close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weird jobs you've had

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dubble-Tapper, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

I was just looking at some old resumes i had saved. i realized ive had some random jobs that didnt relate to my chosen field. not necessarily weird jobs, but just so different from what i am doing now.

i was (and kinda still am when i have time) a horseback trail guide/handler for 5 years. Some of the best times ive ever had, as well as some of the most dangerous situations ive ever encountered.

i was a caregiver for mentally disabled adults. Although rewarding at times, this was the worst job ive ever had

I even worked for GreenPeace for two weeks in Portland before i realized what was really up.

i am now into manufacturing/machining/engineering, but it is interesting to think how I have used skills from all of these jobs to get to where i am today.

C'mon guys and gals, I guarantee people here have done very interesting things. Lets hear about some strange jobs youve had in the past.

2. badge315

badge315

This was only a short-term gig, but when I was teenager my father had a friend with a wholesale medical supply company. He had hundreds of cases of suppositories where each individual box within the case had been erroneously stamped with some sort of numerical code, and my job was to remove those numbers from each box with an electric eraser.

I had another temp job as a teenager blowing up thousands of balloons to be dropped from the ceiling during a huge New Years Eve banquet at the Diplomat Hotel in south Florida.

3. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

I had a job working for a GPS company. Basically they would send me out to areas that they weren't sure of or wanted to make better in the software on directions and whatnot.

So I (and a partner) would go with maps of the area (more or less) and mark certain roads as one way or can't make a right at certain times, etc.

Group that took over after me would mark entrances to various places...mostly Toyota dealerships since the GPS's were mostly put in Toyota vehicles.

Kind of a like a GPS version of the "Can you hear me now" guy. Was fun. Paid decent enough with a cash per diem. Got a lot of overtime since it was basically 60 to 70 hours a week. Got to go to Canada (Montreal and Ottawa) for 3 weeks. Unfortunately I was only able to do it for 2 or 3 months before they decided to finish up for the year.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Back in high school I worked for a year cleaning out the blood-traps, the freezer and all of the butchering machinery in a local meat market.

Never again...not for any amount of money on earth!

5. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

Copper penny bleacher. When I worked in the adult entertainment industry I would bleach the exit hole on some of the actresses. Makes for better close-ups.

6. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

dont lie, you were a fluffer :supergrin:

7. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

:whistling:

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Well I certainly can't beat that. Best I can do is working on a cranberry bog. Partof it was weeding. One of the prevalent weeds on the bog was poison ivy.

9. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I used to drive a pickup truck at night that had a big screen net ( 4' x 6' ) mounted on the top that was used to catch mosquitoes; I then had to count them.

WP

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

My first job was selling band instruments in a music store.

11. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

1. I sold knives door to door
    2. Marked fire lines for an insurance company and sprayed the lines on with spray paint.
    3. I sold whistles to stores for retail sales

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. devildog2067

devildog2067

Cutco?

13. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I worked at the Double Eagle Steel Plant in Dearborn, Michigan. This plant made some of the first anti-corrosion coated steel used in manufacturing auto uni-body structures. On a specific time basis, I had to leave the lab, go out into the plant and get 2" diameter round stamped samples from the roll currently being plated, and run tests to see how the metal was taking the plating, in what thicknesses and such. We also collected samples of all the plating and pre-plating chemicals in the vats, and tested them.

The chemicals in the vats that the rolls of steel were horric. If you fell into the huge "pre-plater" solution vat (about the size of 1/2 of an Olympic sized pool), you were dead. No bones would be found. One time I accidently spilled some onto my sock around my ankle. It disolved the majority of the sock, and left this nylon type webbing adhered to my skin, sort of burned in.

I had NO IDEA what I was doing. A friend was an engineering student, and he got me the job, and showed me how to do the necessary tasks. If anyone's early to mid 1990's Ford vehicle rusted prematurely, it was probably my fault.

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I am boring.

I was a lifeguard.

15. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Body guard for strippers at private party's, the pay wasn't much but the fringe benefits would blow your hair back if you know what I mean :whistling:
    film at 11:00 NOT!

16. Rogue

Rogue X-MEN Millennium Member

Where to start. . .

I was a carnie once, I'll admit it. Briefly. This unfortunate turn of events was due to the fact that I needed money prior to taking off for college, and I had just recently been fired from my prior job for 'horse play', whatever that is :).

So, at my Dad's insistence, I read through the paper to find myself a job for the last few weeks of summer before school started. I think the ad went something like this:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $
    $ RIDE OPERATORS WANTED, NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY !!
    $
    $ Must speak and understand English, must be able to lift 50 lbs.
    $
    $ Get started TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    $
    $ Show up on Friday at the field on 5th and Vine before 9am.
    $
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And as you might have guessed from their rather stringent set of requirements, this turned out to be quite a fascinating and dynamic organization to become a part of. I showed up at 8:30 am on Friday, and stood next to a couple of other sorry-looking individuals and surveyed the once-vacant lot - which now seemed to be taken over by trailers, tents, and other assorted vehicles and contraptions that, when all taken in during the early morning fog, made this seem more like the set of a Stephen King movie rather than a place to bring the family. It was a chilly morning, but I waited. At about 9:20 a girl(?) came walking up to us and simply said (gruffly) 'CommON', and led us all into the maze of trailers that we had been staring at. The trail of smoke left by her cigar made it easy to follow her into the mist, and she sat us all down under a tent and went on.

