We dodged the perfect solar storm

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by daydreamer, Mar 19, 2014.

1. #1 daydreamer, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Dodged a bullet last week. Diamond Resorts The Okie Corral Mar 16, 2015
    Dodged a bullet tonight The Okie Corral Apr 26, 2014
    Newtown-& Why We Dodged a Bullet. Gun-Control Issues Sep 9, 2013
    Dodged a bullet? Reloading Jan 14, 2012
    WTS: Glock 19 Gen4 FDE w/night sights - Perfect! Firearms Listings Aug 15, 2015

3. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

This quote is worth repeating!

4. It's only a matter of time. Just like yellow stone caldera, the even bigger volcano in the pacific, the big one out west or countless others. The only difference is that we can actually do something about a solar storm. We can harden the grid at a cost that is a fraction of our national spending.

5. quake

Millennium Member

My thought - what if he's wrong; bad wrong, I mean even 'off by a factor of ten' kind of wrong...?

Still looking at potentially 5 months to a year. Picture even a tenth of the world without power for anything approaching a half a year. Now picture it happening suddenly, with no warning (for most people at least), and with no way for those people to know how long that situation might drag out.

Half a year to a year? That's a LONG honkin' time.

6. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

IMO....would be an eternity for most Americans...

..and others worldwide highly dependent on the products of technology..

YMMV

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Seems to me that a lot of people in sciences dealing with weather, geology, astronomy, etc., have found that the best way to generate funding and get publicity is with doom scenarios about extreme events that they need to be hired to monitor, predict or prevent.