Glock Talk banner

Well you asked for it. 650 impressions.

6K views 75 replies 27 participants last post by  n2extrm 
#1 ·
I am almost afraid to say anything but here it goes anyway.

Every case goes into the shell plate with no drama. Pushing to prime is effortless compared to the LnL. You can see why because the primer punch rises MUCH higher then the primer punch on the LnL. Indexing is smoother and easier to control because you can slow down your movement just as the press indexes rather then the press constantly indexing like on the LnL. I did put the roller bearing setup on the press. I prefer the expanding die on the powder measure as well. There are some things about the LnL I prefer but this press actually works a lot more effortlessly so that is far more important to me. I have not loaded a bunch so I will have to report on that next week. This is the press I should have bought instead of the LnL.

#29 ·
Be careful now. I am very interested in your final evaluation. I just noticed from a thread I ran across doing google searches. It was you, and your LNL praises were quite high originally. I look forward to a review when you have a chance to use it with the dreaded 9mm.
His press is setup for 9mm. He mentioned the fact in a previous thread prior to his XL650 order that it would be primarily 9mm dedicated press.
Steve shoots a G34 in IDPA/USPSA. The vast majority of his loading needs are in 9mm.

#30 ·
His press is setup for 9mm. He mentioned the fact in a previous thread prior to his XL650 order that it would be primarily 9mm dedicated press.
Steve shoots a G34 in IDPA/USPSA. The vast majority of his loading needs are in 9mm.
I'm not going to get in an argument, nor call him out. I'm just simply saying. Lets wait and see. He wrote a good review on the LNL with 9MM
to begin with. He said he was quite pleased with it. So lets just give the Dillon the same time frame.

I am just looking for a through opinion before I buy one. I'm sure he'' will have a few things he has issues with. I am not saying that's bad. Nor am I saying LNL are superior. I've already got the LNL. I am waiting to decide if I want the 650 with CF. Or should I just buy the CF for the LNL . Just trying to weigh the pros and the cons.

Since all Dillon spends their time on is presses. I'd be very disappointed if they didn't have a leg up on the competition. They aren't designing many different things like Hornady is. Dillon is a specialty company. Made in America. I've always thought Dillon was a better machine in many respects. However why not keep your eyes open. Along with your mind.

#31 ·
[QUOTE=Colorado4Wheel;.. I was told I needed to bend the ejector wire.
I've put the washer/needlebearing on my 650 but was not aware that the Ejector wire needed to be bent. Could you point me to where I can get more information on this procedure, preferrably with a drawing.
Welcome to the world of the 650.
Alan

#32 ·
I've put the washer/needlebearing on my 650 but was not aware that the Ejector wire needed to be bent. Could you point me to where I can get more information on this procedure, preferrably with a drawing.
Welcome to the world of the 650.
Alan
Look at the link I added in the above post. Toward the ending pages you will see pics.

#37 ·
The first blush of love is always sweet. Tell us what you think about her in a couple of thousand rounds.

P.S. weren't you going to post the cutout for the primer fix.
I need permission from Uncle Bob first.

Did the 550 holes work?
Nope. One did but that was about it.

Be careful now. I am very interested in your final evaluation. I just noticed from a thread I ran across doing google searches. It was you, and your LNL praises were quite high originally. I look forward to a review when you have a chance to use it with the dreaded 9mm.

I'm not going to get in an argument, nor call him out. I'm just simply saying. Lets wait and see. He wrote a good review on the LNL with 9MM
to begin with. He said he was quite pleased with it. So lets just give the Dillon the same time frame.

I am just looking for a through opinion before I buy one. I'm sure he'' will have a few things he has issues with. I am not saying that's bad. Nor am I saying LNL are superior. I've already got the LNL. I am waiting to decide if I want the 650 with CF. Or should I just buy the CF for the LNL . Just trying to weigh the pros and the cons.

Since all Dillon spends their time on is presses. I'd be very disappointed if they didn't have a leg up on the competition. They aren't designing many different things like Hornady is. Dillon is a specialty company. Made in America. I've always thought Dillon was a better machine in many respects. However why not keep your eyes open. Along with your mind.

