sight. Maybe Santa will help me?:supergrin:

16. GCT00427

GCT00427 Tenn Hillbilly

Feb 14, 2002
    Tennessee
    I bought my Marine Magnum back in 1996 or 97 and I still drool over it every time I look at it. It was one of the best purchases that I have ever made. Worth the premium in my opinion.

Regards,

Chuck

17. esminbritt

esminbritt Elias

Apr 24, 2011