close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

We have the General Assembly back! Now what...?

Discussion in 'Carolina Glockers' started by Grayson, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Grayson

Grayson

Jan 18, 2006
    So with a Republican Government, and an "NRA Endorsed" :whistling: Governor in Raleigh...if there's ANY chance of improving some of NC's inane gun laws, this is it!

I've already written my Rep, and plan to on my brand new Senator :supergrin: shortly, on the "Emergency Powers" law which the State is actually being sued over. A law that gives the Governor carte blance to suspend the 2A for ANY kind of "emergency" seems like a good place to start...

2. nursetim

nursetim

Mar 1, 2006
    liberalville N. M.
    Reintroduce the repeal of the pistol purchase permit, maybe it will fly this time. Maybe it will get done before I get back there. That would be grand.

3. Grayson

Grayson

Jan 18, 2006
    We'll work on it! :thumbsup:

GRNC's Paul Valone says (I think) that it'll be better to let the Courts strike down the "Emergency Powers" law, and there's already a lawsuit against it. Interesting times coming up, and for once I'm hoping it might be the GOOD interesting!

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Concealed carry in businesses that serve alcohol. CC in places that charge admission. I don't drink, but am suposed to leave my gun in the car when I go out for dinner. I can carry my gun in Walmart, but not in a movie theater? Dumb provisions.

5. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

Sep 11, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Parades and public gatherings as well I hope.

6. Short Bus

Short Bus

Jan 11, 2008
    Western NC
    I will second the two previous post. I hate breaking the law when I go eat dinner.

7. Derek02100

Derek02100

Mar 17, 2010
    I will be in Raleigh in January for the inauguration of the new general assembly! Our family friend Rayne Brown was elected in November and took the seat of Hugh Holliman house Majority leader.

What I would like to see is a change in the concealed carry laws to allow carrying in more places. Also a revisit of the Castle Doctrine bill!

I hope our great state becomes more firearm friendly!

8. +P Shooter

+P Shooter

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Allowing concealed carry in restaurants that get less than 50% of
    their revenue from alcohol sales would be great. I also hope they
    eliminate the duty to retreat requirement from the castle doctrine.

9. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Aug 14, 2006
    Foothills

In NC there is no duty to retreat before using deadly force if the victim is on his or her own premises, or on his or her business premises, or is at home.

10. +P Shooter

+P Shooter

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    I apologize for not making myself clear. I meant eliminating the
    duty to retreat in areas other than the ones that you just mentioned
    NC Bullseye.

11. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Feb 25, 2002
    USofA!
  12. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
  13. ncglock19

ncglock19

Jan 6, 2010
    Apex, NC
    I would love to see the Bill passed that allows you to have your gun (locked and out of site) in your vehicle, no matter where you are (work, etc.). Would save a lot of time going back home to get the 19 to go to the range.

Also, being able to carry where you are charged admission would be great, too. Theaters, museums, etc.

nc19

14. AMEN on castle doctrine, restaurants and admission charging venues, parades, and gatherings, and eliminating the "emergency" thingy.

I know there were quite a few reps in the LAST gen. assy. that opposed 2nd amendment ANYTHING. Ross (dem, Wake County) was the main obstacle on the last attempt of castle doc.

I also agree with "less than 50% of revenue from alcohol sales".

The main thing we have to do is CALL, WRITE, and EMAIL them!!!!

"We shall not go quietly into the night"..... Bill (something-or-other) from Independence Day

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  15. Nyper

Nyper

Jan 2, 2004
    Lebanon TN
    Please explain?

Are you saying that if you have a CCW and are going to the movies (where they charge admission), you can't leave the firearm in a locked trunk while you're in the movies?

Or are you only saying that you don't like the fact that your employer can tell you not to have weapons on the premises?

16. ncglock19

ncglock19

Jan 6, 2010
    Apex, NC
    Nyper -

To clarify, I'm talking about my employer (among others) not allowing guns anywhere on the premises. I'm not asking to carry indoors, but we're not even allowed to have them in vehicles if they are on site.

Think about it, you can bring your gym clothes in your care if you want to go to the gym before or after work. You can bring your softball gear for a game you go to after work. But if you want to go to the range after work, you have to go back to your house to get your gear.

There was a Bill that got tabled in committee here in NC last session that allowed for guns in cars provided they are secure. Love those liberals.

Reference House Bill 1133 "Firearm in Locked Motor Vehicle/Parking Lot." You can search on it to see the details. First statement in the Bill (forgive the caps)

1 A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
    2 AN ACT TO PROVIDE THAT NO BUSINESS, COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE, OR
    3 EMPLOYER SHALL PROHIBIT THE TRANSPORTATION OR STORAGE OF A
    4 FIREARM OR AMMUNITION WHEN THE FIREARM AND AMMUNITION ARE
    5 LOCKED OUT OF SIGHT IN A MOTOR VEHICLE, TO PROVIDE THAT A
    6 BUSINESS, COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE, OR EMPLOYER IS LIABLE TO ANYONE
    7 INJURED AS A RESULT OF AN UNLAWFUL PROHIBITION, TO PROVIDE THAT A
    8 PERSON MAY BRING A CIVIL ACTION TO ENFORCE THE RIGHT TO
    9 TRANSPORT AND STORE A FIREARM AND AMMUNITION IN A LOCKED
    10 MOTOR VEHICLE ON THE PROPERTY OF A BUSINESS, COMMERCIAL
    11 ENTERPRISE, OR EMPLOYER, AND TO PROVIDE THAT A BUSINESS,
    12 COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE, OR EMPLOYER IS NOT CIVILLY LIABLE FOR
    13 DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANOTHER PERSON'S ACTIONS INVOLVING A
    14 FIREARM TRANSPORTED OR STORED IN A LOCKED VEHICLE IN A MANNER
    15 THAT COMPLIES WITH STATE LAW.

nc19

17. Derek02100

Derek02100

Mar 17, 2010
    Yeah Its kind of stupid that we are not allowed to carry when a state of emergency is declared... Um that's when you really should carry.

If they declare an emergency when the zombies attack... law or not my AR and tac shotgun are coming with me everywhere! :)

18. at_liberty

at_liberty

Jun 19, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Carry in restaurants serving alcohol will never pass as long as gun advocates want to reserve the right to drink publicly while armed. Those who want to be able to carry are not always telling the whole story. They refuse to separate drinking and carrying. I think drinking while CCW is irresponsible and wouldn't blame someone for being concerned about me as a safety threat.

19. rdanfox

rdanfox

Mar 1, 2005
    Columbus,NC
    "any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. §§ 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, or 120-
    32.1. (school grounds, areas where alcohol is sold and consumed, state
    property, legislative buildings, and public gatherings, such as parades);"

"It is unlawful for the permittee to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol,
    or at any time while the permittee has remaining in his or her body, any alcohol, or a
    controlled substance previously consumed. However, a permittee does not violate this law if a controlled substance in his or her blood was lawfully obtained and taken in
    therapeutically appropriate amounts. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c)"

These are two different laws. Repealing the no carry into establishments that serve alcohol would still not allow legal consumption while armed.

20. at_liberty

at_liberty

Jun 19, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Different in SC.