We need to challenge misinformation in the media

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by Glock_Convert, Jan 30, 2013.

1. I just sent the following to fox news.com after reading their headline story this morning. I strongly encourage you all to do likewise when the media spews inaccuracies that hurt informed discussion. If more people understood that the antis, with the willing or ignorant support of the media, are being sneaky here by calling semi auto rifles "assault weapons" and that what they really mean by "assault weapon" is "all firearms", maybe the antis could get shut down faster.

To: foxnewstips@foxnews.com

Subject: Error in today's foxnews.com headline story

Good morning, there is a significant error in your online headline story this morning entitled “NRA's LaPierre to tell Congress more gun laws 'not a serious solution'.

The seventh paragraph states “a lone gunman with psychological problems used an assault weapon...”

Assault Weapons are already banned in Connecticut and the firearm used by Adam Lanza was NOT AN ASSAULT WEAPON.* It was a semi-automatic rifle that was legal under both CT’s current assault weapon ban and the expired federal assault weapon ban.* In fact, the only “military features” it possessed were a pistol grip and a detachable magazine

Continuing to misidentify these firearms in stories misleads the public and is poor reporting.* People need to understand that if they want to ban weapons like the one used in the Sandy Hook killing, what they are really talking about is banning ALL semiautomatic rifles, because the one used at Sandy Hook was functionally no different from any other medium caliber semiautomatic rifle.*

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    `Hennessey Decided the Challenger Hellcat Needs More Noise and Power` The Okie Corral Jul 21, 2015
    My Glock 36 challenges - input needed. General Glocking Feb 18, 2013
    Steel Challenge - Scope, Mags & Other Equipment needed? Rimfire Forum Oct 31, 2012
    I feel the need to make an important announcement The Okie Corral Yesterday at 11:43 PM
    I need to say this: The Okie Corral Thursday at 8:03 PM

3. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Nice.

4. RussP

Sounds like an idea.

5. Lord

Lord Senior Member

very well stated. it is also known as witness on some video, that the AR was never in the building... it was found in the trunk of a car that didn't even belong to Lanza.

We will never know, but wouldn't it be something if Lanza never even knew the weapon was there?

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Start with MSNBC, cropping audio from the hearings in CT where a parent is reportedly 'heckled' by pro gunners- when full audio reveals he wasn't. At all.
    It's pathetic.

7. I am confused about what weapons were used. It was reported that the medical examiner said that all the fatalities were due to .223. But it was reported that lanza only had two handgun with him when they found his body. Then there was the whole "saiga in the trunk" issue and one report I saw said the ar was found in the back seat. Maybe the police report, when released will clear it up. But I would think some official in the know would have spoken up by now if the rifle wasn't used at all.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

8. Jerry

Moderator Millennium Member

Excellent!!! I continuously PO people at work... including my boss. They keep showing me internet and news paper articles supposedly supporting gun rights that contain misinformation. Just yesterday someone left one on the table that stated, "there are a zillion gun laws... "Australia has a complete ban on owning firearms". I wrote "FALSE" over bot statements and made a note. "I appreciate people supporting our Second Amendment Rights. However misinformation make us all look like fools." Then I posted a copy of the petition signed by our Special Forces personnel. :supergrin:

9. Jerry

You mean you expect the truth to come-out like it has for Fast and Furious, the Trayvon Martin shooting, Waco and Ruby Ridge? Good luck with that. :yawn:

10. RussP

State police identify weapons used in sandy hook investigation
    http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=517284&A=4226

In the original news release CSP described the Bushmaster this way:
    I sent the following email to Lt. Vance on January 20:
    While they let the "high capacity" stand, they did change from "clips" to magazines.

11. RussP

That was sickening, irresponsible...but, what's new about that.

12. Jerry

I'll tell you what is very strange about that. I saw with my very own eyes, and I'll bet money no one can find it anywhere now, on a local news broadcaster, video of someone taking an AR out of "A CAR TRUNK". That was one of the things mentions on the radio conspiracy theory broadcast that I listened to the other night. Now you see it, now you don't. Very strange how things get "rearranged" to fit the gun-banners agenda isn't it? But then I'm probably just :crazy: and I didn't really see what I thought I saw. :upeyes:

13. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Used in Sandy Hook to me means that he had them, not that he actually fired it.

14. RussP

The helicopter video?

15. Jerry

No, ground level video of PD or sheriff/deputy taking it out of a civilian car trunk and audio by a reporters saying "an assault weapon was found in the gunman's trunk". The helicopter video I saw showed the cops bringing someone to their knees behind the school. Never hear anymore about that person either. But then I stopped listing to the crap when the story kept changing. I said... HERE WE GO AGAIN. MAKE UP THE FACTS AS WE GO. :upeyes:

16. Jerry

:rofl: Are you for real? I suppose he used the tire-iron too. :upeyes:

Boy has the educational system failed. Make up definitions to fit one's emotional beliefs. :upeyes:

After reading the "real" definitions please show me how "had/have" = "used".

Definition of USE
    a : the act or practice of employing something
    b : the fact or state of being used
    c : a method or manner of employing or applying something

Definition of HAVE
    a : to hold or maintain as a possession, privilege, or entitlement
    b : to hold in one's use, service, regard, or at one's disposal

To use it one must have it. To have it doesn't not mean one used/uses it.

#15 Jerry, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  17. RussP

Didn't see ground shot...

Wasn't the guy in the back the priest gathering firewood?

18. Jerry

Don't know. Was the priest running away from police and got cutoff by other police brought to his knees and handcuffed? If so than it was the priest. If not it was someone else. That was shot from a helicopter. As I said it didn't take long for me to start ignoring the BS. I knew pretty quickly that we'd never know the truth.

19. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

One thing is for sure, we may never know the details or answers to this story.

Bad reporting? Conspiracy? Mis/Dis-information?

I know I Google searched: "fact check guy running into woods sandy hook" and these were the top two answers.

http://theintelhub.com/2013/01/26/sandy-hook-shooting-man-in-camo-exposed/

http://www.pakalertpress.com/2013/01/27/sandy-hook-shooting-man-in-camo-exposed/

The wording is almost identical. And this is the first I've heard of this explanation. The others were a minister from the church across the street gathering firewood.

But the news video plastered all over the internet shows a man running from the police. What "minister gathering firewood" runs from the police? What "father coming to school to bake cookies" runs from the police?

When questions aren't answered and facts don't add up people start to question.

I am starting to question too.

Cue Peacewarrior.

20. RussP

That one!!!

No, that was shot a few days earlier before the non-shootings to use as filler for the media. :tongueout:

21. Jerry

Boy, you asking for a arss woppen? That's right... I call you BOY! :tongueout: :rofl: :supergrin: