close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Weird 7.62x54r issue

Discussion in 'Military Surplus Forum' started by LSUAdman, Sep 26, 2011.

1. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Aug 3, 2010
    Texas
    Had something weird happen on Saturday. I picked up a new to me 1944 Mosin 91/30 to keep my M44 company. Since we were heading directly to the range after the gunshow, I stopped by some random booth and picked up two packs of 20 round light ball in little wrapped paper packages. I later found out that it was of Chinese manufacture.

Well out for the first five rounds, three rounds fired perfectly, two didnt. I thought it was the rifle and I reinserted the rounds. Still no fire. Popped them out, could see the primer was dempled but the rounds did not go off. Tossed them onto the field and loaded 5 more rounds.

Same thing happened, this time only 2 good rounds out of 5. Same issue.

I looked up Chinese x54r reliability and people had generally good things to say about it. Was there something wrong with the ammo, or should I look at the rifle? Anyone have any experience with this?

2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    With good primer hit I would say it is the ammo.

3. There is a possibility that the firing pin and spring are 'gunked up' with cosmoline and that was causing your problem.

4. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

Aug 15, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    shot the chinese brass cased stuff in my svt-40 and many mosins and have never had a prob with it.
    did you try putting it back in and giving it a second hit?

if the firing pin and spring arent full of nastiness, then it has to be the ammo.

5. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Aug 3, 2010
    Texas
    I did try to reshoot a few of the rounds with no success. The pin did impact the primer, and primer was very dempled, just no ignition.

It was right off the shelf. I wiped as much cosmo off in the car on the way, but I did not strip the bolt, so that could be the issue. I have, since, totally stripped it and removed all the damn cosmo.

You wouldnt believe how much they put on the bayonet.

Anyway, I think I like shooting this one more than my M44. Great rifle - definately one of my favorites in my safe right now.

6. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Jan 12, 2010
    Southern New England
    I've never taken any milsurp straight to the range without first giving it a good cleaning, and inspection. Although I have 3 tins of Chinese ammo, I haven't shot any of it. I also like shooting the 91/30 over the M44.

7. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    NV
    I can't imagine taking ANY gun straight to the range without first cleaning it and inspecting it... Let alone an old cosmoline covered relic. Safety first.