close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Wanting a 5" 1911...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by beaversgs, Feb 21, 2012.

1. beaversgs

beaversgs

Dec 3, 2001
    Boone, NC
    Starting to shop around for 5" 1911's. Want a blue/black gun. Can't decide if I want a rail or not. Here's my short list. Not a fan of MIM parts since I had a MIM trigger on my carry revolver crack and randomly lock the trigger back after firing until you shook it loose. So:

Rail:
    Colt Rail Gun
    Kimber TLE
    SIG Tac
    RIA

Non Rail:
    Colt XSE
    SA Loaded or RO
    Kimber TLE or Custom II
    SIG

Prefer US made guns and the only reason I'm even considering the RIA is the rail gun in my local shop is @$600 and has as good if not a better trigger than the SA's and Colts I tried. I've also been told that the Colt has more plastic parts than the RIA. I've had a 4" Colt 1991 A1 Combat Commander that was a jam-0-matic and a Kimber Pro Carry I that had "issues". My 3" Kimber Ultra Carry was super reliable, but difficult to shoot fast and accurate given its size and weight.

Love to hear input from folks who own any of those above or other suggestions. Ruger and S&W E series aren't listed primarily because they don't make a blue/black one yet:)

Thanks,

GregB

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    You forgot to add Springfield Operator at the top of your "Rail" list.

[​IMG]

:cool:

3. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

Feb 10, 2001
    Beyond the beyond
    We own a full rail RIA and have been very well pleased with it so far. Like the one you examined, the trigger on ours is excellent. For the price, you can scarcely do better.

We trudge on.

4. Almost all production firearms these days are going to have some MIM parts in them. Unless you do a custom build from the ground up with non-MIM parts spec'd your going to get some.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  7. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    All of the guns in the list use MIM parts. The cheapest option I know of that doesn't use MIM in the critical areas (fire control parts) is the STI Trojan at $1,000.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    If you want another option for non-rail model then consider the offerings from ATI. Their guns are made by SAM of the Phillipines - much nicer than RIA offerings.

BTW, Colt M1991A1s were and are not very good representations of the marque. They were baseline models back in the days. The XSE is pretty decent if you can live with the ambidextrous safety, front slide serration and a bunch of unnecessary geegaws that are so de rigueur nowadays. I wanted a Lightweight Commander and the only gun that was available at that time was the XSE Lightweight Commander. So instead of waiting for a used gun to come in, I bought it. Changed out the ambi safety for the left side safety, steel mainspring housing for the stock plastic housing and a 10-8 rear sight for the factory Novak rear. Nothing wrong with Novak sight design, in this gun it just happened to shoot 3" low.

9. kansasboy91

kansasboy91 Your Opinion

Feb 2, 2012
    Kansas
  10. beaversgs

beaversgs

Dec 3, 2001
    Boone, NC
    I checked out the ATI and the trigger wasn't as good as the RIA, IMHO, also haven't seen a railed ATI yet. The only reason I'd buy the RIA is if I can get my head/heart around a quality imported 1911 to save @$200-$300. As for the Operator, love it, but it's two tone, a non starter for me at that price. Same with the Ruger, I don't want to pay @$700 and then have to have it coated to make it black like it should have been in the first place:)

GregB

11. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    They come in all Black.
    [​IMG]

:supergrin:

(In case you change your mind and want to spend a little more.)

12. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    I agree. Of what you listed the Sig gets my nod.

I would also look more into Springfield also.

How much do you want to spend? TRP?

13. Colt only uses around 2-3 MIM parts...unlike some of the others on that list. They are all internal small parts.

- brickboy240

14. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Here are a few suggestions:

Desert Eagle 1911-G
    [​IMG]

Remington 1911-R1
    [​IMG]

Remington 1911-R1 Enhanced
    [​IMG]

Kimber Custom II
    [​IMG]

RIA Tactical
    [​IMG]

and if you like the old school look, here is a blued Cimarron Arms 1911
    [​IMG]

15. beaversgs

beaversgs

Dec 3, 2001
    Boone, NC
    Not looking to spend TRP or Operator money. If I'm spending $1K or more on something that goes "bang" at this point in my life, it'll more than likely be .308 and have a stock:)

I handled the SIG TacOps, SA Range Officer, SA Loaded, Kimber Custom II, and the Remington Enhanced yesterday. Both the SA's and the Kimber, required that I drop the mag to drop the slide, they were that tight. The SIG and the Remington Enhanced were both nice and I liked the "feel" of both of them. The SA's biggest selling point for me is the "gear" pack. I could buy one more mag and be set for IDPA, so that figures into the price. The SIG is the best deal, comes with a decent holster and I think 4 mags. Local prices:

SA Loaded $829
    SA RO $839
    Kimber Custom II $799
    RIA Rail $589
    R1 Enhanced $829
    Sig TACOPS $869

I know I can probably get 'em cheaper elsewhere. What do you think? Also, seeing a used Doublestar Rail gun for @$1K...

Thanks,

GregB

16. majette

majette

May 1, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    if the loaded is a NM serial go for it. other than that, get the doublestar.

17. gocubs6

gocubs6

Aug 16, 2010
    Id take the RO or RIA Rail on that list.

18. Feanor

Feanor

Feb 28, 2010

Colt would be my first choice, Dan Wesson or SA my second.

19. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Kimber TLE is the tops on your list. Personally, and I'm a big Kimber fan, I'd go Valor or TRP.