close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Weird MSPaint Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Toyman, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Toyman

Toyman

May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    This is a strange one. Whenever I try to open or save in MSPaint, the application closes. It doesn't prompt to save or anything, it just goes away.

Basically, It's having a problem with common dialogs.

Attempting to do a "Print..." causes a crash, apparently in NTDLL.DLL.

Info: Windows XP, just updated this morning with all patches.

Problem started before this.

2. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

May 22, 2003
    North Carolina
    Hmm...have you tried doing a rollback from system restore?

3. Toyman

Toyman

May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    No, the last time I did a system restore I got screwed. I've narrowed it down to something that is trying to load without proper permissions, but that's still a long ways off.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    Open Task Manager> Processes and tell me how many you have running, or, better yet, do a screenshot (GIMP or IRFanView will allow this too) so I can see what's running.

Usually this is caused by a conflict between badly-written spyware and badly-incorporated M$ code.

It isn't hard to fix; at worst you'll get to run SFC.

5. It seems like installing or updating MS Office or MS word will change the the graphics filter settings.This removes the "save" option in MS Paint.There is a file available that will register your current graphic filters.(may be Microsoft Office Converter Pack).You may be able to fix it in MS Word setup or I think MS Office setup is the one you want.

6. Toyman

Toyman

May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    Fixed! Not sure what it was exactly, but I went and got the .NET update through Windows Update, and that seems to have fixed whatever was messed up.

Doing a REGMON during the operation indicated that paint got as far as looking into the FileExt part of the registry before it crapped out.