close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Well my POS scale finally died..

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FiremanMike, Aug 9, 2010.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    I've been nursing along my MTM digital scale ever since it started acting like a prick ~2 months after I bought it. It would start to turn on but never display anything. I could take the batteries out, start it up, make sure it still weighed my test weight @50gm and then go on with life. I came to a habit of leaving the batteries out, which tended to allow it to work right away.

Today I went down, I had finally decided to give it another chance and left the batteries in last time I finished reloading. Started to load (some odd vibrating sound from inside), no display, removed the batteries, still nothing..

Oh well, I was headed down to load a few hundred rounds, I guess now I have to wait until I can afford a decent beam scale <shrug>

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Get the Dillon, it's about as cheap as can be.. .Sometimes you can 505 on ebay if you pay attention...

IGF

3. GoingQuiet

GoingQuiet FFL/SOT

Jun 10, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Nothing wrong with going down to Grainger and getting a good scale.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I've never saw scales at Grainger... any particular models?

IGF

5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Next time you make a purchase from a road side pharmacologist ask to borrow his scale. I understand their customer service rivals that of Dillon and Hornady. :whistling:

Jack

6. fudd

fudd

Mar 31, 2006
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Upon reading the title I thought to myself, How does a 505 die?

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Compare everything you consider to the Dillon Beam. Consider it's new and has the Dillon No BS warranty. Then decide if it's really a good deal buying that other product. To me the Dillon is about $15 underpriced. Very un-dillon of them.

8. ColCol

ColCol

Apr 15, 2010
    TN
    Beam scales last forever. I've had a 505 since Moses parted the Red Sea and it's still as accurate as it was when I first bought it...plus, here's no warm up period.

9. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    I like my Dillon. It is always on the bench ready to go. Nothing to wear out or break. If you treat it well it will serve you for a very long time. I have a chargemaster as well, but it will run you more then a dillon beam scale.

10. frankt

frankt

May 9, 2005
    Georgia
    I have a 5-10 RCBS that I have been using for 20+ years.

I bought the MTM and after a few months it went dead. They replaced it and now after about six months of light use, it never zero's. I won't try another cheap scale.

I will continue to use my 5-10 beam or if I win the lottery get the Chargemaster Combo.

11. It is worth every penny, wish I had broken down and got mine long before I did.

12. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    Yeah a scale probably is not the place to cheap out. A bad powder charge could really be a problem. :wavey:

13. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

I've had my RCBS beam scale since Jack discovered fire.

14. at_liberty

at_liberty

Jun 19, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Seems that what is needed is a scale with a warranty. Here is one that has the support of a good company, is confirmed suitable for reloading, and has a one year warranty:

Hornady 050103 350 gr Electronic scale

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  15. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Is Dillon the only company that has a "No BS Warranty?"

16. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Figure that out for yourself. Not sure if the others would send you a new scale if you drop a box of bullets on your "other" brand. Dillon advertises it up front so it's easy to know. Dillon Eliminator is the same as the RCBS 505 (minus a sticker) and the RCBS cost at least $10 more.

17. wongman1

wongman1

Nov 4, 2009

Really? they look completely different. I just picked up the 505 from midway ($10 off from rcbs and $10 off my order from midway). So pretty much $64 delivered along with a few other parts. Should be here tomorrow.

I didnt go with the Dillon because the base looked plastic, prolly not tho...but I couldnt find web info saying otherwise.

18. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    They are different scales. I think Steve meant that they are very similar becasue they are both made by Ohaus, as well as some of the other higher end beam scales. Ohaus makes great scales.

19. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Oh, okay, thanks for the kind response.

Too bad Dillon isn't in the automobile business. They'd ship out a new one right away after someone does something stupid like wrapping it around a tree. :rofl:

[​IMG]

20. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Take a look at everything but the base. Even the pivot looks exactly the same. Both made by Ohaus. Both the same poise system. One is just $20 cheaper and Blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]