close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

wear to start

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Rinconjoe, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Rinconjoe

Rinconjoe

Dec 1, 2006
    carthage NC
    OK I am thinking of reloading. I am confused about the presses, there are so many brands.
    I want to keep it fairly simple I understand progressive presses are faster and less steps,
    I am looking for quality not quantity , the three that I am looking at reloading are 9Mm maybe , definitely 40 S&W and possibly 7 rem mag ,
    I have over 1000 rounds brass for the 40 and about 300 for rem mag,
    Haven’t bought anything except ABC of reloading it’s on it way,
    So going to ask for suggestion’s yes I understand it’s a personal choice was wondering if some of the start up kits worth it,
    My problems is guess is bullet’s and powder ECT I mainly target shoot my 40 .

2. jr05

jr05

Jun 9, 2007
    I would recommend:
    underwear
    socks
    pants - khaki
    polo shirt

sorry, had to say it.

As far as the press goes, I went with a Lee Classic Turret kit. I have not gotten it yet, but they get very good reviews and should serve you quite well. It can also be set up as as single stage press which gives you some good options for loading, especially the rifle rounds. ABC of reloading is definitely a good start, I knew most of the stuff in there from researching online, but it was a good read.

Personally I would stick with a turret or single stage to start as it just seems safer when you are starting out and learning stuff. Some people may say to go with a progressive right off the bat, but I could see a use for a single stage or turret even if I get a progressive down the road, so it seems like a perfect place to start. Just don't cheap out, get a cast iron one, not the budget versions...The kits do save some money if you intend to buy all the pieces anyway.

3. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
    I say LnL or Dillon 650. LnL is Cheaper and 500 free bullets, 650 is more rugged I guess but is a lot more money, and caliber change over is $$$$. Hornady I feel is more suited for Rifle. Whats your price range and how much will you really be loading.. All these factors play apart.

4. pauldunlop13

pauldunlop13

Sep 22, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    I am at the same stage of investigation

I am pretty much set on the Dillon 500b

5. Ranger325

Ranger325

Jun 22, 2007
    Pineland
    I'd say you're starting off well by odering the ABCs book. Read it, it will generate more questions and make the rounds on the online forums.
    I have a Dillon Square Deal that primarily loads .45 ACP and some 9mm - I like it alot and Dillon is a great company to work with. I also have a RCBS progressive that I'll use for rifle ammo this winter.

Regards,

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I'll disagree w/ my friend Elnino. You do not need a 650 or even a LNL Sounds like a minimal amount of reloading, a Lee turret would work fine, but if you want a progressive, the Dillon 550B can be used like a turret & load one round at a time or as fast as you want. Very well suited to rifle rounds where the LNL can be problematic w/ the shell holder/wire & longer cases. Even a good single stage press kit like the RCBS RCII will work fine for the casula shooter/reloader. I still use my ss press a lot even though I have a 550B & 650.

7. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    We can't possibly answer the "Which press should I buy?" without knowning how many rounds are going to be loaded over some period of time. And how many caliber changes are going to be required.

It is certainly possible to load pistol ammo on a single stage or turret press. I have never used the turret but I can tell you that loading a bunch of pistol ammo on a single stage press is GRIM. It's doable but if you're shooting a couple of hundred rounds per week, you probably won't enjoy reloading.

The other question we should ask is "How much do you have to spend?". My personal favorite press for loading a single caliber of pistol ammo is the Dillon 1050 - think in terms of $1800 ready to load. That just isn't feasible for a lot of shooters. They aren't going to shoot 1000 rounds every time out and they have no need for the speed of a press like that. Besides, caliber changes are expensive and time consuming.

The Dillon XL650 will handle a lot of calibers and caliber changes are fairly easy. It costs a little less than 1/2 that of the 1050 including the case feeder. It is a fully progressive press and capable of cranking out a lot of ammo.

The Dillon 550B is the workhorse of the industry. It loads everything but it does it a little slower. It can be operated as a manually progressive press or in a way that simulates a turret press. Caliber changes are dead simple - unless the primer size is being changed and that's not a big deal either. It is a very capable machine and a great place to start.

Then there are all the other presses.

