close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Water storage via the water heater--Plumbers Out There?

Discussion in 'GATE Survival & Preparedness' started by glockeglock, Apr 13, 2010.

1. glockeglock

glockeglock
    Expand Collapse

#1 glockeglock, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. JC Refuge

JC Refuge
    Expand Collapse
    GT Sponsor
    Staff Member

This is a good question that calls for more expertise than I can offer. Any plumbers or engineers out there with a solution/ideas?

3. JC Refuge

JC Refuge
    Expand Collapse
    GT Sponsor
    Staff Member

Some good points here submitted by Diesel_Bomber:

I'm no expert, but I do know that the average 55 gallon drum won't handle city water pressure. It may be only 40-80psi, but there are a LOT of square inches on that barrel, and that adds up to several tons of force in short order. The pressure tank on my well is constructed a lot more like a propane tank than a 55 gallon drum Underneath the insulation, so is a water heater's tank.

Instead of a 55 gallon drum, I would look at a pressure tank similar to what is used for wells, or perhaps a second hand water heater that has a tank in good condition.

As an added bonus, the water-storage tank could be painted black and put outside in an enclosed box, with the side pointed towards the sun being glass. You'd get your water storage, and a bit of a head start for your water heater.

4. JC Refuge

JC Refuge
    Expand Collapse
    GT Sponsor
    Staff Member

Blastem! suggests ...

Perhaps 2 or more hot water heaters "in line" as storage tanks. They would not necessarily be used to heat water, just to store it. They can obviously handle the pressure.