Well guys, I'm having misfires...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 21 Glock salute, Jan 3, 2013.

1. because you are bored not much in the way of matches going on in this weather:O)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

This guy's speed, is based on technique. If you learned the technique, which is particularly effective for Glock and M&P triggers, you'd understand why my wife and I both changed our competition guns back to 100% stock connectors and springs after the first time we took a TDSA class. You really can be faster and more accurate with technique and stock triggers than you ever will be with equipment fixes, unless you are somehow blessed with a trigger finger that is not connected by muscle to any other part of your hand.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvrItp_uwAw"]TDSA instructor Marshall Luton Fast Pistol and Shotgun Shooting - YouTube[/ame]

And, yes, before I actually learned to shoot a Glock, startying about 7-8 years ago, I'd have said that equipment makes it better, same as you guys. I was where you are, before going back to stock.

#22 Bren, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Sevigny, probably one of the best Glock shooters ever, didn't leave his stock. Spring changes, etc. (yes, I realize he no longer shoots Glocks, that's not the point)
    http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/dave-sevigny-interview-faq/

Vogel, who might be THE best Glock shooter ever, has one named after him.
    http://www.glocktriggers.com/products/vogel/

Funniest thing. I never hear a 1911 shooter buy a new gun and say "Let me run out and install a heavy/gritty ~5 pound trigger in this thing". Brian Enos in his book "Practical Shooting" (considered by most to be the Bible of competition shooting) talks about getting trigger work done to lower the pull, lightest possible he says. Strictly for improved performance. Not, "leave it heavy and learn to shoot it that way". It's only here on GT I hear that drivel from the leave-it-stock koolaid drinkers.

My buddy with the same setup is an 'A', IDPA Master and GSSF Master. Pretty sure Michael Hollar (GM who shoots around here) does similar stuff. Currently, I'm a mid-B, but shot my best classifier recently of an 80% which is mid-A. This after finally getting to join an outside range and getting to do better practice than an indoor range. I'll be looking to move into solid A this next year.

Yep. Imma listen to you. Who exactly are you again?
    :whistling:

#23 ron59, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. Change your striker spring back to factory weight of 5.5 lbs. I would hypothesize this would fix your issues.

The ghost rocket would not cause a light and neither would increased weight trigger spring.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. Ron I like you more every post you make.
    I do leave my carry glocks stock for the most part. But for the ones I shoot paper or steel with, STOCK SUCKS. I may not be at your level of shooting. I only have time for local gun club competitions, but I usually clean up at them.
    Thanks for another great post

6. Gallium

CLM

Yes, and I wish that the other people who **** up their Glocks would create a topic that says "I ****ed my Glock up, I am an idiot", or something to that effect.

It would greatly reduce the "User induced crap: legitimate Glock issues ratio around here big time. :cool:
    :wavey:

I have Glocks that have non stock parts in them, so not a "keep it stock bozo". I say keep it stock if you end up with the same results as the OP. Too much of a good thing leads to threads like these.

7. Gallium

CLM

While I have met Sevingy in person, I don't recall him posting much here about how poorly his Glock is running.

I just did a quick search for Vogel, and came up with scratch too. :tongueout:

Using endpoints (exceptions) on a curve does not underscore your point.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WHO POST IN GENERAL GLOCKING WITH GUN FUNCTIONALITY ISSUES SHOULD LEAVE THEIR GUNS STOCK AND LEARN HOW TO SHOOT PROPERLY.

If you want to dispute that - go ahead. :)

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Truer words were never said...especially in General-Newb-To-Glocking.

9. I agree that some people that get into their guns to change things have no buisness or aptitude to do so and should leave them alone.
    However I don't get what is so bad about someone like the op making a thread like this. He put in some parts and is having trouble. He is just asking for an opinion on what is causin the problem. I'm sure that he realizes it may be a part that he put in, just not which one.
    If you don't have time to help a fella out, don't post on his thread.

10. Or you can lighten the OEM firing pin, run the lighter firing pin spring and be 100% reliable w/any primer, I do.

11. Gallium

CLM

He knows what is causing the problem. It's putting in 3-5 things simultaneously without function checking completely at each step.

I don't have a problem with his threads, or threads as these. It would be nice if the titles reflected the root issue - operator error.

Respectfully, it is not your place to tell me where to post - you can wish it as much as I wish for clarity in thread titles.:cool:

12. Zyzogg

Zyzogg Bartender

I have been having exactly the same problem with CCI. I am now using Remington and Winchesters with no problems.

#33 Zyzogg, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  13. Switched the springs back to normal but left the Ghost connector in. It's for IDPA matches not GSSF...actually never been to a GSSF match, but I digress. No more light strikes, so all is well with my soul :)

14. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I agree that it's frustrating to read "My Glock doesn't work now", and the poster has put in aftermarket parts. In this case, I actually fault Ghost (and any of the other aftermarket companies) for not making the potential issue with light striker spring to be more forthcoming about the product.

I got lucky. Early on when I was looking for a lighter trigger I was looking at Charlie Vanek's products (I wanted to be legal for GSSF). I was looking through all of his products, and saw that he mentioned that light striker spring could cause light primer strikes. He advised trying Federal primers (which solved the problem for me) but if shooting factory ammo or whatever then could put the stock striker spring back in.

At the same time... all of that is STILL not a foundation for "keep it stock". Aftermarket is fine, but it helps to be:
    1) Fairly handy about things
    2) Proper research to understand potential problems.

I have over 50,000 rounds through my G17/G34, probably 40,000 with aftermarket parts. I've broken two trigger springs in that time, and that's been it. I did have problems with CCI primers (I reload) after I first made the change, but switching to Federal has 100% resolved that. I have YET to have a light strike with Federals.

Aftermarket parts are fine, but maybe do a google search about the problem before posting on GT if you don't wanna get bashed. LOL

15. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur
    Millennium Member CLM

I shoot stock Glocks OK.....can I make snide comments? :supergrin:

Here's one. Guns have firing pins.....'strikers' play soccer, ring bells, and refuse to go to work.

I do agree that one shouldn't screw with his gun at least until he fully understands how it works and what the changes can/will do to it.

Screwing with a gun that is strictly a range gun? No foul....unless they make it unsafe (like to themselves or anyone nearby).

16. Sheesh, didn't mean to step on anybody's toes here...the G21 is not a carry gun or a gun for serious social problems in my home...that is solved by a rem 870, and I'm in IL so no carry (yet). I just shoot at the range right now and pretend that I'm a good shot. I shot better without it being the way I bought it. Keeping my gun stock would still be the last thing I'd ever do. The slide release was impossible to hit without blistering my thumb, and the sights broke and the previous owner had, what I've researched and discovered to be a New York trigger pull. Felt more like my revolver than a glock. Really worked out ol digit number one to get it to bebop. Not sure why somebody would try to make the trigger heavy, but hey people like to tinker It was not stock to start off, obviously. I might just keep the 3.5 lb connector or maybe I'll go back to the 12 lb NY connector if that makes some of y'all happy. I shoot mostly DA revolvers, so it's really no different to me, but just relax.

17. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur
    Millennium Member CLM

I agree that use of a NY spring (yeah, it's a spring, not a connector) serves mostly to make the trigger harder to use well. If it does indeed have a NY spring in it, I fully agree with replacing it with a coil trigger spring.

I would suggest that you check out my blog. There's lots of good stuff there that may be of interest to you.....two pages worth.....one article being about the differing trigger parts.

And don't worry too much about stepping on toes, one should always wear boots here, sometimes high one's are best! :)