close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Water purification by dehumidifier

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by ottomatic, Feb 5, 2013.

1. ottomatic

ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee
    We have a humidity problem in one part of the basement of our church, and we put two dehumidifiers in that area. I go to empty them about once day. I am amazed how much water they produce. They are not the same. One of them, the LG brand fills up about every 18 hours, with well over a gallon of water. I realize that for you to be able to use this concept you will need electricity and it would help if you live in a humid climate.
    Has anyone else thought about using a dehumidifier to gain access to water? Does anyone know about the quality of that waster?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

2. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    It can be used in a pinch, if clean. Keep coils clean with Isopropyl, then boil/filter the water as a precaution. GTG

3. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    That's it imo. Ust the dehumidifier as your source, but be sure to treat it as a suspect source. (This came up probably five or six years ago but was one of the topics that got lost in the "great server crash" of 2007 or whenever it was... )

I've read that the military does this very thing on a larger scale, using diesel-powered, truck-mounted dehydrators to "produce" water in some situations; but can't vouch for the truth of that.

4. Akita

Akita gone

Jul 22, 2002
    The water is fine until it touches something like the coils and container. Then you need to treat it. But Yes, good source.

5. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    Quake, I've never seen, nor have the water purification guys I asked anything like that. We have some giant water purification trucks, but as far as I know , no condenser trucks.

6. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Unless you are meticulous about keeping the innards clean... I would be suspect about the water.

7. getty_1863

getty_1863

May 18, 2005
    This is demineralized water. You can not drink demon water long term. Minerals flow from high to low concentration and will deplete your body.

8. rwrjr

rwrjr

May 25, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'd also check out the kind of plastic the catch bucket is made from. Probably not food grade. Having said that if this was the only water I had, I'd boil it and drink it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  9. R_W

R_W

Nov 8, 2007
    Also check for lead from the solder. Possiby other heavy metals, too.

10. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    :upeyes: Seriously, the water is fine. The condenser plate isn't soldered with radioactive goo, there isn't anything in the container that will hurt you, it's just water. Maybe with a little atmospheric dust mixed in. It's perfectly safe.

Why do idiots persist is spouting this retarded BS. :upeyes: Water is water. It's not some life force sucking demon fluid. Get your facts straight before you say stupid crap like this.

The simple fact is that distilled water is not a significant source of electrolytes, it doesn't suck them out of your body like a potassium Hoover. So you throw in a salt tablet or whatever and done. Or not. The average diet has plenty of minerals and electrolytes in it already.

And if you're doing a lot of work in a hot climate you need more electrolytes anyway.

So, OP. Go ahead and drink the water, it's fine.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  11. can you produce a reliable quantity of water per person/day?
    Incidental ancillary byproduct of original purpose.
    not efficient. will not likely have power source in actual need.
    Only concern of water might be some kinda Legionaire's soup
    Is collection chamber food safe material?

12. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    Good idea! I like the outside the box thinking!

The only downside would be power as others have mentioned. I'm not sure I can think of a situation where I'd have that and not running water, but it very well could happen.

13. Akita

Akita gone

Jul 22, 2002
    Because, Sherlock, BACTERIA grow. Have you ever even looked at a dehumidifier, much less emptied one on a regular basis? Smart money sez No.

14. getty_1863

getty_1863

May 18, 2005
    I guess that graduate degree in Chemistry was wasted

Demin water has zero electrolytes that is the problem. Short term yeah use it. Long term not a good idea. Throwing a salt tablet will do nothing. Adding some Na and Cl will do nothing to buffer the water.

The water will taste like crap also.

15. Bushflyr

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Smart money ain't so smart. :upeyes: I empty the one in my closet every 2-3 days. I've also drunk the water from it with no Ill effects. It tastes just like any bottled water.

See above. Tastes just like any other bottled water. :dunno:

:rofl: @ "Buffering the water"

16. Akita

Akita gone

Jul 22, 2002
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
    Joke's on me. I should know better than to try to argue on the internet!

I leave you with a classic which was on the Inturweb before you were born:

http://joke7x24.deals.lv/site/assets/49.jpg

Pay attention when Biology class rolls around in a few years.

17. Bushflyr

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    :upeyes: Dude, if you're going to try and make teh funny you need to at least be smart enough to use img tags.

But I bet your mom is so proud that her little boy made something of himself. Even if it was only a meme. :rofl:

18. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    ^ This is why I don't hang here much anymore. Perfectly good threads devolve into puerile name calling. I think there's bacteria growing in this thread.

19. dennis3dflyer

dennis3dflyer

Feb 20, 2007
    Florida
    If you google bad effects of drinking ro reverse osmosis water results show a WHO caution against drinking due to no minerials in that kind of water , distilled. , dehumidified i think are all simular as in not having minerials in them thus shorting the human bodie such over time.

But for normal people drinking for weeks , months should be ok from what i read but longer terms is a no go. And yes most people do not like the taste of demineralized water , notice how water companies add back minerials to ro or distilled water before selling it. For drinking.

Dennis

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013