close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Want to add a single point sling to my Mossberg.

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by gunsnhoses, Aug 23, 2011.

1. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses
    Expand Collapse

I want to add a single point sling to my Mossberg 500A. Mind you, I bought this gun used for $200 so I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I was thinking I just needed some type of sling plate between the buttstock and reciever than I could use my Magpul MS2.

What suggestions do you all have? Any other simple ways to do this?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Bullman

Bullman
    Expand Collapse
    Deranged Deputy

I am a fan of the single point sling, but it doesn't work particularly well with the mossberg, at least not for me. I put a sling plate on mine and I found that when I was shooting weak hand barricade the sling plate got in the way with a regular stock. Now if you are shooting a pistol gripped stock ( which makes it difficult to manipulate the safety) the sling plate doesn't get in the way.

3. mixflip

mixflip
    Expand Collapse

I like my nuts too much to abuse them with a shotgun flailing and bouncing around on a single point sling.

4. Bullman

Bullman
    Expand Collapse
    Deranged Deputy

This is the GG&G end plate I used to have, you can barely see the top of it. Now they make some that are just a loop at the top where you can attach an H&K style hook, which might be better. Getting your left hand around the plate to work the controls was not pleasant though this way.

[​IMG]

5. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

A good three point sling will do everything a single point will do and more. But the biggest thing it does is keep it from banging around.

I like my Spectergear CGB three point sling on my Benelli M2 and Remington 870. Easy to use, versatile and quick and superior retention over a single point.

6. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses
    Expand Collapse

Ya, I know what you mean, but I use the Magpul single to double point sling for my AR's and like the ability to use single point when shooting and moving and then transitioning to 2-point while carrying and walking around.

I was just wanting a simple single point for retention while shooting.

7. Bullman

Bullman
    Expand Collapse
    Deranged Deputy

I have one like this sort of on my Mossberg now, mine is a quick adjust Rocky Mountain Tactical sling and I just use it as a two point, but it has the ability to be a single point and hang of the heel of the pistol grip, it just hangs a little lower there than I like it to.

8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

A 2pt quick adjust will do everything a 3pt will without the extra crap in the way.

The 3pt is a dead design.

After nearly causing a simulated casualty to become a real one with an M4 on a single-point sling, i have very little use for dedicated 1 pt slings. The MS2 is different.

9. crazyasian1

crazyasian1
    Expand Collapse

That's nice, but the thread title is "Want to add a single point sling to my Mossberg" not "Who likes their nuts too much to abuse them with a shotgun flailing and bouncing around on a single point sling"...:upeyes:

Now back on topic. Having zero experience with slings on shotguns, I'd like to explore this option myself. I have a Knoxx SpecOps pistol grip and wonder if it would be better to get a sling point for the bottom of the stock or just thread it through the stock.

10. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

For shorter barreled rifles and shotguns, single points work great. We use CQB/Specter gear. I recently switched to a condor, which is just a little bit nicer version. Again, for a looong barrel, I'm not sure I'd want a single point. For short barreled rifles and shotguns, I want nothing else. When you transition properly, the weapon moves easily behind the shoulder or back, and stays there until you reach for it. The only time it's a pain is moving/crawling prone. Running walking, it works great.

11. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse

It's still relevant to the topic.

And Condor gear is airsoft.

Value your life? Run the hell away. CQB/Specter builds a solid product.

12. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Buy a foot of 1" web and a couple of keepers. Cut web into two pieces. Put one tight around the stock just behind the pistol grip with the other piece in a loop under it. Clip your single point sling into the loop. Loop can also be made out of para cord.

Stays out of your way and won't bother your left hand when you transition to weak side.

Here is one from blackhawk with a ring on it.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-single-point-sling-adapter-70sa00bk.html

#12 vafish, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  13. Bullman

Bullman
    Expand Collapse
    Deranged Deputy

I might have to look into that, it would be better than hanging it off the heel of the pistol grip. Of course, I am sorta getting used to running it as a two point anyway. A heavy shotgun doesn't hang the same as a patrol rifle does.

14. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses
    Expand Collapse

That's sounds great, but I'm not running a pistol grip. Just standard stock.

15. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse

A heavy shotgun hangs better than an 11.5lb M-4 carbine with an M203, 3 kinds of sights, a laser and a light on it....

Single points still suck for most applications.

16. Bullman

Bullman
    Expand Collapse
    Deranged Deputy

Yeah, but my patrol rifle is a simple on, no 203, no sights, just a rifle and irons. Now I would like a flat top with a red dot, but that will be sometime down the road.

17. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler
    Expand Collapse

Incorrect. Condor makes everything from airsoft to items that badged at for retail as condor, 5.11, Blackhawk, and others. For those that know what they're looking at and can buy direct from condor, they have excellent gear. As noted by others, single points agre gear for operators with shorties/pistolgrip stocks, not so much for more traditional long gun configurations.

#17 hikerpaddler, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  18. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

True. Agencies can purchase direct from condor. In my department, you can find the same rifle bag or pack, exact same item, one with the patch of a high profile tac gear company sewn on, another with no badging whatsoever inside or out, and a third with a "condor" tag, depending upon when and where the guys gear was purchased. They sell everything from top of the line to bargain bin stuff.

19. SCSU74

SCSU74
    Expand Collapse
    St. Cloud Proud

i use a midwest industries single point mount. It is extremely easy to install (remove stock, place the adaptor, replace stock and tighten down). i use a blackhawk bungee sling and haven't had any problems. I run this set-up on an 870, but i'm sure it will work equally well on a mossberg. Have you had any problems with the MS2? I heard the clamp used for the 2 point connection comes unhooked very easy when in single point?

20. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse

As far as I'm concerned, Condor=airsoft.

5.11 quality isn't far ahead.

And Blackhawk has far too many QC issues in large lot buys for me to be happy with, but the stuff does work.