Carnie Girl (handing us paper): 'Fill these out.'
    Us (fumbling around for pens or whatever): ...
    Carnie Girl: 'Oh Jesus Chr***, CommON!'
    From behind the trailer: 'Bev, where's my shorts!?'
    Carnie Girl: 'I TOLL you I don't know, get-the-hell-outta my trailer!!'
    Us (scribbling now): ...?
    Bev (I guess): 'Don't you mind that now, y'all can fill those out later, CommON!'
    Bev (mumbling): 'Some***** better notta got me pregnant.'
    One of us (not me): 'Is there going to be an interview, or.. ?'
    Bev (walking off): 'CommON I SAID!'

And Bev walked us around to the various contraptions that were being set up in the field, and started pointing her cigar at them and calling out names (sort of). 'Blondie' she said, gesturing towards the Haunted House 'You're over there.' 'Freckles, on the canoe ride'. 'Sweet cheeks' she said, looking at me, 'You're on the teacups'. 'But I...' I started, 'CommON and git!' she said, and I scurried over to the ride and tried to figure out where to stand so that I at least looked like I knew what I was doing. . .

(continued)
    http://hammyvision.blogspot.com/2008/05/away-with-circus.html

17. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I don't think I every had an Odd job. But, I had a number of really fun jobs in Medical and Military physics Research.

I worked on a Federal Public Heath Research project in the 1960's. We built and delivered the first Ultrasonic Cancer detection system. We delivered it to Bethesda Hospital, MA.

I was an original employee of Medtronics when they first started out of a house and garage in North Minneapolis, MN.

I Worked for a Medical Research company (Whitehall Electronics) in the 60's. We built one of the first electronic Patient Monitoring systems. Testing was at the VA in Minneapolis, MN

I worked on a Navy Research project where we built and delivered a 5 axis gradient Super Conducting submarine sensors based on Josephson Junction Quantum Interference Devices. Locating was done by evaluating the perturbations in Earth's Magnetic field and determining a Poynting vector. Sytem used sub-quantum level flux sensing.

Designed and built tactical Aircraft +Gigahertz Laser based FO network systems. Assisted on developing a working Terabyte Optical computer for the Navy. (Optical interconnected backplane)

Designed and built the deposition control system for manufacturing Military Magnetic Thin Film Memories. (Rad hard stuff)

Helped write SAE Mil-Standards.

God I had fun.

18. countrygun

countrygun

OK, here I go,

Cleaned out the "sump" underneath a grainery/silo on the Willamette river at river level, in the summer on graveyard (think "Stephen King's"Graveyard shift": Rats and roaches)

Painted the edgecap on several 4 story + buildings (I have acraphobia. I pooped BB's for weeks)

Bodyguard/consierge high spending customers at a series of Gentleman's clubs.

Sorted "NOS" auto parts from a huge buy-out of an OLD warehouse and identified "rare parts" with collectors value. (Think tailights for '59 "T Birds" and model "A" parts)

Took over a "hog farm" that had "gone feral" dead hogs, wild hogs, rotten feed everywhere. Approximately 120 hogs running wild. turned it into a profitable, efficient, clean operation in one winter/summer.

Wrote for local paper, State-wide paper, and national magazines on history,

Curator of an Historical Museum. Did demonstrations of "pioneer/primative/old skills": flintknapping, blacksmithing, carpentry,gold panning.

I was once suprised by a national TV news program calling to interview one of my employees. It turned out he had been involved ina major news event years before and I had no idea.

19. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

First job: Airplane washer..."washboy". Only kid in 10th grade making more than minimum wage. ($5/hr back when min was $2.85. Rollin' in the dough.)

Freefall photographer/videographer for ten years: (Mostly shooting skydiving students, but also a couple commercials, a couple of equipment test jumps and a promo video for West Point cadet's skydiving team). 2000 jumps and two broken backs later, I retired at the ripe old age of 34.

Almost a reality TV contestant. (not really 'contestant'...but 'participant': There are no winners of 'Out of the Wild'). I got paid for my time, so I'll call it a job.

Current, favorite, strangest and hopefully last job: Tin kicker.

20. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

I have never worked in the field I have a degree in (speech-language pathology and audiology), and I've had some seriously random jobs starting when i was 14:

scooped ice cream at baskin robbins
    worked for two different pharmacies at counter and making home deliveries
    worked at 2 different lamp stores (one at home one at college, I KNOW My lamps)

my most interesting one was working with a bunch of ex-spook types at a security management place. We did aviation security, executive protection, audio counter measures (sweeping for bugs), security guards, etc etc. I started as the receptionist and was promoted into marketing. I got to travel all over the country, stay at very nice hotels, eat in very nice restaurants with my own company Amex card. It had it's con's too, but it was fun, and I got to sit through an audio counter measure course, and climb up in the ceiling to look for bugs. :supergrin:

then I was a FT mom for 17 years.

now i walk rich peoples dogs and look after you lot. :tease: