close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Westhampton, LI, NY match concerns

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by glockwerkes, Sep 11, 2006.

1. glockwerkes

glockwerkes

I was thinking about driving to this match, which got me thinking about NY laws regarding magazine capacity. Looked up some info on the NRA site here: http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=NY, and it appears that non-residents of NY are SOL. Found out that high cap mags were the least of my worries. Below are the rules for non-residents of the state. I doubt that GSSF is NRA sanctioned. What gives?

NON-RESIDENTS

It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel if the person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console).

A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container.

Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition or IHMSA sanctioned match, within 48 hours of the competition, if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container. This provision does not apply in NY cities not wholly contained within a single county or to people with felony convictions.

Possession of firearms by a person who is a nonresident of this state is lawful while attending or traveling to or from an organized convention or exhibition approved by the NRA, and in which the nonresident is a registered participant within forty-eight hours of such event, provided that the nonresident has not been previously convicted of a felony and further provided that the firearms are transported unloaded in a locked opaque container together with a copy of the convention or exhibition program, convention or exhibition schedule or convention or exhibition registration card. This provision does not apply in NY cities not wholly contained within a single county.

A non-immigrant alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid hunting license issued by New York State and an approved gun import form from the BATFE.

2. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

The first time I went to Westhampton I called the NY State Police Firearms division to check the local laws. They said as long as it was unloaded and in a locked container in the trunk it was fine.

3. Terminator

Terminator

There have been several matches there and no problems mentioned before that i know of.

4. glockwerkes

glockwerkes

That's a good idea. I did a search on GT but couldn't find anything relating to match precautions. Thank's for your responses, maybe as it gets closer some more people will chime in.

5. IMPALA SS

IMPALA SS

Some shooters avoided NY back in the 80's because of the old Sullivan Law (i'm no lawyer, but this sounds like the same thing) that was put on the books back in the prohibition days to try to curb the bootleggers. I've been shooting in NJ and NY since the early 80's and never heard of a problem. Hi-cap mags -- come to an IPSC match in any NJ club and see all the limited and open shooters(nobody cares unless you plan on an armed robbery with your G34 or 35 with hi cap mags on the way to the match).Come out and shoot and don't worry, cops are not out to get you.Frank