close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Was Jesus taught by the Jews

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by achysklic, May 6, 2011.

1. achysklic

achysklic

Jan 26, 2009
    Alot of confusion seems to center around the fact that since Jesus was born a Jew he partook of and was taught by the Jews.

How many believe this?
    If so why supporting facts?

2. John 17:8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have recieved them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.

Surely Jesus mother and father were Jews, but he did not receive formal education from the Jews. Letters refers to training usually received by formal schooling.

John 7:15 And the Jews marveled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?

Last edited: May 6, 2011

3. The Essenes.

4. Brasso

Brasso Millennium Member

It was fairly common for all Jews to have about memorized the Torah by the time they were adults. Besides, He was a Jew. He partook of the usual Feast Days, Sabbath, and obeyed the commandments. And, He was the son of YHWH after all. He was the Living Torah.

5. achysklic

achysklic

Jan 26, 2009
    The Essenes could not have taught him, since Jesus throughout the gospels strongly denounced the jews.JOHN 7:15 shows the jews asked how Jesus knew the books but was never schooled.

ISaIAH prophesied of Jesus being taught by God the Father.

HOW could the jews not know this?

6. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
    Jesus had spent time in Egypt. We have no record of many of his years or where he spent them. He could well have learned things elsewhere. For instance, that "turn the other cheek" stuff that didn't fit in with the local traditions might have been derived from spending time in a Buddhist area.

7. AlexHassin

AlexHassin

Dec 15, 2010
    Taiwan
    Just because you learned from someone does not mean you like them. I attended a catholic school for a while. Does not mean I agree with them in any sense at all. oww catholic school girls, those where the days

8. bandmasterjf

bandmasterjf

Aug 26, 2009

John 1 <SUP id=en-NIV-26046 class=versenum>1</SUP> In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

It seems pretty presumptuous that anyone could teach The Word of God about the Word of God.:dunno:
    <TABLE class=grid border=0 summary="This table summarizes your payment" width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=gridvalue><TD noWrap>
    <TABLE class=grid border=0 summary="This table summarizes your payment" width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=gridvalue><TD noWrap>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

9. Pretty much sums it up. Good, scratch that, GREAT post.

10. Only John denounced the Jews. the other three Gospels do not. This makes more sense since all of the original Christians were Jews.

The Essene practiced daily baptism and felt their mission was to "make straight the way of the Lord" (i.e., prepare for the coming of the Messiah). they practiced poverty and absence from worldly pleasures, including marriage. Every day they prayed for the Lord to give them their daily bread.

How do you explain the following verses?

19:30 saying to them, "Go into the village facing you. On entering it you will find an ass's foal tied up which no one has ever yet ridden: untie it, and bring it here.
    19:31 And if any one asks you, `Why are you untying the colt?' simply say, `The Master needs it.'"

Luke 22:10 "You will no sooner have entered the city," He replied, "than you will meet a man carrying a pitcher of water. Follow him into the house to which he goes,

11. FifthFreedom

FifthFreedom

Jul 6, 2005
    Pa
    Assuming he existed, he would have been taught more than likely by his parents since it is one of the 613 commandments. We are to teach the words of Torah to our children. Since his parents would have been Jewish, they had that obligation. Had they not, they would have been in transgression.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  12. Toorop

Toorop

Apr 28, 2010
    The Midwest.
    He was also punished by them because he blasphemed their religion. So they nailed him to a 2x4 and had themselves a crucifixion.

Reminds me of the ol' West when people had themselves a lynchin'.

13. FifthFreedom

FifthFreedom

Jul 6, 2005
    Pa

who is "them"?
    The romans? Those are the ones who killed him. "Blaspheming Judaism is not a capitol offense under Jewish Law in any case..try getting your facts straight.

14. Yes, His parents had that obligation as do all parents have an obligation to teach their children. Yet, all things are hardly dependent upon what men can or may do.

The Father had the obligation also to teach His Son through the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, this is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

15. hannielonline

hannielonline

Nov 28, 2010

Let me gain some understanding, His earthly mother and father were both Hebrews. He was born a Jew by birth. His upbringing was Jewish culture surrounded by Romans who allowed conquered culture to retain their identity. I would say He was taught and kept the Torah.

16. Not to mention that being the Logos would bestow certain advantages.

17. achysklic

achysklic

Jan 26, 2009
    In john 8 Jesus plainly tells us that The Father was the one whom taught him. The Rabbis knew he wasn't taught by the Jews or scholars of the day.

John 8:<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-26408">26</sup>I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him. <sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-26409">27</sup>They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.
    <sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-26410">28</sup>Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

18. FifthFreedom

FifthFreedom

Jul 6, 2005
    Pa

Well here is is referring to himself as "BenAdam"

never claimed he was literally the The son of G-d. Lest he would not refer to himself in such a manner.

19. achysklic

achysklic

Jan 26, 2009
    Jesus always referred to Himself as BenAdam or son of Adam. But did you also read on in that verse where he states His Father (God) taught him?

I have a quick question, who is the" US " in the book of Gen. referring to?