close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Wanting to reload 45 GAP rounds need some help

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Outer Rondacker, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Outer Rondacker

Outer Rondacker

Dec 28, 2011
    Hi I am new to Glock Talk. I have read many of the posts here and spend a large amount of time reading befor I decided to join up. I am looking to reload 45 GAP rounds and there does not seam to much info out there. If anyone has experience doing this round I would like some advice. Keep in mind I am new to reloading in general. I have found a RCBS Rock Chucker press with powder chager, scale and a few sets of dies. 45 long colt 357, and a bunch of other things for 120 bucks. Not sure if I should do this or get a new one but I figured keep it cheap at first and see if I even like doing this. The rounds would be shot out of a Glock 37. If you are reloading this round and would not mind tossing some info this way to help a newb out that would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Assuming all that stuff is RCBS, and is in pretty good shape, that's a pretty good deal. The RCBS Rock Chucker is generally considered one of the better single stage presses. On a single stage, once you're in the groove, you'll probably do about 75-100rds an hour. So the other question is, how much do you shoot? (keep in mind, you'll shoot more once you start reloading)...

You might consider reading Colorado4Wheel's sticky and see if you can glean some info from there..

Good luck

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

3. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    It is an easy caliber to reload.

Stick with 185-200 gn bullets. Jacketed if you can afford it.

4. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Reloading it won't be any different that reloading any of the other pistol caliber stuff. Same exact process. All you'll need to determine is the bullet choice, then an appropriate powder and load. I'd advise going with a powder that fills the case as much as possible while you're learning.

5. meleors

meleors Cranky Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Here
    Yep. You definitely need help. Anyone who chooses 45gap needs help. :whistling:

Just Kidding. :tongueout: Good luck, stay safe and welcome to Glock Talk!

6. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    This whole reloading thing is really about volume. How much do you plan to shoot?

Thinking in terms of only bulk pistol reloading here's how I see it:

If you shoot a thousand rounds per year or less, reloading probably isn't worth the hassle. You're going to produce ammo for about 1/2 the cost of store-bought so if you buy Federal Champion at $360/1000 the most you will save is $180 per year. Your first year savings will get eaten up just getting started.

The good news is that 1000 rounds per year is doable on a single stage press. Boring and tedious to be sure, but doable.

If you shoot a few thousand rounds per year, you could get the savings up into the $1000/year range (what an insane amount of money to spend on ammo!). But you almost certainly don't want to load this volume on a single stage press. The savings are so significant that you can avoid the single stage purchase and just move on to a progressive press of some kind. If you are going to load just one caliber, the Dillon Square Deal might be an economic alternative although the higher end machines like the 550B and XL650 are more flexible and would be better choices. But none of them sell for $120 either.

Reloading bulk pistol on a single stage press is grim. You MIGHT get 100 rounds per hour or you might not. In my view, it is frustrating beyond endurance. I suppose that is why I only did it for a week or so before I moved to a faster press.

I do use a single stage press for precision rifle reloading. But 50 rounds of high quality rifle ammo might last a while. Fifty rounds of pistol ammo is gone in a few minutes. A good single stage press is a nice thing to have around. I have two versions of RCBS single stage presses - but I don't load pistol on either one.

So, how much do you plan to shoot?

Richard

7. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    Here is a video on the very basics of reloading. I really enjoy Hickok45's shooting videos and now I see he has a few about reloading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irC3NuIKDm4&feature=relmfu

I haven't actually watched the entire video but then I have been reloading for a very long time. The lead-in shows the entire process from picking up the brass to placing a reloaded shell in a magazine.

Richard

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Part of your "not liking it", might be due to how much work it will take to make 100 rounds. As somebody else said... with a single stage it might take close to an hour to make 100 rounds.

With my 650, 100 rounds is doable in 5 minutes.

If you're not shooting much, a single stage is the way to go. I got into reloading because I was shooting competitively, was practicing alot, and needed ammo. A progressive is the way to go if you want to *produce* ammo, not just spend time reloading.

9. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

Jun 22, 2008
    MO
    You can get some load information here. http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I loaded a few thousand GAP rounds when I had a G39. I found that 185g jacketed bullets and Hodgdon Universal made for a nice shooting load with reasonable velocity. W231/HP38 and 185g jacketed bullets worked fine for target shooting with mid power loads. I could not get 200g bullets to come anywhere near published velocities without signs of overpressure. This occured before reaching maximum published loads of various powders. I stuck with the 185g bullets. I no longer own any GAP caliber pistols and I lost the reloading records so I can't be more specific.

10. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I totally agree... That quote belongs in a signature line!

Richard

11. Outer Rondacker

Outer Rondacker

Dec 28, 2011
    Wow I belong to many different forums for many different things and I hardly ever get great response like this. I would like to say thanks for replying. Well I have not brought home the 45 gap yet due to the wait in my area but I will say this I shot alot. I have a rifle that shoots 45 acp so I would reload this aswell. I didnt see anyone recomend a Hornady LNL AP is that becuase there no good or just not liked or what. I have not watched the links yet but will do so now. Thanks again to eveyone who responded.

12. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    How come you didn't spend the extra two bucks and get the rest of the caliber? :whistling:

Jack

13. sig357fan

sig357fan

Apr 8, 2008
    SW OH

well....it's official……if Jack takes a poke at ya, your part of the crew!

Welcome to the best (imho) reloading forum known to modern man!

sig357fan

14. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't get the sense that the LNL AP is highly regarded on this forum. It could be that once you get to that price range, the Dillon 550B or XL650 are just considered better equipment.

For the case of the Dillon 550, the caliber change kit and the dies are identical between .45 GAP and .45 ACP. So, at most, the bullet seating die and the powder measure need to be adjusted when changing between them. Pretty simple.

You talked about shooting a lot. There is every good reason to consider the 550B but there might be an even better reason to consider moving to the XL650 with the case feeder. With that press and case feeder, you are reloading in a hurry - probably on the order of 1000 rounds per hour. You can start out without the case feeder and probably still load around 600 rounds per hour.

Whether these progressive presses are reasonable is totally a function of volume.

Richard

15. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    A Rock Chucker, two die sets, and a powder measure for $120 is a great deal even if you do get a progressive down the line. Basically, you'd be crazy not to get it.

16. Outer Rondacker

Outer Rondacker

Dec 28, 2011
    Anyone know of the 45 long colt dies will work for 45 gap reloading? I have looked at the dillon 650 and have to say it looks nice but you have to auto index it so add putting in empty shells and bullets with the indexing I cant see where this is very productive. When I think of progessive I think of auto indexing. Sorry just how I see it. Oh and Jack thanks for the welcome I came across the Gap round by chance and the price was rite for the gun. Or atleast I think so. Shoots really nice too as well as fitting my hand well.

17. dbarry

dbarry Silver Member

Feb 15, 2010
    the Buckeye state
    I've got the G37. Love the round. I've got a 1911 too and love that platform too. Opinions on this are why forums like this were invented so let the fun begin...

Anyway, as you know, there is meager published reloading data for the GAP, compared to the ACP. I've used ACP data to create GAP loads and have not had any problems. (though this experimentation has been limited to two powders and three bullets: Bullesye & Trailboss, 185 HBRN berry's, 200 gr berry's, and 230 RN lead)

Yes, you can get enough trailboss in a 185gr Berry's HBRN (without compressing it) to cycle a G37 slide. Very nice soft shooting GSSF target round.

I'll have to get my data out, but about four and a half grains of BE works nicely with all three bullets in the G37, so that is my favorite powder for the GAP (and nearly every other pistol round I load). It gets a bad rap for KB's, but not the powder's fault. If you reload whilst distracted (bad idea), I recommend the other (trail boss) in that I dont think you can KB a gun with that.

Anyway - if you don't have a hand like hulk hogan and you have the wonderful glock platform, the GAP is awesome because the shorter case allows for smaller hands to accurately put smaller groups into targets or BG's.

If you want more info on reloading the gap, my second favorite glocktalk forum is: http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

It doesn't have the likes of GioaJack or WiskyT but I'm hoping to hit the lottery someday and buy those guys a G37.

Happy Friday and Happy New Year!

18. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    No, the 650 has auto indexing. It's the 550 where you have to manually index. The 550 is still WAY faster than the single stage you're looking at. With my 550, I could load 100 rounds in 10 minutes. But you have to have plenty of practice to get that time, and for me it takes too much focus.... I hate having to let go of the handle to insert a new piece of brass.

I just setup my 650 with casefeeder... just pull the handle and put a bullet on top of the charged case with left hand.... way easier.

19. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    According to the Dillon website, .45 GAP/ACP is one set of dies, .45 Colt is another. It's the same story for RCBS and Hornady so I suspect they aren't at all alike.

Richard