Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Weird 7.62x54r issue

Discussion in 'Military Surplus Forum' started by LSUAdman, Sep 26, 2011.

1. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Aug 3, 2010
    Had something weird happen on Saturday. I picked up a new to me 1944 Mosin 91/30 to keep my M44 company. Since we were heading directly to the range after the gunshow, I stopped by some random booth and picked up two packs of 20 round light ball in little wrapped paper packages. I later found out that it was of Chinese manufacture.

Well out for the first five rounds, three rounds fired perfectly, two didnt. I thought it was the rifle and I reinserted the rounds. Still no fire. Popped them out, could see the primer was dempled but the rounds did not go off. Tossed them onto the field and loaded 5 more rounds.

Same thing happened, this time only 2 good rounds out of 5. Same issue.

I looked up Chinese x54r reliability and people had generally good things to say about it. Was there something wrong with the ammo, or should I look at the rifle? Anyone have any experience with this?
  2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    With good primer hit I would say it is the ammo.

3. There is a possibility that the firing pin and spring are 'gunked up' with cosmoline and that was causing your problem.
  4. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

Aug 15, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    shot the chinese brass cased stuff in my svt-40 and many mosins and have never had a prob with it.
    did you try putting it back in and giving it a second hit?

if the firing pin and spring arent full of nastiness, then it has to be the ammo.
  5. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Aug 3, 2010
    I did try to reshoot a few of the rounds with no success. The pin did impact the primer, and primer was very dempled, just no ignition.

It was right off the shelf. I wiped as much cosmo off in the car on the way, but I did not strip the bolt, so that could be the issue. I have, since, totally stripped it and removed all the damn cosmo.

You wouldnt believe how much they put on the bayonet.

Anyway, I think I like shooting this one more than my M44. Great rifle - definately one of my favorites in my safe right now.
  6. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Jan 12, 2010
    Southern New England
    I've never taken any milsurp straight to the range without first giving it a good cleaning, and inspection. Although I have 3 tins of Chinese ammo, I haven't shot any of it. I also like shooting the 91/30 over the M44.
  7. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I can't imagine taking ANY gun straight to the range without first cleaning it and inspecting it... Let alone an old cosmoline covered relic. Safety first.