close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Warning! Kershaw knife considered switchblade?

Discussion in 'Michigan Glockers' started by Tito, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Tito

Tito

Jun 3, 2003
    Michigan
    Kershaw "Ken Onion" series knives utilize the "Speed Safe" system which incorporates a "tortion bar" that acts as a spring to assist opening. Kershaw is advertising that these are not switch blades and they are widely available in retail stores (so I'm told).

At least one Michigan District Court Judge from Oakland County has ruled they are not switch blades.

At least one Michigan District Court Judge from Ottawa County has ruled that the are switch blades. (BTW dude used it to slice up a bunch of car tires).

I'm not here to give legal advice, or participate in an argument about whether they should be legal or not (you guys can do that if you want), just to say be careful!

Edit: Here is what the statute says, it is a 1 year misdemeanor:

§ 750.226a. Pocket knife opened by mechanical device; unlawful sale or possession; persons exempted.

Sec. 226a. Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or any person who shall have in his possession any knife having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or blades of which can be opened by the flick of a button, pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not to exceed 1 year or by a fine of not to exceed $300.00, or both.The provisions of this section shall not apply to any one-armed person carrying a knife on his person in connection with his living requirements.

2. ZIPGRAVER

ZIPGRAVER Glock Engraver

Jun 23, 2002
    FERNLEY, NV
    I believe that law outlaws a knife that has the blade COMPLETELY opened by spring pressure. The onion knives aren't supposed to open all the way. You still must flick your wrist to finish the opening. However something is amiss because I just engraved one of those for a police cheif in FL and that sucker definitely snapped all the way open when I pushed the button.:shocked:

3. Do you have a link for these so-called decisions...?

4. Tito

Tito

Jun 3, 2003
    Michigan
    No one publishes district court opinions.

5. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao Red White Blue

Sep 18, 2003
    Southeast Michigan
    Is this one of those things that you really only need to worry about if you're out on the town with unlawful intent?

6. RS2

RS2

Jun 8, 2003
    Michigan

No, not really. If the Kershaw were considered a switchblade, mere possession would be illegal, even in your own home, irrespective of intent.

The statutory definition, though, might be argued to refer to a mechanical opening other than pressure on the blade itself, which is how the Kershaws work.

7. frostee

frostee

Nov 2, 2005
    MI
  8. Alpha Male

Alpha Male Millennium Member

May 16, 1999
    "At least one Michigan District Court Judge from Oakland County has ruled they are not switch blades."

The case in question happened in Waterford Township. Kershaw supplied expert statements. The judge ruled accordingly. You may contact Kershaw or do your own legwork at the courthouse for additional details.