close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

WANTED:40 caliber round to change BG's Channel

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Coffee Dog, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Coffee Dog

Coffee Dog

Feb 12, 2007
    East Coast
    Believe me I know there's no Magic bullet but
    what brand & weight 40 caliber round do you carry with the proper shot placement would give you the potential to change a BG's channel --long enough to buy you time for follow up shots to survive a lethal encounter? This round will be used for self-defense. Thanks for the information. :fishing:

2. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    While no round can guarantee a "channel change", the Winchester Ranger Talon 180 gr. JHP is a very good option.

3. Coffee Dog

Coffee Dog

Feb 12, 2007
    East Coast
    Thank-you Sir for your suggestion.:wavey:

4. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

It's hard to find a bad choice really, but I would generally opt for a 165gr or 180gr:

Winchester Ranger T
    Federal HST
    Winchester PDX1
    Speer Gold Dot
    Remington Golden Sabre

Some of those have a 155gr version that will put a BG down too for a nice dirt nap.

5. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge "The Sarge"

Feb 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
  6. Coffee Dog

Coffee Dog

Feb 12, 2007
    East Coast
    I'll have to check out the brands you recommended.
    Many thanks. :scale:

7. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger T's are the top two on my list. I prefer 180gr, but 165gr works fine too.

8. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    It doesn't get much better than 180gr HST, in my opinion.

9. Arnold Kuhl

Arnold Kuhl

Apr 15, 2013
    NE Tennessee
    I was in a local shop this morning, looking for some .45ACP Federal HST. Just wanted to see what the price is; not necessarily ready to buy any right now. Lately been hearing how great this stuff is for SD/HD.

They didn't have the HST, but they did have Hornady Something-Or-Other, with a colorful little hollowpoint tip, 185gr., self defense load. $28 smackers! For only 20 rounds. You're kidding, right??

No, not kidding. This world is insane.

Regards,

AK

10. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    With proper shot placement, any decent JHP from 155gr-180gr will work. Choose a weight from a major manuf & test drive it to make sure it is 100% in your gun. Yes some JHP designs are slightly better than others, but I think too many shooter worry about their bullets & not their skill level. If you can't guarantee good hits @ 30ft, from any angle, position & while you &/or the target is on the move, you need more trigger time.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  11. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr Silver Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    What on earth does changing a badguy's channel mean?

12. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I interpretted it as:

change BG's intentions; stop the threat; cause BG to go from 'attack' to 'retreat', or just go down

13. Coffee Dog

Coffee Dog

Feb 12, 2007
    East Coast
    You have pretty well described changing a BG's channel----Thank-you. :goodpost:

14. fortheboys

fortheboys

Feb 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    You will get several different answers.
    I carry the Winchester Ranger T 165gr JHP.
    Be aware that several loads also have lower velocity/power levels. For instance you can find several 165 loads that are loaded to different power levels.

What I will suggest is, whatever round you decide to carry, make sure it functions 100 percent in your weapon/mag combo. I have seen guys/gals pick a certain round based on someone else's recommendation and never check to see if it functions properly in their weapon.
    Good luck with your decision and stay safe.

15. Bigpoppie50

Bigpoppie50

Oct 2, 2010
    Yes Sir or 165 gr Federal HST.

16. Coffee Dog

Coffee Dog

Feb 12, 2007
    East Coast
    Thank-you. Reliability in both ammo & your handgun should always be foremost in your training . :thumbsup:

17. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking

May 16, 2012
    Same load I carry in my 27.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

18. The .40 is much more forgiving of bullet choice than is the 9mm. That said, I typically like light for caliber projectiles and this carries over into the .40 S&W. I like Cor-Bon 135 grain jhp, and "Midweight" rounds in the 155-165 grain range from Speer(Gold Dot), Winchester(Ranger or Silvertip, which is a best buy and accurate), or Federal (Classic).
    Be Safe.

19. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    Federal HST, Winchester Ranger-T or Speer Gold Dot ... IN ANY CALIBER THESE ARE THE BEST CHOICES, IN THAT ORDER, IMO.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  20. Coffee Dog

Coffee Dog

Feb 12, 2007
    East Coast
    Many thanks for your info. :eagle: