Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Weak plastic OEM sights?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by argento, Feb 19, 2011.

1. argento

Oct 11, 2010
    I've seen many glock reviewers turn their noses up at plastic stock sights...

I hammered off the fixed rear sight on my 17a and replaced it with a plastic adjustable, also suitably hammered on...

Tough little buggers they are... :wow:
  2. I have no issues with the plastic OE sights...I don't care for the original adjustables as they appeared to be weaker but have no first hand experience with them (although GLOCK changed them) but it seems from your post they are tough...good to know...

3. Grovenator

Nov 27, 2005
    Both GLOCKS I have bought have GNS on them. I won't buy a GLOCK with the stock plastic sights on it. For one, I can't stand that U shaped rear sight outline. I have a friend that had his front sight fall off of his G 21 some years ago. That's when I decided to never have the stock plastic ones on any GLOCK that I ever owned. But if they work for you guys that's a good thing.:wavey:
  4. I'm guessing most Glocks are sold with the stock plastic sights and their owners see no need to swap it out for a metal/night sight or adjustable sight. The decision would likely depend on amount of usage and what you intend to use it for.
  5. loose cannon

loose cannon

Mar 19, 2004
    sw missouri
    im all about the aroteks.i wont even try the thing until i"aro tek"it.

but many seem to like the stock sights.we all have our flavor :)
  6. People talk down on the plastic sights too much. They are on the glock to make it cheaper for the end consumer to purchase. They are also very sturdy. But like any other small plastic pieces, if you bang them up really hare, they might break. As for falling off I've heard of that happening with every type of sight, even night sites.
  7. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

Nov 29, 2003
    The polymer sights are designed to be easily and inexpensively replaced. The rear sights are available in four heights, and the original front (with the feet and spreader pin) was designed for ease-of-installation in field situations. Originally, the adjustable sights were needed for import purposes ("target sights" add import points), and weren't ever intended for long-term use. Steel sights were installed as desired once the guns were "stateside".

The polymer sights are rustproof (the little metal tab at the bottom can rust, though) and actually are pretty hard to bang out of place in the Glock dovetail (the polymer expands when you apply force to it, thereby resisting movement). The front, though (prior to the new screw-on polymer sights), could be readily removed with a pair of pliers or banging on a table edge.

For LE use, polymer rear sights quickly become rounded on the edges as they are bumped on car doors and gun lockers. You can rip them off during one-handed malfunction clearing drills (catching the rear sight on the holster to rack the slide). Hence, most LE users prefer steel/tritium.

If you are a target shooter, and/or have no intention of using the rear sight to rack the slide one-handed in an emergency, the polymer rear sights are good because they are inexpensive and can be tailored to suit your choice of ammo weight (remember, four heights available). The Glock OEM adjustable sight is also good in it's current, updated design (a far cry from the junky one that we used to see on Gen1 G17's). Another good thing about the Glock polymer sights is that you can merely remove it and turn it around (white outline facing AWAY), or install a new one backwards, if you prefer an all-black rear sight.

Make mine metal! Glock offers steel white-outline rear sights that can be paired with a tritium or fiber-optic front for an excellent sight system.

Dec 20, 2002
    My issue with the stock plastic sights is the that the front sight takes on a mushroom profile over time from all the little bumps they take, reducing accuracy.
  9. You can replace it really cheaply though. That is the good thing.
  10. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

Jan 19, 2004
    Louisville Kentucky
    I put a factory adjustable Polymer Sight on the Rear of my 17L & now it hits to Point of Aim Perfectly..
    The sight isn't really robust but should last quite a while till I can get something better..
    It fits the dovetail very tightly & doesn't appear it will ever move on it's own..

Factory Adjustable Rear Sight Assembly
  11. Just remember: Glock perfection ends at the top of the slide
  12. Glockpimp

Jan 16, 2011
    the plastic sights are fine as standard sights for the average shooter.
  13. TSAX

Jun 5, 2010
  14. chukb

Feb 23, 2010
    SW FL
    I have glock night sights and stock regular sights. I prefer the regular stock U sights over the night sights for range shooting. they are easier to see during day.

I could have had ed's put on GNS for about $50 but I opted for stock sights on my recent 26 for this reason.
  15. LV_G26

May 7, 2009
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I replace all of the plastic Glock sights with either Glock steel sights or Glock night sights to allow for one-handed malfunction clearances, etc.

You never know when you are going to have to rack the slide one-handed in an emergency.

Lately I have had trouble finding Glock steel SCREW ON front sights. Does anyone have a source?
  16. fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Stock sights are plastic? Never knew that. I replaced all mine because I like 3 dot night sight setups. No other reason for me.
  17. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

Jan 19, 2004
    Louisville Kentucky
    YUP!! Most factory sights are plastic..
    Have a look at the bottom of this 21 year old rear sight & you can see the rust on the metal tab inside the plastic sight.. This is the one I replaced with the adjustable one on my Long Slide 17L..
  18. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    The plastic Glock sights are fine for starting out.

But if you are going to carry that for SD, getting metal would be a good idea.

Only my Advantage Arms .22lr slide has plastics.
  19. bsg1

Aug 31, 2009
    Southern California
    i buy Trijicon night sights.
  20. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    These OEM plastic junk sights are Glocks stupidity. Its almost like they are selling a kit gun.:upeyes: