close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WE GOT WEED - Illinois

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Sharky7, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

2. plp

plp

Just out of curiosity, has anyone recently tested drivers under the influence for impairment?

As I recall, when the FDA tested marinol, they gave it the same restrictions associated with many over the counter medications.

On another subject, as LEO, how do you see this impacting your day to day job? Good, bad or indifferent?

3. Vigilant

Vigilant

People will drive impaired by just about any prescription drug. That argument is BS IMO.

I'm by no means a medical expert, and I personally despise it. But if MJ is the best means of providing relief to people with certain chronic medical ailments, and provided it is stringently regulated, I can't say that I would be totally opposed to the idea.

Charts! We need charts! :rofl:

4. scottydl

scottydl

I see some problems, or at least added work for LEO's...

- A lot of the public is dumb and many people won't follow the rules, thinking that because a law is passed that it's a free-for-all to smoke weed anywhere, anytime.

- There are doctors who will allow themselves to be bribed (whether by cash, additional insurance payments, increased patient base, etc.) to falsify or exaggerate records so they can prescribe to patients who wouldn't otherwise qualify. How will the law define an "established relationship" and how will that doc-writing-the-prescription end of things be enforced?

- The same potential for abuse exists with the dispensaries. How will they be chosen, regulated, and enforced?

- If someone wants a marijuana prescription, then they should have to surrender their driver's license IMO. The Illinois DUI statute (which I know won't be reduced or relaxed because of MADD and other DUI advocacy groups) states that any amount of cannabis or an illegal controlled substance = a DUI conviction. Unless the patient is bedridden, chances are very high they will be driving under the influence quite often. That's a lose-lose situation, which will result in cancer patients (as one example) being arrested for DUI, and/or killing someone in a crash that is blamed on their medical marijuana. Bad press all the way around.

I like the restrictions, but there seem to still be a lot of unanswered questions.

Yes. With "regular" marijuana users, their driving behavior and impairment indicators are very similar to DUI Alcohol. Confusion, subdued reflexes, fatigue, poor attention to detail. All bad things when trying to drive.

5. BicycleDay43

BicycleDay43 00 Buck dude

Except those impairments don't occur to all MJ users. Not to mention for many, MJ helps the user focus enough to be a MORE detailed, safety oriented driver.

*checks watch*

Welp, looks like its about time to get flamed by several users who have never actually smoked and therefore don't truly KNOW what it does to you.

Sent from the bluegrass state using my LG. Have a GLOCKtastic day!

6. scottydl

scottydl

You're probably right. Kinda funny that I've just never encountered that type of marijuana user in my 11.5 years of full time law enforcement. Ever.

And I don't plan to start smoking weed just to "find out what it's like" nor do I need that experience to enforce criminal laws effectively.

7. Knute

Knute "Nothin"

8. Morris

Morris CLM

In the last six months, I've had two DUI/Drugs cases due to marijuana.

That being said, we're in a funny place. You literally can't drive two miles anywhere in Seattle without driving past a "medical marijuana clinic" or "green collective." Guess what, growers are still getting raided by other thieves and dopers. Legalization has meant a whole new group of problems, laws and headaches as it is being taxed and regulated. Which has pushed some even further underground into the black economy, to avoid the taxes and oversight.

What has bemused me is how many 18 and 19 year olds are carrying "prescriptions" for "chronic pain" or "bad backs." Knew one 20 year old that was prescribed over a pound of dope a month for "anxiety issues."

I have no issues with legalization but I wish those who thought legalizing it would lead to a panacea, or fields full of flowers and unicorns would wake up to reality. Even while legal, dope is still being grown illegally and in a manner to destroy homes and national forests.

9. plp

plp

So are you are saying, based on your experience, that THAT profile of driver does not tend to get stopped for traffic violations?

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  10. BicycleDay43

You're somewhat wrong. Stoned drivers drive right past YOUR cruiser everyday, officer. You'll never know it because they're driving perfectly fine.

What's my source? A S***-TON of people drive stoned every day on this planet and do it with flying colors.

11. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, and all "I only had one drink" drivers...never mind.

As to the need to experience a MJ high, I have a challenge to you.

Where are you in Kentucky? We have officers, deputies, troopers on here from all over. I am certain that we could set up an agility test. You start smoking, wait a certain length of time, and then drive an agility course.

Have you ever done that to test your reaction to emergencies while driving under the influence of MJ?

You up for it?

12. BicycleDay43

I'm in the Army barracks of Fort Campbell, Ky.

And yes, I would absoloutely be up for taking an agility course provided none of said LEO's were just using the course as a way to f*** me over.

Ill do ya one better. I get to take the course in a 5 speed manual. Ill also start the course only 5 minutes after smoking an entire blunt of high grade.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  13. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

The only people I've ever seen who claim MJ doesn't impair, are people who smoke weed. That's not exactly what I'd call an unbiased opinion. It's definitely not based in reality.

The are plenty of scientific studies which prove MJ causes impairment. But, instead if facts let us just rely on the biased word of stoners.

That makes sense.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

You have no idea how many of us have pulled over people who were high, because of their driving, much less how many times we have done so.

You state your ignorant opinion as fact, only because you are biased.

That's an opinion. Not a source.

15. BicycleDay43

You want a source? I used to drive extremely baked, literally every day to work and back and pretty much wherever I drove around Albuquerque, New Mexico. I've never been in an accident. 3/4 of my friends do the exact same thing.

But of course, you won't see this as an experience based account. You'll most likey go on about how this is just a biased oppinion. Or you'll revert the topic and start telling me I'm a danger to society who hates America or some other do-gooder nonsense.

So you tell me. Knowing the info I just gave you, is this entire post just a biased oppinion?

Interestingly enough, both my mother and father have been in several accidents/fender benders over the years but have NEVER driven under the influence.

Funny that scientific studies were mentioned.

Statistically speaking, people who drive sober in my family are more likely to cause an accident than myself, driving constantly stoned.

Of course, I'm just biased and ignorant.

16. Vigilant

Vigilant

17. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

I still do not understand the rationale of 'freedom loving Americans' being against a persons free choice to do something that is not harming someone else. Sure there are 'stoners' that will cause vehicular accidents, but not nearly as many as alcohol or cell phones. The issue really comes down to being responsible for your actions.

If you think the war on drugs is about keeping you safe... keep on kidding yourself. It is all about money and control.

18. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

You are biased, and your opinions are based in ignorance. You're claim that you've never been in an accident could be attributed to luck as much as anything else.

It is irrational to claim that ALL of anything can be based on a sample of one. Much less when that single sample has an obvious reason to be biased one way or another.

You like to smoke weed, by you're own admission, so you have a reason to have a skewed point of view. Your words aren't back by anything, so there is no reason to believe anything you say. Your claims are baseless, and your argument claims no merit.

You're not dangerous because you smoke weed, you're dangerous because you apparently lack the ability to be rational. Smoking weed is just a byproduct of that.

19. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

The vast majority of property crime is perpetuated by people who need money to fuel their addictions. People who are so hooked on dope that they can't keep down a job commonly have to revert to theft.

I've also seen many people commit robberies, or even worse crimes, because they were either desperate or not in their right mind because of dope, so they take from, and hurt, other people.

I don't care what people do in the privacy of their own homes, but when it spills out into the streets, it becomes societies problem. That makes it the cops' problem.

The "war" on drugs isn't about money or control. It's about keeping the wolves at bay. You don't know this because you don't really know the truth. Like your other friend in this thread, you speak from ignorance.

20. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Do your commanders know of your use?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.