Yep, I liked the LnL at first. It was not perfect at the start but it's a press that requires a person to get used to the press and how to set it up. Also, I loaded a bunch of rounds with out knowing I was getting high primers. So I gave the press a little of slack because I thought I needed to learn a little more about the press (didn't want to rush to judgment) and I didn't know it was making high primers. At first it didn't bother me as much the cases didn't always go in the shell plate because I honestly thought the "fixes" people posted would solve my problems. But after trying every fix and it not getting good enough I frankly got sick of it. Once I discovered that no matter how hard I pressed I was still getting high primers I pretty much over it and ready to get something reliable again.

#42 ·
Steve is very analytical, and brutally honest when it comes to his review. Just give it some time. As for the 650 I love mine. I came from a 550 that served me well but I hated the primer system, it always gave me some form of trouble. The 650 has been great out of the box and o
ver the first 8 or so months and lots of loading.I put 2K or so 45s through it in the first month. Would have been more but the wife was due and I did not have time to shoot or reload.

#43 ·
I need permission from Uncle Bob first.

Nope. One did but that was about it.

Yep, I liked the LnL at first. It was not perfect at the start but it's a press that requires a person to get used to the press and how to set it up. Also, I loaded a bunch of rounds with out knowing I was getting high primers. So I gave the press a little of slack because I thought I needed to learn a little more about the press (didn't want to rush to judgment) and I didn't know it was making high primers. At first it didn't bother me as much the cases didn't always go in the shell plate because I honestly thought the "fixes" people posted would solve my problems. But after trying every fix and it not getting good enough I frankly got sick of it. Once I discovered that no matter how hard I pressed I was still getting high primers I pretty much over it and ready to get something reliable again.

Steve yesterday I loaded some 9. I wad using wolf primers, but after you asking me to try cci, I went and bought some. Cci on my press where very easy to seat, a lot easier that any othet cal I load. The only problem I haf yesterday was with the small mouth and lee dies, it would snag at first. I polished it with a dremel and it help. I think I still want 9 dillon dies. But as for seating SP CCI I had no problems at all Steve.

#44 ·
#45 ·
Anyone know if adding the roller bearing and washers works as well on the SDB.
I ran 2 sdb's at one time. If you could find a bearing that fit, it may work real well. However, the sdb's don't have a set screw to hold the shellplate bolt at the desired torque so it won't hold the desired tension on the shell plate. You could try but honestly after tens of thousands of rounds loading on one. I don't see it happening, unfortunately.

#47 ·
Loaded some more on it today. Went pretty well. Had one Upside Down Case. It's the same issue I fixed on the LnL rather easily. Besides that it was perfect.
I have yet to have a upside down case... I've read that the stability of the case feeder is an issue causing it at times...

What do you feel is the cause? What did you do to alleviate the chances of getting them?

#49 ·
I am going to brace the case feeder first. But Dillon also has a insert used for 380 that takes up some of the space in the chute.
I have that .380 case-feeder adapter... never thought of using it to fix that problem, obviously cause I haven't come across it yet.

Just a thought though.... I use the blue case down tube support on mine regardless of the fact that the manual says not needed if running a case feeder. Just perhaps that has something to do with it? The support giving it that even just a little additional support against vibration.
I also try and not load more than 300 or so pieces of 9mm brass at a time by weight. I separate brass lots in a number of plastic cups depending on the length of my intended loading session and the number of primer tubes I have loaded, another factor that may help without me knowing about it.

#50 · (Edited)
Hmm, I did have the bowl over full at the start. Clutch was slipping and everything. That may have been when it went upside down. I am not worried about it. You need to make the 380 adapter a little bigger to use it for 9mm. A overfull bowl could make the thing wiggle more as well.

#51 ·
Hmm, I did have the bowl over full at the start. Clutch was slipping and everything. That may have been when it went upside down. I am not worried about it. You need to make the 380 adapter a little bigger to use it for 9mm. A overfull bowl could make the thing wiggle more as well.
That by the sound of it might well be your issue. I've seen pictures of your bench and knowing you built it is solid. The Manual does state:

Dillon XL650 manual said:
Note: The casefeed bowl is not designed to be completely filled with brass. If it is fully loaded it will not function reliably.The rated capacity of the casefeeder is about 1/2 of the bowl’s physical capacity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.