close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Watch for more Mumbai style attacks

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bilbo Bagins, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
  2. Akita

Akita gone

Jul 22, 2002
    I think there's quite a few citizens waiting on them over here.

3. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
  4. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Well I sure hope that the respective governments are up for defending every major hotel in the country 24/7 because they won't have any armed civilians to help out.

5. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Jul 11, 2003
    Republic of Texas
    I'm surprised more Mumbai style attacks haven't happened to date. In some areas of the US they'd likely get stopped short, but in places like the UK where even the cops aren't well equipped for such an incident it'll be disastrous.

6. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Maybe I'm getting too apathetic in my old age or perhaps I've achieved a comfortable level of preps. I don't want to see innocent people killed, obviously. But these threats just make me :yawn:

7. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    That last time I was in London (last July) they had cops all over the place with subguns. They know how to handle terrorist attacks there.

You want to pull a Mubai attack here, go to your basic "gun free zone," a school or college/university that doesn't have armed campus police.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  8. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    Yes, and that there is funny. :rofl:Charlestown anyone?

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Well, in Los Angeles, there won't be any armed civilians but there will be a lot of LAPD coppers and they have the manpower and resources to adequately respond, just not before it is well underway.

In a smaller town with a smaller police department, then you can have a way better chance to pulling off a caper like this and get away with way more casualties.

10. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    Unless a local, who trains hard and is always prepared, puts an end to their party :whistling:

11. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    From Wikipedia (Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; no copyright issue)

Method

The attackers had planned the attack several months ahead of time and knew some areas well enough for the attackers to vanish, and reappear after security forces had left. Several sources have quoted Kasab telling the police that the group received help from Mumbai residents.[107][108] The attackers used at least three SIM cards purchased on the Indian side of the border with Bangladesh.[109] There were also reports of a SIM card purchased in the US state New Jersey.[110] Police had also mentioned that Faheem Ansari, an Indian Lashkar operative who had been arrested in February 2008, had scouted the Mumbai targets for the November attacks.[111] Later, the police arrested two Indian suspects, Mikhtar Ahmad, who is from Srinagar in Kashmir, and Tausif Rehman, a resident of Kolkata. They supplied the SIM cards, one in Calcutta, and the other in New Delhi.[112]

Type 86 Grenades made by China's state-owned Norinco were used in the attacks.[113]

Blood tests on the attackers indicate that they had taken cocaine and LSD during the attacks, to sustain their energy and stay awake for 50 hours. Police say that they found syringes on the scenes of the attacks. There were also indications that they had been taking steroids.[114] The gunman who survived said that the attackers had used Google Earth to familiarise themselves with the locations of buildings used in the attacks.[115]

There were ten gunmen, nine of whom were subsequently shot dead and one captured by security forces.[116][117] Witnesses reported that they looked to be in their early twenties, wore black t-shirts and jeans, and that they smiled and looked happy as they shot their victims.[118]

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Rambo?

13. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    They're all dead Johnny.

14. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    +1

I've said the same about IED's and roadside bombs with no real argument from anyone except..."the bad guys get here, turn out to like our way of life, and then change their minds". :upeyes:

As far as hotel shootings and such, this is why I ALWAYS have my Draco in my GHB. It helps turn cover into concealment. Plus a couple armed with at least 9mm's would be a nightmare for mass shooters...armed with shotguns even moreso. But I refuse to pay $600+ for Serbu's just on principle.

As stated earlier, college campuses are plump and juicy targets for terrorists. It would be fairly easy to bomb/shoot up one. Again, no clue why there aren't such attacks going on. All that's needed is a gun and some ammo along with a true hatred for our way of life and there seems to be entire countries filled with such people. I certainly do not WANT it to happen mind you but why it hasn't happened is baffling. :dunno:

-Emt1581

15. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I agree. I know the enemy measures time different than we do. If a victory takes centuries, they don't see that as a problem. However I would just think there are so many easy or soft targets that require little money or planning to be effective.

16. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Exactly. Winning by attrition is one thing but it's almost like they are either wussing out or waiting for a higher power to do it for them through disease, natural disaster, etc...

-Emt1581

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Rambo, John McClain, Master Chief Casey Ryback, and that annoying Kid from Home Alone are all nice Hollywood fiction, but the lone hero that takes on a whole determined team of baddies is not likely to fare too well in the real world without a high degree of skill and a lot of luck.

What do you guys carry EDC? I am not loaded for bear when I am not working. I used to carry a lot more but lately, I have lightened my off duty carry to a pocket pistol with 7+1 9mm in the gun and a 7 round reload. Hardly enough to take on a team of terrorists wielding AK-47's and even shotguns unless I cannabalize and take guns off each dead bad guy.

You really expect some lone local off duty cop or even on duty cop to take on a massive attack such as that in Mumbai with multiple locations and multiple teams with assault rifles and explosives?

He might take a few bastards with him but killing all of them and putting an end to the whole fight is unlikely.

18. I could be in trouble when/if they start targeting Super 8. :upeyes:

19. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    Yeah, it turns out that non ninja/specops/swat/leo/whatevercoolfantasy dudes can kill badguys too, they just have to train for what comes their way. In fact, there are actually places now where lowly civilians can go to learn how to do dangerous things to bad people :shocked:

http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/