close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Weapon Diversification?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by III_M1KE_III, Mar 12, 2012.

1. III_M1KE_III

III_M1KE_III

Feb 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    DISCLAIMER: I think I’ve been watching too many of these “Doomsday Prepper” shows on TV!

I’ve been trying to diversify my home arsenal to prepare for various scenarios. Currently I own the following weapons:

a) 5.56mm AR-15
    b) 12Ga Rem 870
    c) 45ACP RIA 1911
    d) 9mm Glock 26

I like to have a diverse collection of weapons to assure that in a situation where ammunition and/or replacement parts becomes limited (i.e. natural disaster, loss of infrastructure, riots, etc.) I have a weapon or backup weapons that I can keep functional for as long as possible. Living in an urban environment my focus is Close Quarter Battle (CQB) arms.

One of my primary concerns as it applies to diversification of weapons pertains to the availability of ammunition. As such, I try to stay focused on widely available calibers. I had planned to limit my pistols to 45ACP and 9mm calibers. I keep the 45ACP 1911 as MY primary handgun for self-defense. I purchased the 9mm Glock 26 primarily for my WIFE to use and become familiar with as the 1911 recoil is too much for her to handle.

More recently, I’m finding myself interested in the 40S&W caliber. With more LE agencies adopting this caliber it is becoming as ubiquitous as 9mm and 45ACP with regards to availability.

I am now in the market for a third handgun and am debating if I should diversify with a new 9mm pistol from a new manufacturer (i.e. the M&P9c) or a new caliber from a familiar manufacturer (i.e. the Glock 27) or a new caliber/manufacturer (i.e. the M&P40c).

My thoughts on these three options are as follows. I've ranked the options in order of my current preference:

(#1) 40S&W Glock 27:
    I really like the Glock 26 (I have the Gen4 version) and would love to get a G27 with the added punch of the 40S&W caliber. I’m nervous about needing to now stock a third pistol caliber ($$$), but like the idea of diversification. There is some interchangeability of the internal G26 and G27 parts as well as many of the accessories (holsters, etc.) which helps provide some redundancy should I need to cannibalize parts to get one of the two pistols back up and running in the event of a failure.

One concern I have with the G27 is that it is nearly identical to the G26 and I’m concerned about my wife or I trying too slam a magazine of 9mm cartridges into the G27, or vice-versa, while trying to gain my composure after being startled awake in the middle of the night. There are ways to mitigate this (i.e. different colored mag floor plates, extensions, etc.) however, it still remains a concern.

(#2) 9mm M&P9c:
    I’ve been eye-balling this gun for a while and almost bought one last week. I like the idea of supporting an American made product. I love the grips on this gun, but don’t care much for the trigger design/action. I like the idea of diversifying with a different manufacturer. Should there be a shortage of Glock parts due to some catastrophic event, I like that I would have a second brand to serve as a backup.

I also suspect that my wife will prefer to shoot this gun due to the grip design compared to the G26. Also, the G26 tends to eject empty cases at her face approximately 10% of the time (yes….she’s probably limp-wristing) and I’m hoping the M&P9c won’t. As we don’t have access to renting or borrowing a M&P9c, I cannot verify this prior to purchasing.

(#3) 40S&W M&P40c or M&P40 or M&P40 Pro Series:
    This purchase would be the ultimate in diversification. I tend to associate Glock with 9mm and Smith & Wesson with 40cal, so this might be the best solution yet. I would have a Glock chambered in the caliber they were originally designed for…. and a S&W Military & Police pistol chambered in a caliber now heavily being favored by “Police”. The only downside here is that I’m on the fence regarding the compact, full-size, or Pro Series.

I like the M&P40c frame for concealment, while the Pro Series is ideal for target acquisition and recoil management. This brings about a whole different set of pros/cons I don’t even want to have to worry about right now.

Is there anything else I’m overlooking? The best answer (to me)….is to buy them all! However, due to the fact that I value my marriage and my wife is getting tired of me buying new guns… this next purchase will be the last one for a while. As a result, I want to make the best possible purchasing decision so as to minimize regret.

Any input you may have on my dilemma is GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks for reading my post.

- M1KE

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Don't get into a new caliber primarily because you think you can get ammo for it should the thousands of rounds you should already have will dry up and you won't get any more.

If you can't get 9mm or 45, odds are you won't be able to get .40 either. And realistically speaking, you'll be dead long before you run out of ammo.

Use the money to buy spare parts and more ammo in the calibers you already have. You're better off creating a homogenous "system", eg, stick with Glock 9mms. Common magazines, spare parts, etc.

All that said, you can get a .40 and get a 9mm conversion barrel for not a whole lot of money.

3. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    Diversification is overrated for your concerns. If you have three completely different types of handguns, with three types of magazines, taking three types of ammo, you are one link away from a useless type of weapon. Run out of that caliber, lose that type of mag, or break any part in that handgun, and you can toss out the entire platform.

I think it would be more prudent to duplicate what you have, and stock extra parts and ammo for them. Break something, and you can fix it and carry on.

4. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

Nov 16, 2009
    During the big run on ammo a few years ago there was a number of time I could find .40s&w at walmart when they were out of 9 and 45. Maybe it was just my neck of the woods or something but it did happen several times. I've always believed caliber diversification only makes sense. The big run on ammo only solidified that belief. I'll never limit my capability to just one pistol or rifle ammo.

To me having a GLOCK in the 3 main calibers only makes sense. Parts available everywhere, easy to work on, lots of models interchange most of the parts. Parts are cheap too so it's cheap to build up spares kits. No down sides really. Holsters easy to come by too.

5. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    Learn to reload and cast bullets. Stock Primers, Powder and Wheel Weights and you can cobble together any round you'd care to keep dies and a bullet mold for. :supergrin:

6. III_M1KE_III

III_M1KE_III

Feb 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Great points! I definately hear what the two of you are saying. I was even considering just buying a 2nd Glock 26. One to keep at the house at all times and the other to take along with me in the car. Perhaps I may just go that route....

7. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Mar 15, 2011
    Alabama
    I'd stay with the calibers I have and invest in more and more ammo for the 9's and 45. Those are the two calibers that I have yet I have a lot of pistols. Mostly nines!

8. III_M1KE_III

III_M1KE_III

Feb 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I live in a major city (San Diego, CA) and I've had the same problem. 45ACP ball ammo will be completely sold out at all of the local retailers and I'm forced to buy extremely expensive defensive rounds.... or skip out on the range that week. It's happened to me on a few occasions at Walmart, Big 5, and Turner's.

9. III_M1KE_III

III_M1KE_III

Feb 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    You sir are genius....and I'm dying to get into reloading. I'm just worried about adding another expensive and time-consuming hobby to my repertoire.

My wife hates all the time I spend tinkering with and cleaning my guns in the garage. If I start spending time out there reloading…… I may very well end up a bachelor in no time flat!

10. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    You already have 4 of the most common/popular calibers around. Stick with what you have and buy more ammo. In the extremely unlikely event of a catostrophe I'd rather have ammo in my house than a bunch of different guns that I need to scrounge ammo for. You can't be sure you'd have a chance to even search for ammo, let alone find any.

11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    He's in California. Ain't no lead there... everything pre-ban has been hoarded by fred. And keep your eyes off my stash. :steamed:

12. 4 glocks

4 glocks

Jun 29, 2010
    A long time ago I decided to keep guns in the same cal. so I would not need alot of diff. cal.
    Shot guns 12 ga.
    Rifles 5.56
    Handguns 9mm, .357/.38 4 Glocks all 9mm to share ammo and mags. I keep plenty of that ammo on hand to cover my needs. Some people seem to think you need 20K to 30k of ammo on hand. I think 1k to 2k should do just fine. it dose turn into an addiction and the more you have the more you think you need.

13. Decguns

Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    NC
    In a SHTF situation, reloading gear is dead weight. You're not going to be able to bug out with your RCBS or Dillon loader and 50lbs of wheel weights in your pack. I have four reloading stations in my garage, but they're not parts of my SHTF plan. Better off to invest in loaded ammo you can easily bug out with. Won't need that reloader for several generations anyway.

I wouldn't waste my time on an LE cartridge like the 40 S&W anyway. Police departments are the last guys to get ammo in an emergency and usually don't keep that much ammo on hand anyway. Better off to stick with what the military is shooting.

14. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Dont forget about magazines!

All the ammo in the world does you no good if its not already loaded into mags.

Forget a new gun purchase, you have your bases covered. Buy 10 spare mags for each gun you own.

15. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
  16. III_M1KE_III

III_M1KE_III

Feb 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Lmao....I wish!

17. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    I would get a G19 or G17.

Or, to go in a completely different direction, everyone needs a Ruger 10/22 and 22/45.

18. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    Diversify the location of some of your weapons. Just ask yourself this question: If your home became compromised, would you lose all of your guns?

19. BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

Nov 29, 2011
    I've been consolidating my calibers for possible SHTF scenarios rather than diversifying. That's also the reason I went with 9mm for my basic stockpile, along with .22LR, of course.

Sounds like you have all your bases covered already.

20. III_M1KE_III

III_M1KE_III

Feb 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Since a thread with no pictures is analagous to a gun without any bullets.....here's my SHTF load out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]