Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Wearing armor to the range

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by PAGunner, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After seeing way too many incompetent shooters at the range that I care to even remember, the idea has crossed my mind, maybe I should wear armor to the range. So that got me thinking, does anyone I hear have a vest they were to bring to the range?

Probably seems like an over the top safety precaution, but I'm dead serious, I don't trust half the people I see at the range.
  2. ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    I swear that I don't mean this in an insulting way....but if you have to wear armor to feel safe at your shooting range, you should think about going to a different range.

3. usmc4641

usmc4641 NRA member

Apr 4, 2007
    While I do get my jollies off at seeing some of the guys come to the local range all decked out, there is a sense of practicality to it. Practice like you play I reckon. For what you intended reasoning is, I think it may be overkill, or maybe simply time to rethink where you shoot.
  4. dekova

Sep 20, 2011
    what he said.
  5. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    A big +1
  6. Motor City Glocker

Motor City Glocker Gun Addict

Sep 28, 2011
    SE Michigan

7. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Where I use to shoot, the employees of the range wore vests when working with the concealed carry classes, often made up of brand new gun owners. They also wore protection when going to deal with unruly people on the range.

I have been hit by ricochets there. People shoot high and hit the angle bar that holds the target backers. I've politely told the shooters to lower their targets on the backers to avoid hitting the top bar.

I don't have a vest, yet. That may be one of my Christmas presents this year.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  8. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Jul 28, 2008
    Up a tree.
    I'd just go to a different range. I love to shoot as much as the next guy, but I NEVER feel the need so badly that I'd risk being the victim of unsafe goons shooting right beside me.
  9. IT0

Jun 28, 2011

Yes I agree, BUT...I have had loaded guns pointed at me while at more than one range and I agree with the sentiment of he OP.
  10. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Nov 12, 2005

Makes about as much sense.
  11. Denied

Denied NRA Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Retired LEO, when we shot on the range it was SOP to wear our vests, with up to 10 people shooting at the same time bounce back pieces of lead were not uncommon.
  12. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    I'd stay away from that range. The club I belong to is strict, but we police ourselves.

The range I started shooting at had too many shady characters.
  13. Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought of this hazard. I read the posts of guys on here saying just go to a different range, but I've had people point loaded weapons my way at more than one range, just like ITO has experienced. I don't think you can ever completely escape the danger of the range. Seems to me, I'm at least as likely to be shot at the range (accidental/negligent discharge) than any other place I might visit.

So to me, seems like wearing a vest to the range might be the prudent thing to do, considering I value my health/life. Even if it's 1 out of 1,000 shooters that puts you in danger, all it takes is one inexperienced or immature shooter to put you at risk.
  14. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

Sep 15, 2004
    Gator Nation
    PAGunner, I certainly understand your position.

There's an indoor range not far from my work. My normal outdoor range is about 30miles from the house. On occasion, I use the indoor range for a quick function check of a new pistol or one that has just been worked on, rather than drive the extra distance to my club where I can shoot by myself.

I DO wear a vest under my clothes when I use the indoor range. I have the gear, so I use it! I don't know the folks there, don't want to, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'll also wear one if I'm working with a new student that I don't know very well (this does not happen often).

At my outdoor club, I have no such concerns. I shoot by myself or with good friends that I trust in open bays with no other shooters present.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  15. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    Makes sense. We wear our body armor when we work because we might get shot, so it's makes perfect sense to wear it at the range where there actually is live fire. Doesn't help when we shoot the AR though.
  16. Threads like this always makes me thankful I am near this one range. It's a small indoor range (6 ports) owned by the municipality's parks department. It is well run by a bunch of serious shooters (all volunteers) who've been volunteers forever. Most of them are NRA Instructor qualified and love nothing better than to introduce SAFE shooting to the general public.

And as the range is funded by the municipality and these guys work for free, they're not afraid of losing their "jobs." They rigorously uphold the NRA safety rules and will think nothing of refunding somebody their $10 fee and asking them to leave. After years of doing this, the range has developed a reputation as family oriented and where yahoos who want to act like yahoos are not welcome.

The only draw back is that these volunteers love to talk, that one can spend more time chatting with them than actually shooting. :)
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  17. And of course, if you have a bullet resistant vest, wear it. It's an additional safety measure. Just like wearing a baseball cap, in addition to the mandatory eyes and ears protection.
  18. eb31

eb31 ANARCHY!

Sep 11, 2010
    Sounds exactly like the indoor range I go to. I am thankful that they take safety first, regardless of who they offend when they yell at the morons and throw them out.
  19. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Yeah, no. Just no.

I caught a ricochet in the arm once. Hurt like a *****! Like, more than a small injury like that should hurt.
  20. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    I'd be tell the owner -get it together or I'm gone! It the range owner responsibility to ensure a safe shooting environment! Do they have safety officers in the shooting area?:upeyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.