Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Water purification by dehumidifier

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by ottomatic, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Liff

Mar 17, 2006
    Sadly, if you have a chemistry degree it was wasted.

Buffering is a function of pH, Na and Cl will not affect the pH. Other salts like calcium carbonate can adjust the pH, but there is no buffer. If you wanted a good example of a buffering system in a biological setting, please search for 'blood buffer' or something similar.

Humans have multiple blood pH buffering systems or ways of adjusting our blood's pH including how fast or slow we breathe.

As for the loss of ions in our blood, in this situation I would worry about sommething else. If someone was looking to drink this water (survival situation), then odds are that the person is eating canned food and getting plenty of sodium. Search for "renin angiotensin".

That gets a bit complicated, but at the end of the day, the body has more than one way of getting rid of excess sodium, and most of those physiological systems involve potassium retention.

So you would be drinking water low in sodium, eating food high in sodium, and conserving potassium as a result. Sounds good to me.

Filter and treat like all other water, and it is a good idea.
  2. Liff

Mar 17, 2006
    Thanks Dennis for the reference.

Page 17 has the best line from your source. "...its regular consumption may not be providing adequate levels of some beneficial nutrients."

Like Dennis says, long term may not be a good idea. I doubt anyone was thinking long term anyway.

3. ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee
    Appreciate the comments. I just realized that I should have labelled this thread: Generating water, rather than Purifying water.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013