So, before you can get any realistic answers, you need to provide more information.

Richard

8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    Read Colorado4Wheel's "How to get started in Reloading" 'sticky' at the top of this forum.

In fact, read ALL of the 'stickies'. That's why they are 'sticky'.

Richard

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Get a Lee... it's the easiest one to spell. :whistling:

Jack

10. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    I loaded on a Lyman Turret II Press (just got a Dillon xl650 this pass weekend and still use the Lyman)....did 400 rounds in a day or so over a weekend. Both .40 and 9mm.

It has 5 die stations and you index it manually, but it works great.

I would first de-prime all my cases, tumble them, then start loading them.
    Greg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  11. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I kind of rely on the decapping pin to get the media out of the flash hole. I would have to think about depriming followed by tumbling.

My process is to take the cases out of the media separator and dump them in the case feeder (on the 1050) or shell bin (on the 550B).

Richard

12. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    I did it both ways...I'm talking about BEFORE I got the xl650. Using the Lyman Turret II Press.

I have tumbled them and then de-primed them all first, then loaded them.
    On the xl650, I tumble them first, then load them into the case feeder like you do.

13. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
  14. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
    I have never had a Single problem with my shell plates, But on Chris 550b its a nightmare to load the tiny little .223. They act very top heavy and wobbly on a Dillon.. I would hate to try .308 or 7mm.

I just put out the Progressive, I will use this example that I was told at a fish store. Its a lot Cheaper to buy a 100 gallon now, Than a 10g, 20, 50g, than a 100 gallon as the hobby grows..

Buy a LEE Classic SS kit, I have one and they are money, puts that damn Lyman Orange Crusher I bought from Chris to shame, But that Cheap bastard wont give me a refund....:steamed:

15. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I have loaded quite a bit of .223 on my 550B without problems. I can't recall if I have loaded .308 with that machine; probably not. That is because I feed my M1A with NATO surplus 7.62 mm and I make .308 for my Steyr SSG on my single stage press. Measured loads and all that...

It seems to me the problem might be that the shell plate is too loose.

Richard

16. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    The Lee Classic Turret would be a good press to do the rounds you want to get started. You could always upgrade to a larger faster press later for pistol rounds and just keep the LCT around for lower quantity rifle cartridges. For the larger rifle cartridges like the 7mm you will have to use the LCT as a single stage though but thats not really a big deal unless your loading a lot at one time. Just my $.02.

17. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

Jan 8, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    One of the first questions you should answer for yourself is, "How many times do you want to pull a handle to get a completed round?"

If you get a single-stage or turret, it's a lot more arm work... 3-4 times more than with a progressive. That's 400 pulls for 100rds, instead of ~100. And it's 3-4 times slower.

I'm not one of those guys that factors TIME into my reloading savings... i do it for enjoyment. But like anything, i like having time for other things too.

thorn

18. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    I'd say either the wrong shellplate and/or buttons/pins, or a loose shellplate. Next time you are over at Chris', check the shellplate and pin numbers - both should should be a #3.

I reload a lot of .223 on a 550b, Lee dies, and don't have any problems (except for that darn primer bar sticking).

19. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    A real possibility.

And what is it with that primer bar? Mine sticks from time to time. Then I disassemble it, clean all the pieces, reassemble it and it will work some more.

Richard

20. TX Archer

TX Archer

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm not even remotely qualified to tell you what to get. But having gone through the same education and decision process recently, I can advise you on how to make the decision - read all the stickies at the top of this forum. Then read every thread that sounds like it's related to your reloading goals. When you're reading and come across a concept you don't feel you understand, use the search function and search the reloading forum for it. If you don't get enough info here or just want some variety, do the same thing at the Brian Enos forum, The High Road, and The Firing Line. I did this for months before I bought my equipment and I think it helped a lot. It gave me a good idea of what people use, the various pros and cons of different equipment, and helped me learn a lot about the process.

FWIW, I ended up buying a Dillon 550B with toolheads and dies for 9mm and .40 S&W along with a Dillon Eliminator scale from Brian Enos. Tumbler was a Cabela's brand made by Berry's. Your needs may be different.