close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Watertown search videos are surfacing!

Discussion in 'Civil Liberties Issues' started by G19G20, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

This shouldn't be funny, but it is in a gallows humor sort of way.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Depends on the individual. I'd expect a certain level of anxiety on most people's faces, even if he wasn't there.

3. debbert

debbert
    Expand Collapse

I don't believe that this would have played out so well in Texas. That's just an opinion.

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds
    Expand Collapse
    Tewwowist

Good point. Who won't show anxiety when they open the door to find a 6 or 8 man team decked out in battle dress pointing guns your way and barking orders?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Gee, I though they just evacuated a town in Texas because of some explosion????

I didn't hear too much complaining.

Must have been a different Texas

6. OldSchool64

OldSchool64
    Expand Collapse
    ®

Thanks for making that clear, I still have some catching-up to do.

Now I see what ya mean, looks like he's got enough of rope...

#386 OldSchool64, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds
    Expand Collapse
    Tewwowist

Paramilitary police teams pointing guns?

Did they search their houses in Texas too?

8. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me
    Expand Collapse
    Semper Paratus

Did they bring milk and formula in Texas is well just looking for the fair and balanced

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

But, but, they had no right to evacuate those people and control their movements and herd them like cattle

Oh the humanity and the lost rights.

What about the people who's homes are still intact? Doesn't that prove that the stormtrooper tactics were unnecessary?

Since their house wasn't blown up it proves they were in no danger.

10. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

This whole question and debate was settled adroitly with this post. It is the correct answer to the quiz.

Unfortunately it doesn't satisfy the poo flingers need to fling.

11. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

Really? Seriously? You must be extremely bored today. :dunno:

12. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC
    Expand Collapse
    10mm defender

This was not acting outside of the law to the officials on scene. These were the individuals who had the most information and had to decided whether the circumstances were exigent and what that exigency would entail.

The operation would be similar to a single property where the suspect is sure to be on the grounds or within the dwelling. The difference being time due to the scope of the operation. If it had been one property with one house (suspect known to have entered area and known not to have escaped from the area), the PC would seem obvious. In the scenario we are discussing, it is a much larger area. They must now search every space that a human can fit within that area (which happens to include many houses). They do not have the time to treat it as simply as one property, however, the suspect still poses the same threat minute by minute. Waiting for warrants and extended discussions with habitants will aid in the suspect's planning -whether evasion or causing as much harm as possible before being put down.

And again, the ones opposing these recent action can offer no solutions/alternatives without hindsight.

13. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC
    Expand Collapse
    10mm defender

Potential jurors say no but how is that? They have not meet the criteria of your first paragraph. "Facts", they don't have them yet.

14. BlisteringSilence

BlisteringSilence
    Expand Collapse
    Secret Squirrel

In this specific situation, like any specific situation, you must examine the totality of the circumstances. Based on the threat to both officer safety and public safety, would a reasonable person judge that it is reasonable that a house be emptied and searched at gunpoint?

My thought is yes. Yours might be no. And neither of us have a chance in hell of getting on a jury if we answer the questionnaire truthfully, so neither of our opinions really matter.

That's a complicated question with no simple answer. On a random Tuesday night when I'm sitting on the couch watching TV, or on a specific Wednesday night when a man who has killed several and injured hundreds, with bombs and weapons, has his last known position down the street from my house?

There is absolutely ZERO black and white here in the real world. It's nothing but gray.

As to the legality of the searches, it has been addressed ad naseaum in this thread. Please reference previous posts.

And a lot of potential jurors say yes. Regardless, if a juror has made up his or her mind before the commencement of the trial, he or she has no place on the jury. The entire goal of a jury trial is for one side to make their arguments, the other side to make their arguments, and the judge to give the jury the instructions on the law, and then let them pick which side they believe prevailed.

Regardless of which side wins, in a trial of this nature, a senior appeals court is going to end up with the whole mess dumped on it's steps, and make the decision.

15. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC
    Expand Collapse
    10mm defender

Yes, of course...the perfect world answer. What if the suspect had entered a home before the family had arrived? ...Hell, that doesn't matter, at least there was no possibility of their rights being infringed. They may die in a little while but at least they are content.:thumbsup:

16. *ASH*

*ASH*
    Expand Collapse

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

if bad guy had entered a home before family got home, whats gonna happen is gonna happen, if bad guy is determined to kill someone he will do it with no cops around or cops on the door step . thats big wide brush stroke you got .

also if badguy is in house and cop bust in who is to say the family dont get killed ? nobody .

and yes my rights along with everyone elses in not to be infringed period. im content most folks like myself can handle my own situation , i dont live in a nannie area

17. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC
    Expand Collapse
    10mm defender

I can tell by your first paragraph that you probably wouldn't do as well as you think "handling your own situation". You would probably do well to get a nanny.

Now I know this may be hard for you to grasp so I'm going to type the next part slowly for you...there are a lot of people out there that can not or do not have the capacity to handle their own. Now read the pretty colored words... It's not just about you.

18. *ASH*

*ASH*
    Expand Collapse

colors .. pretty :aodnsb::aodnsb:

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds
    Expand Collapse
    Tewwowist

There are worse things than death

Btw, it's not the perfect world answer. It's the constitutional answer.

#399 certifiedfunds, Apr 23, 2013
  20. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds
    Expand Collapse
    Tewwowist

The legality of what you want has been discussed. Sam came the closest but even his answer would require new case law and is only a theory. Most of you have proven you don't understand very simple concepts surrounding it.

You've offered nothing more than a dangerous man on the loose as justification. If this is the the case expect to see a lot more like Watertown.

#400 certifiedfunds, Apr 23, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.