close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

was this a legal search?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by knoxvegasdaddy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. TheSorb

TheSorb
    Expand Collapse

That's some unbelievable (& frightening) arrogance and ignorance you're demonstrating...I NEVER made any such comparison. And I have the utmost respect for American law enforcement personnel who acknowledge my rights AND uphold the Constitution of the United States - THE SUPREME LAW OF THIS LAND!!!

My comments were directed at someone who implied that the end (catching the alleged criminal) somehow justified the means (illegally detaining & handcuffing numerous persons for whom law enforcement had absolutely no probable cause to do so). Now if you are unable to make that mental connection, that's YOUR problem. Don't blame me and resort to immature name calling just because, evidently, you are unable to read and understand my comments. :upeyes:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop
    Expand Collapse

That'd be a comparison right there, chief.

You can paint it any way that you wish, we all know what you were implying. I wasn't the only one who saw it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop
    Expand Collapse

Read up a little more. You don't need PC to detain. Only reasonable suspicion. I'm sure those officers could articulate the RS pretty easily.

How come youre crying about it, but the 19 or so folks who were detained aren't?

4. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

U not bad. U just typical ignorant.

5. TheSorb

TheSorb
    Expand Collapse

I am STUNNED...never thought I'd face such hateful opposition on GT while defending the Constitution of the United States...:dunno:

6. Kaybe

Kaybe
    Expand Collapse

Your freedom got taken away in the hopes of finding someone ELSE!? Most LEO's that say that this is okay probably would have a royal fit if they got cuffed, no matter how many times the LEO said,"Check my wallet!! I'm an officer!!" as he was cuffed anyway. This was wrong. Too many times the cuffs and taser come out in the name of safety. "I'm cuffing you for my own safety, while i write the jay walking ticket." I understand that it was a bank robber. I understand that weapons were involved. But denying freedom just because you are in the area, not good, not legal- in my opinion.

7. TheSorb

TheSorb
    Expand Collapse

THIS!!!:agree:

8. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

All of the discussion on this topic is occuring in another thread, replete with case law and much more logical discussion. It's linked at least twice in this one.

9. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

Maybe because we actually have training in the LAW, and what it ACTUALLY means, as opposed to what you WANT it to mean.

10. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if serious?

Defending something on the Internet won't get ya too far, pal.

Maybe there's an occupy movement you can hop into??

[​IMG]

11. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop
    Expand Collapse

Opinions are like buttholes....

I'm glad we have case law and other jurisprudence to back up what we do. Even though the majority of you refuse to read any of it and not budge off your "this is my constitutional freesom" pedestal long enough to truly see that you're blabbing about.

12. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

TheSorb, your posts illustrate a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the law, both legislated and case law, that governs actions by law enforcement.
    Please join the discussions already going in Political Issues, Cop Talk and especially the one in Civil Liberties Issues, and, based on your posts, Civil Liberties Issues is the most appropriate forum.

Thank you...

13. TheSorb

TheSorb
    Expand Collapse

I believe I have a decent working knowledge & understanding of the law, both legislated and case law, that governs actions by law enforcement-though I'm certainly no expert/scholar. I just believe that much of it is wrong and anti-Constitutional. So please don't mistake a different perspective as ignorance. Thank you.

I'll stop posting on this thread, as requested.

14. Kaybe

Kaybe
    Expand Collapse

Ohio Copper, it appears that you and so many other LEO's believe that no matter what, the officer is supreme, right and always in charge. You see the citizens are nothing more than stupid sheep to taze or cuff when ever it is convenient. Those of us on the "constitutional pedestal" see that document as our protection against wreckless powers and abuses. Without the checks, there is no balance. You will understand when your badge is gone and you no longer have the "professional courtesy" going in your favor, but not until. I understand the LE job. I have made my traffic stops, put the cuffs on bad guys. and so on. But you see officers doing anything if it justifies the means; Constitution be damned. When you are on the other side and some bully with a badge decides that today is your day, you will see. The rule of law and the restraints on those in power need to constantly guarded. We don't need the sheepdogs turning wolf.

15. TheExplorer

TheExplorer
    Expand Collapse

Disturbing is the best way to describe the situation. Blocking off the road, maybe. Handcuffing, far and beyond what I would expect from LE in the US.

16. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop
    Expand Collapse

Cool.

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

I see we have a new crop in...

18. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

Seems so...

19. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop
    Expand Collapse

Different usernames, same diahrrea of the mouth.

20. Hack

Hack
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy CO
    Gold Member

:popcorn: Leaving a few bowls full. Bring your own beer.:beer:

People in large part don't look at case law most of the time, (personal opinion), because the perspective is that it is a lot to look at. Indeed it is.

In order to understand how things work in this country, and in state governments you have to go beyond looking at written law to case law. Case law generally is the application of the written law as interpreted by the judiciary, which I think most law enforcement officers understand because it is their livelihood. So, I am guessing it is up to those of us involved in law enforcement to explain that in the kindlier environment of a forum, and for those of us ambitious enough to do so, to go ahead and post a link or two to some applicable case law, or to where they can find applicable case law so that they can thoroughly understand what it is they are upset against; have concerns about.

Other than that, if people seek a change in the laws concerned with they need to address this to their congress, individually or as a group in order to facilitate such changes; and to exercise the power of the vote to usher in to office those sympathetic to their concerns.