close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

WALTHER P99 or BERETTA 92FS

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by RTMonforte, Apr 24, 2006.

1. RTMonforte

RTMonforte My G1911

Jan 25, 2006
    Quezon City, Philippines
    Good day po mga pistoleros,

i have g19, but im planning to buy one
    can u give some suggestion about P99 and 92FS,
    accuracy,durability.

thanks

2. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    Cebu
    hi RTMonforte, buy another glock:) kidding aside, saw a p99 frame crack just above the trigger guard, but the gun still works. the locking piece of berettas are prone to breakage. most of our local police here that are active in the shooting sports encountered that problem with their issue berettas.

3. RTMonforte

RTMonforte My G1911

Jan 25, 2006
    Quezon City, Philippines
    salamat sir,
    in compare to glock,means mas durable pa kesa dito sa dalawa.

4. RTMonforte

RTMonforte My G1911

Jan 25, 2006
    Quezon City, Philippines
    plano ko kasi sa bibilhin ko yong pwede sa shooting sports and pwede rin concealed carry,

any gun can you advice sir,budget ko lang 50t,mahirap mangupit kay kumander ng budget:supergrin:

5. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

Dec 7, 2002
    on the road again
    hi! you can use your g19 for shooting competitions.carry what you shoot and shoot what you carry.just my 2 cents po.cheers.

6. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    Cebu
    the cz 75/85 is popular in the production division. for carry and play, i think the g19 can do a good job for both:)

7. MR_BIG

MR_BIG

Nov 16, 2005
    ill go with the 92fs, plenty of parts to start with, since you're carrying a 19, try mo rin 34

8. mtho

mtho

Nov 18, 2005
    i think the 34 won't qualify for the production in ipsc. but thats a good gun,lower na yung trigger pull.sa standard na yata sya papasok pero minor. baka sa idpa mas lamang di lang ako sigurdo

9. akula

akula BizDuc NM Millennium Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Diri, Diha, Didto
    I had a Walther P99 DA/SA model about four years ago. The customizable grip is one of the better grips. I use the medium size. The SA trigger is one of the sweetest in DA/SA guns -- much better that my CZ85. My split was better vs my later CZ. The slide is heavy, but still flips a lot like glock -- but I personally believe handles better that glock because of the grip.

One thing is that you can use lead bullets, but chamber is tight and bullet length is custom set to P99 barrel. I encountered keyholes when bullet are quite short, and has problem extracting loaded round when set too high. It depends though on the ogive of the bullet head.

I broke a firing pin during a dry fire. That was the only breakage I had when it was with me for two years. It was active in IPSC shooting for around 8 months, when I decided to get a 'real' steel gun (Tanfoglio, later CZ).

I sold it later to my brother in law, when I got the smaller G26.

10. jasonub

jasonub

Sep 28, 2003
    Philippines
    1911 no contest.

second is a hk.

then a sig.

11. isuzu

isuzu

Jul 3, 2005
    North America
    Tried a friend's P99 and it handled well. IMHO, it's smaller and concealable than a Glock 19.

The problem with locking blocks cracking in Berettas has been corrected in subsequent generations of 92Fs. It can be a result of lightening the recoil spring and hammer spring. I lightened the hammer spring on the Taurus PT92 that I gave my wife, but at the same time, changed the recoil spring to an extra power spring to compensate for the reduction in the hammer spring.

If you plan to carry concealed, get a P99 or a Glock 19. If you plan to carry your gun in a fanny pack, get either a Beretta 92F, Taurus PT92 (which is essentially a Beretta, only priced lower), or a Glock 17.:)

12. Wp.22

Wp.22

Jan 17, 2005
    philippines
    sir RTMonforte,

same problem kayo ng uncle ko before he wanted a gun for carry. pinagpipilian nya yung p99 at 92fs. eventually yung 92fs ang binili nya because of parts availablity at sabi nyamas maganda raw yung trigger pull ng 92fs compare sa p99.

13. SMBeerDealer

SMBeerDealer Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Lytham St Annes, UK
    These problems are encountered in Beretta 92F's and are no longer present in the 92FS's. The only problems I enconountered with my Beretta was broken firing pin when I kept on dry firing so much and a broken trigger spring. The former can be prevented by the use of punched leather swatches placed to cushion the hammer fall (I found dummy ammo/snap caps ineffective).

[​IMG]

The latter with an aftermarket spring system. Alexii knows where to order this.

I've been shooting my 92FS in production division on and off for almost 2 years and it has yet to fail me. Eats all the ammo I've tried in it. Replaced the hammer spring with the 92D's to lighten the trigger pull early 2005 and that's it. You're ready to play. You could also get the Mec-Gar mags that carry 17 (can be modified to take in 18) rounds.

It also easily fits in my fanny pack so I can take it along with me. Too big for an IWB rig, though.

Good luck with your choice.

14. RTMonforte

RTMonforte My G1911

Jan 25, 2006
    Quezon City, Philippines
    maraming salamat po sa mga comments and suggestion niyo:bowdown: :bowdown:

so far 92fs ang gusto ko and maybe the 1911 as jason said,sa recoiling mga sir alin ang maganda,92fs or 1911? malakas pa kaya kesa sa g19,

alamin ko na muna siguro ang mga prices nila at distributor.

salamat po uli

needs more suggestion
    thanks

15. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    Cebu
    hehehe, the problem is that you just cant have enough:) why not have them all. it all depends on what you will use your gun for. afaik, you cant have a single pistol excell in all criterias:supergrin:

16. asian_glockster

asian_glockster Hook Up!!!!!!!!

Nov 25, 2004
    nasa Luzon
    I used to carry my G19 but unfortunately, the headspace or breechface cracked. Happened to me twice. Dry firing was the culprit.
    As long as you use a dummy ammo for dry firing for your Glock, there will never be a problem. Between P99 or a Beretta 92FS, I'll go for a Walther. It's lighter and easier to carry while the Beretta is somewhat larger than a 1911 if you consider carrying it. Accuracy and Reliability wise, I think that they are both ok.

17. MR_BIG

MR_BIG

Nov 16, 2005
    sorry, didnt read the production part. :supergrin:

18. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Nov 14, 2001
    Delta Quadrant
    If you're going the Beretta route, make sure that the model is 92FS and not 92S (like those reconditioned units being sold for 20k plus).

Good luck and let us know when you finally have your pistol.:)

19. ShipWreck

ShipWreck FN & HK Fanatic

Feb 6, 2005
    Texas
    I have had numerous Berettas. But for me, the Walther P99 is the most accurate gun I have ever shot. I shoot it better than even 1911s, for some strange reason.

20. revo

revo

Apr 27, 2003
    Pssst...get them both.

Don't worry.

With guns, you can be a two-timer and nobody will complain.

:cool: