close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Want to hear about you and your G30 (or G30SF)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JTR, Apr 6, 2012.

1. JTR

JTR

So, I've used the G23 for the past many years as the firearm I carry. Over the last couple years I seem to have sold off all the other 40 caliber handguns and now find myself with only one, my G23. Being one of those "odd" people I'm interested in "caliber consolidation" and considering changing what I carry from the G23 to a G30SF as they're very similar in size to each other and the 45ACP is, well, the 45ACP (enough said about that). There really is no hope of me ever being out of the 45ACP game, so the G30SF just makes a lot of sense. Curious about y'all and your G30s (Short Frame or otherwise).

2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

I have a 30SF and love it was carrying the 23, then went to the 27 and now I carry the 30 Everyday... I have had no issues with my 30 and have around 500-750 rounds through it... works great.. and shoots like it should.. you cant go wrong with the 30 IMO...

3. OldArcher

OldArcher Gospel Carrier

Good choice on the G30SF. I have two G30s, both Gen 3, one standard, the other SF. I like the SF the better of the two...

I highly recommend having Trijicon tritium night sights be put on. I put +2 extensions on the two mags that came with it, and then supplement with 13rd mags.

For ammo, I highly recommend Corbon's 185gr SCHP, or Magtech's 165gr SCHP.

For ankle holster, DeSantis, along with their 2 magazine ankle carrier. For more convenient carry, Bladetech's IWB for the same weapon. Believe me, the Bladetech works beautifully for my G30, G30SF, G21, and G21SF... Very comfortable at the 4 o'clock position... For belt wear, I prefer angle adjustable mag paddle pouches from Fobus...

If you need shoulder harnesses, I highly recommend West Woods Landing.

Believe it or not, the G30s are quite nearly the equal, accuracy wise, of the G21s. My magazine selections run from the 10rd, short, magazine for the 30's concealment aspects, up through the +2 extension from Lone Wolf Distributing, to the 13rd factory standard, to finally, the Arredondo +4 extension, which gives you 17 in the magazine, and 1 in the spout, for a total of 18rds... Very reliable, with hundreds of rds down range...

For me, the Glock system is the ultimate handgun...

Hope this info helps, as I sometimes I'll "wear" anywhere from two, to four pistols, depending upon where, and when, I go...

I use Streamlight TLR-2 and Insight Technologies M6X units- both are superb, but I tend to leave the laser designators off. If I have to shoot, I want instant target identification. The ability to only have the weapon light "flash," rather than stay on, is a must. The length of time between identification and caressing the trigger is the same, as when using the laser. Yeah, I know, the laser doesn't give you away, but the smart way, is to illuminate, engage, and MOVE!... After you take the shot, they'll know where you are. Unless, you get a longer, threaded barrel from LWD, and jump through hoops, and get a Gemtech .45acp Blackside w/LID device... You need the longer barrel, and the LID, to have the proper amount of pressure to cycle the weapon... Don't forget to get the thread protectors in black...

Recoil of the G30's or the G21's, is much lighter than other pistols, because the bore's line is lower than they are. Moment of impulse is straight back, into the web of your hand. This spreads felt and actual recoil over a larger area. What this means is simply this- faster, more accurate follow-up shots, so if you have to use the FTS drill, it's dead nuts on... Glock's design is a life saver... And if you're worried about not having a safety on the sides of your weapons, just remember to keep your fingers away from the trigger!

OldArcher, out...

4. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

G30s are great little .45s. I miss the one I used to have.

That said, why not stick with .40 caliber, but move up to 10mm? It is a lot more potent than .45 and the G29 is the same size as the 30.

5. robfromsc

robfromsc

I have a 21sf and the 30sf. The 30 is a great concealment firearm. 500-750 down the tube and no issues.

I tend to think the 30 has slightly more recoil than the 21, due to weight, as expected. But in no way is it harsh.

6. Glock_your_world

Glock_your_world

I love my G30sf it is my main EDC gun. I have had it since 2009 and have lost count on the rounds through it but they have all been flawless.

7. Keyhole

Keyhole

My G30 has been my concealed weapon of choice for years.

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I have a G30SF that I use for GSSF shooting. I carry a G26.
    For me the G30size is too blocky (wide).
    I'm considering a G36 for carry.

9. GNiner

GNiner

I had quite the stable of Glock 9mms and 1911s, carrying a G19 daily for many years. A couple of years ago, on a whim, I purchased a G30SF. I don't know if I got lucky and got the most accurate one made or what, but it shot better groups and had better Steel Ch times than all of my 1911's. So began a slow sell off of my 1911's due to neglect and getting dusty in the safe. Carrying G19's for so long, I guess I just got accustomed to and prefer the Glock trigger over the 1911s. Sorry Butch.

10. mj9mm

mj9mm

the 30sf is a great gun, alot of 45 ammo on hand and you can use 21 mags. very nice shooting.:wavey:

11. *Sheepdog*

*Sheepdog*

I'm quite fond of my Block30. It's a great little shooter, and with the optional 9 round (flush) mag, conceals quite well.

12. prez1967

prez1967

As a 1911 lover... im completely infatuated with the 45acp glocks! While the G30 (and sf) is arguably too wide to IWB CCW it does offer great capacity if the thickness doesnt bother you.

I bought a G36 as my first Glock and plan on picking up the other two as soon as finances allow.

You cant go wrong in CCWing a 45 glock.

13. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

For four of my seven carry years, my carry weapon was a G30. For the last year, or so, I've carried a G21, and previous to the 30, was a 1911. IMHO, the G30 is the perfect carry weapon! For these reasons. It is a proven caliber, and has proven itself, for over 100 years. Second, any firearm, that is larger than a pocket carry, falls in the category of, one, must have clothing to hide said weapon, second, must have adequate capacity, third be capable of IWB carry, and lastly, be comfortable to shoot, and be shot accurately. The G30 fills these criteria!

That being said, and mentioning, I am now carrying a G21, for two reasons. One, with the G30, a finger grip extension was needed on the magazine, for my hand to fit comfortably, and that made the grip almost identical in size to the G21, and secondly, I've never shot any firearm as well, or accurately as a G21. Five feet, to 25 yards tight groups are achieved! The G30, or SF, if it fits you well, is smaller, lighter, and delivers a formidable caliber. Again, a perfect carry weapon.

14. QNman

QNman Old timer

I have both a 21SF and a 30SF. Both are on the "do not sell" shelf of my safe. I shoot my 30 as well as I shoot my best handguns.

15. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

There are so many things to like about the Glock 30/30SF that I made a study of it. We have two G30SF pistols in our household (his and hers). Click the G30SF 45ACP link in my sig line below to read the details of the information with additional links, photos and videos for the following topics:
    • Magazine Options
    • Physical Size
    • Caliber Conversions and Ammo
    • GSSF Match Competition
    • Very Manageable Recoil
    • Dual Role for Concealed Carry and Home Defense
    • Outstanding Accuracy

16. Taurus851

Taurus851

great piece. one of my favorites. can do everything you need and then some

17. JTR

JTR

Thanks for all the feedback guys, keep posting y’all, would love to hear more (encouragement).

WOW! Thanks for taking the time to write all that. Accessories are kinda personal things, not a big fan of the Trijicon sights, much prefer the Heinie Straight Eights. Don’t know about the Glocks, but have seen a few 45ACP guns choke on the “fast” and “lightweight” ammo so just run 230gr fodder most of the time and especially for a defensive gun. Start getting away from one of the great attributes of the 45ACP when you start using lightweight bullets at higher speeds; the low-pressure the cartridge works at. Love the Bladetech holsters for Steel and USPSA, will have to try one of their IWB holsters sometime, have always liked Glaco. On the ankle holster, hated it, always, even with a little pistol is never been “right” and with a big Glock – I can’t imagine. Shoulder holsters I’ll never wear another one; don’t care for em and they’re not safe. Carrying two to four pistols, you must visit some rough neighborhoods

Many years ago I carried a Smith 1076 and know exactly how potent the 10mm Auto is (also know how heavy the big Smith is after packin it all day). Saw the 10mm become not so potent and then the birth of the 40 S&W. Carried a Sig P229 in 40 S&W for a while and that led me to the G23 later in life. The G23 is and has been great, but the pendulum in my life is moving and I’m moving away from the 40 S&W, might come back some day, ya never know. Back to the idea of the 10mm though… as great of a round as it is, part of my planning as it were (preparation for what happens after the gunshots – in the courtroom) is to use the same gun and ammunition as local law enforcement. Being able to say you use “only exactly what the police use, no more, no less” can make the difference. Local to me are 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP in just about every model of Glock, no 10mm. Using a 10mm with some scorching hot load is nothing but trouble in both the courtroom as well as a liability with over penetration (saw that when carrying the 1076 early on). Although I love the 10mm Auto and still have a few, I’d never carry one on a daily basis. Maybe that’s just me though after a bit-o-experience and a lot of years.

I was thinking about the issue of width too… the Block30 as Sheepdog so eloquently put it should be considered. I’m a pretty big guy so the little G23 has never been an issue. Went to the local fun store and compared the two side-by-side and am thinking the G30SF won’t be too much of a change either (IIRC its an additional 2.5mm in slide width), feels about the same in the hand and a similar profile form the side.

18. CSP

CSP

The Glock 30SF is a great gun. Compact and powerful. The thickness is something to consider. Although it doesn't look much thicker than a 9/40/357 chambered Glock, you will feel it when carrying IWB. A good quality thin kydez holster helps overcome this.

Good luck.

CSP

19. 257 roberts

257 roberts

agreed,I carry a 23 my 30 is just too bulky to carry comfortably

20. Glockaholic2

Glockaholic2

The G30 was my first ccw. Then, the G36 came out and that is what I carry all the time. I shoot it better than the G30....maybe because I shoot it more. My G30 is now my night stand gun. Both are good. I load'em up with Federal HydraShok 185 gr JHP.