close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WANTED:40 caliber round to change BG's Channel

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Coffee Dog, Jun 17, 2013.

1. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    great recommendations. you need a bullet to support your defensive load. to practice, competition, and small game hunting. I really like the Berry's plated 40 cal flat point. come in a box of 1K. with a little work you can get it shooting to the same point of aim your defensive load is.

you can tell from the slide that the Sig has gone thru a lot of bullets. I am one my sixth box of Berry's bullets.

the defensive loads are too expensive to shoot a lot of. I do like to shoot though.

[​IMG]

2. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    good field bullet.

[​IMG]

3. cbird77

cbird77

Dec 20, 2012
    The Woodlands
    :thumbsup: Thats what I carry daily.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  4. JTSmith

JTSmith Œgfdrïńëçł

Mar 22, 2008
    Albany, GA
    Count another for the 180 HST. I also picked up some of the brass cased 155 HST back when SGAmmo had it for $18 for 50. That stuff is way too hot for me. Trying to shoot it weak handed resulted in very slow follow up shots.

My second choice is the 165gr Gold Dot. You can never go wrong with the old tried and true GD's.

5. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

That's what the chicks & the runts in the Gov't said. They're in the wrong line of work. Personally, I love it & can shoot it all day. Then again, I hold my socks up with thumbtacks & use rubbing alcohol for aftershave. :supergrin:

6. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I prefer the 165 grain bullets that are loaded to around the 1,150 fps mark from a 4" barrel. They are what have the best street track record, even if it is by a narrow margin.

These days, there are alot of really good choices in 155 and 180 grains too so don't over look those!

Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T-Series, or Federal HST are the only three SD rounds that I will ever have loaded in any of my handguns FWIW.

7. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

I would add that while the XTP isn't the most high tech bullet, the penetration is great and the Hornady XTP lineup is a good choice too, either the 180gr or 155gr. Their 165gr critical defense isn't too bad either.

Also not hardly mentioned is the 135gr JHP from CorBon. Its one of those loads that many skip over but is more effective than people think, even on deer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

8. JTSmith

JTSmith Œgfdrïńëçł

Mar 22, 2008
    Albany, GA
    Didn't say I could or couldn't shoot it for x amount of time. Just said it's hard to control when shooting weak hand.

Dealing with more recoil than necessary is ridiculous when you're dealing with a handgun. They're already harder to shoot than rifles and increasing the felt recoil still doesn't put the handgun anywhere near the power of the rifle.

9. Coffee Dog

Coffee Dog

Feb 12, 2007
    East Coast
    Doe's anyone on this thread know who has Speer Gold Dot
    40 caliber 180gr. jhp in stock?:wavey:

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Hey amigo. I wish I had an answer for you, as I would like to have some (GD's) for the 10mm. I don't use it much any more, but I would still like to have some 180 GD's to load up with.

I don't have a clue where there are factory loading or bullets to "reload" (what i am looking for) for the .40 in GD's.

I went into Dallas last weekend for the largest gun show they have. Could not find any LPP's, or bullets (for reloading) or Powder !

Fear, and all the panic buyer's are screwing everything up !

Good luck to ya, and if ya find a source, let me know pard.

BTW... I am using ALL cast. HC (hard Cast) from my friend who owns and operates Hunters Supply HC company.

I like them any way (the HC) but at least I always have something to shoot with them, and cost is very cheap, for a very high quality bullet...

I know, this is NOT what your looking for for SD, but for shooting, and yes, from a Glock barrel, I have been shooting HC bullet for over 14 years in all calibers without ONE problem of any kind, and tremendous accuracy in all caliber Glocks with HC bullets. Just a 'suggestion' and thought for ya amigo, until you find what ya want ! ;)

Good luck.
    God Bless.

CanyonMan

11. cbird77

cbird77

Dec 20, 2012
    The Woodlands
    Looks like ammunitiondepot has 165gr. in stock.

12. copo9560

copo9560

Feb 21, 2012
    Look up Underwood Ammo, very popular with 10mm fans but they carry a lot of other rounds as well. About $30 for a box of 50 (plus shipping) is a good price too.

Technical Information
    • Caliber: 40 S&W
    • Bullet Weight: 165 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Speer Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point
    • Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
    • Muzzle Velocity: 1200 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 528 ft. lbs

13. chargingzebra

chargingzebra

Sep 15, 2012
  14. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles

15. In the .40 S&W I agree. Get a JHP from a major manufacturer and work on your shot placement.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

16. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

Jun 5, 2009
    USA
    Like from Sirius XM
    37 Octane
    to
    64 Gospel

:dunno:

17. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    I like Gold dots in 180gr. But most hollow points in .40 S&W should be fine.

18. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Jun 17, 2007
    Alabama
    My dept issues Hornady Critical Duty.

19. clarkz71

clarkz71

Aug 24, 2012
    South Florida
    I shoot 165gr Golden Saber, recoil isn't bad.

20. bdcremer

bdcremer The No SpinZone

Apr 8, 2005
    Metro Atlanta, GA
    I stray a little from the majority. I carry the Corbon DPX 140 grain moving @ 1200-1250 fps. I like the all copper bullet and the hardness (not density) of the copper really helps with hard barrier penetration.

There really isn't a bad .40 S&W cartridge.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire