Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Wanting to be a Firefighter but have another career...

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by ChopperEd, Nov 14, 2006.

1. ChopperEd

Apr 3, 2005
    500ft. AGL
    Hi guys. Ever since I was young I've wanted to be a pilot and a firefighter. In high school and after, the opprotunity came for me to pick the pilot route and right now I'm 23 and working as a flight instructor helicopter pilot.
    Now, one of our students is a local fireman and is at the tail end of his training to be a flight instructor. I was talking to him about my interest in becoming a fireman and he told me that the local fire depts in the area would have a huge need in the coming year and told me to give it a shot to do both.
    Now the question is, how many of you hold a second career or job in your spare time. As a flight instructor I've spent a considerable amount of money on training and just at the beginning of my career. On the other hand,becoming a firefighter and working for a municipality and having a career in public service,security, and benefits and working as a pilot on the spare time.
    What do you guys think?
  2. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Apr 3, 2005
    Where are you living right now?

3. k9medic

Sep 16, 2000
    at an LZ near you

I worked the 24/48 rotation on a truck and did CFI work as well for about a year. I basically worked 13 days in a row, and didn't have much to show for it at the end of the day. After i figured out what I wanted to do in life, I focused all of my energy on flying.

You have to decide on what you really want to do in life. When I was 23, I already had 5 years in as either a police officer or FF. I made the big choice at 26 and have not looked back since.

FWIW, i currently fly EMS so I'm just driving a different ambulance now :supergrin:
  4. Pyro

Oct 25, 2006
    We work 24 on 48 off on my department, basically 10 shifts a month. Many guys have part time jobs and/or businesses.
  5. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Apr 3, 2005
  6. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

I work the 48/96 at my FD and a few shifts each month on a Hospital based ALS service. I also work as a reserve Police Officer and keep passing on the paid part time positions that open. I make more as a medic than the cops do.