close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

WELL SUCK!~I Think>? Got This Ammo As A Freebie!

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ULVER, May 20, 2013.

1. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

2. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    Nothing wrong with the old Hydra-Shoks. They have been surpassed by recent bullet designs, but they are still effective.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  3. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
  4. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Jan 8, 2001
    ATL., GA. USA
    Yeah, I'm sure these are fine. Like I said, it was a freebie. :cool:\

I guess I have been use to +P's, for the longest. And, the Hydra-Shok is real old in design. However, it does have a good history.

With the price of ammunition these days, I shouldn't be picky.

5. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Jan 8, 2001
    ATL., GA. USA
    I gave this guy some Royal Purple motor oil a while back. 5-30 works for his truck. My Crown Vic wants 5-20 these days, so I just gave him the oil.

He did some work at a gun store, and took payment via ammunition. He gave me a box (50) of the Hydra-Shoks in return.

Interestingly enough, he said that the gun store, won't even sell ammunition these days, without a purchase of a pistol, rifle, or shotgun. :shocked:

6. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Since you received it as a "freebie" and all ammo is scarce these days you're ahead of the game.

If you have better self-defense ammo then why not put it away for an emergency? I'd bet my life on Hydra-Shock before I'd bet it on FMJ.

7. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Jan 8, 2001
    ATL., GA. USA
    I have a new 6-inch barrel from a Glock 17L...

I wonder how it would pump this ammo>? :dunno:

8. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Yeah, many of us have gotten rather used to using +P & +P+ loads over the years, huh? We were using standard pressure 147gr loads for many years (including the Hydra-Shock for a bit) before we eventually changed over to 127gr +P+ and then one of the common 124gr +P loads.

I'd not lose sleep over carrying it. It might not consistently expand as robustly as some other new bullet designs, under some conditions, but what's new, right? ;) If a nose cavity plugs with heavy cloth, it can become a bit dicey.

The price was right, at any rate. :)

The retail/commercial price of ammo nowadays can be pretty incredible. Of course, even the contract/bid pricing LE/Gov can sometimes get has risen quite a bit, too.

Last edited: May 21, 2013