close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What 1911 is this??

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by 00Glazz, Nov 4, 2012.

1. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348
    Expand Collapse
    Happy Member

Shoot it often and enjoy!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Jim Watson

Jim Watson
    Expand Collapse

A.R. Sales was an aftermarket supplier in the 1970s.
    You probably have a gun made up of military surplus parts with the slide roll marks removed on an inexpensive commercial frame.

If it shoots well, enjoy; but it is not worth a whole lot of money. Exactly as much as a Ruger P95.

3. KennyFSU

KennyFSU
    Expand Collapse
    What to wear...

I had a P95 that I paid $300 for, so I guess you got a fair trade and an upgrade in the caliber department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. TTM65

TTM65
    Expand Collapse

Shoot it, have fun, then use it as a base to build a nice gun. Rugers are not that expensive, you had your fun with the ruger so you really did not do too bad. If you decide not to build it up then it would make a good boat gun etc.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

:rofl:

6. TTM65

TTM65
    Expand Collapse

That piece of information leads me to believe my first thought. I would bet this frame was made by Essex Arms for that company. Essex made lots of frames for lots of different companies. Too bad they do not anymore. Spoke with Norm after he closed the shop and moved to Florida. Had big plans but they have not happened in the last 2 years + so I do not think they will. For all of the Essex haters, you get what you pay for. Essex made great frames for my shop, I paid for the quality instead of settling for their daily run type frames.

7. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner
    Expand Collapse

Yep. The blocky front strap is the giveaway.

The question is whether the slide is also an Essex. Cast frames generally fare pretty well as long as it's a good casting. Cast slides...not so much. Even Ruger...pioneer of investment casting...knows better than to use cast slides.

About 10 years ago, I built up a pistol with slide/frame set from Essex. The frame's specs were a little hinky, but I got everything to work. The slide cracked in the port, adjacent to the breechface about 10,000 rounds in.

#27 1911Tuner, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  8. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348
    Expand Collapse
    Happy Member

My shop also. Years ago I bought a few dozen and just used my last Essex frame for a build last week and there will be no more. I've been using the Caspian 'classic' frames of late and they are a great value.

9. 00Glazz

00Glazz
    Expand Collapse

Yea as far as I am concerned I did pretty well on the trade. It is a great shooting pistol. Took it to the range today and ran damn near 300 rounds between myself and my buddy, no issues at all. So all in all I am happy, If I ever decide to pick up a p95 again, as others have said they can be had for 300$ tops. That and I have a p89 mkii if I really want the ruger 9mm. Thanks for all the help identifying this piece! I appreciate it all guys! I think I may eventually try and build this into something nice. If not then truck gun it becomes! :)

10. JDennis

JDennis
    Expand Collapse

I am guessing a RIA. Check this one out. no markings either.

Edit: Definitely not a RIA :whistling:

#30 JDennis, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

See post #13......it's NOT a RIA

12. 00Glazz

00Glazz
    Expand Collapse