close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Well, finally got my new NAS built...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Mar 8, 2012.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I'm pretty happy w/ how it came out. After my NAS bit the dust a few weeks ago, I've been wanting to get a new one built, so I started picking up the stuff/ordering things a week or so ago.

What I ended up with:
    Case -- Antec Sonata Proto -- $37. It's a discontinued case, I picked it up at Fry's. It's a nice case, plenty roomy enough. Nice thing was, it had a place to mount my 2.5in OS drive. So I didn't need to pick up a bracket (although it was a pain to mount... Antec could have thought that through a little better).

MSI 760GM Motherboard --- $49. Also picked up at Fry's. They had some pretty good deals on some clearance stufff. My NAS doesn't need to be a "barn burner".. so this was perfect.

2.8gighz AMD Sempron CPU -- $39. Again, not the fastest on the block, but it will serve this task more than adequately. Also picked up at Fry's.

500w Antec True Power -- I have no idea what I paid for this. I've had it for about 6mo when I decided on this project a while ago(this project has been long delayed), I tacked it onto another order I was making for someone else to save the shipping. I think it was around $50

8gigs of 1333 DDR3 --- $34 (caught a sale at TD last week, still going if you're interested: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1412135&CatId=4534 )

Kept my old drives (2, 1.5tb SATA hard drives, 1, 2.5in 80gig SATA drive, the 2.5in drive serves as a drive dedicated to my OS).

This is the first time I've shopped so extensively at Fry's. I was pleasantly surprised at their prices. Usually, I just bought cases there, since cases are so expensive to ship. When I went out there to look at cases, I noticed they had some pretty good deals on Motherboards/CPU's as well.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    No... Just using Ubuntu Server. I thought about putting OpenMediaVault on it, and I still might.. but Ubuntu Server is just so easy to use(for me anyway), it's an obvious choice. My last experience w/ FreeNas, was NASTY.. won't be using that again. OMV is good, and I still like it a lot.

3. pal2511

pal2511

Sep 15, 2002
    KS
    IGF have you tried hooking ubuntu server onto an enviroment with active directory? Was wondering how well it would work out.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana