close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walmart wont sell you ammo if your Ocing

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by zoanemesis, Jun 20, 2011.

1. zoanemesis

zoanemesis
    Expand Collapse

So last thursday I went at 7 am in the morning to buy ammo in Walmart while Ocing my G23 in a serpa lvl 2 holster. The guy at the counter refused to sell me ammo because I was carrying and they told me it was there "policy" so they asked me to put it in the car and come back. Honestly I complied only because I needed the ammo for my ACT 235 class or else I would of went somewhere else. So I contacted corporate headquarters and I just recieved a phone call from the shift manager. He told me that if a employee feels uncomfortable that they can refuse service to anyone. So me just carrying on my hip being polite asking to buy 150 rounds of ammo made him uncomfortable? So I for one am asking advice on what my next step should be? I know walmart is supposed to follow state and local laws regarding firearms. So wouldn't that mean that they should sell you ammo? This was the Walmart in Honesdale PA and I have bought ammo there before while Ocing.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. debbert

debbert
    Expand Collapse

It could be deemed as suspicious to anybody that a man, who is armed, wants to buy ammo. They may not know that the ammo is for a different gun and they certainly don't know what your intentions are.

There is no harm in stowing the firearm prior to buying ammo.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried to buy ammo at your favorite local gun shop while OCing? I'd be curious to know if they sell it to you, or not.

3. Chaos88

Chaos88
    Expand Collapse

Next step is let it go and move on with your life. They reserve the right to refuse service to any one for any reason at any time. That day, they chose you.

4. Booker

Booker
    Expand Collapse

I see no problem here!

I have often refused service to people for a variety of reasons.

Today, it's people who carry Glock 23's. :tongueout:

#4 Booker, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  5. Seraph

Seraph
    Expand Collapse

I can't imagine how you thought it would be any different.

6. Dragoon44

Dragoon44
    Expand Collapse
    Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

That is corporate's stated policy.If a local store does not follow it then that is an issue only between corporate and the local store. It is not an issue of law.

Your only avenue is to make a complaint to corporate.

7. joel_conley

joel_conley
    Expand Collapse

I dont OC often, but the one time I did this year I went to Walmart and purchased a .22 rifle and ammo for it with no problems. You might try and contact a higher up and get a copy of the policy.

8. REA9mm

REA9mm
    Expand Collapse
    get ready

Concealed carry could've prevented this.

9. brob2425

brob2425
    Expand Collapse

Seriously, any private business has a right to deny service to anyone. There is no law against that. Just another freedom, along with the 2nd amend, our great country gives it's people. These die-hard OCers who want to make a big deal out of every little incident do more harm than good for the community. If you don't like their policy, don't shop there. That's all you can do.

In this day where random shootings are happening all the time, it's completely understandable that someone would be uncomfortable selling ammo to someone OCing. Just yesterday someone went into a drug store in NY and shot 4 people. You may be an upstanding citizen, but the guy selling you the ammo doesn't know that and has no idea of your intentions. Granted, someone with ill intentions most likely won't be OCing, concern is still understandable.

10. zoanemesis

zoanemesis
    Expand Collapse

I understand the right to refuse service to anybody but it seems to be more of a discrimination issue then anything. Thats like refusing service to a guy who dresses in baggy clothes because the employee doesnt like the way he dresses.

11. pipedreams

pipedreams
    Expand Collapse

You do know baggy cloths don't present the perceived danger a firearm does. I have purchased ammo at WM while CC with no problem. I wouldn't dream of walking into the store OC even if I legally could.

12. HotRoderX

HotRoderX
    Expand Collapse
    Gen4 BETATester

I can understand the stores point of view on this. I also understand your point of view. In this case I don't think the store did anything wrong but I don't think you did anything wrong either. The store has the right to refuse service to you for any reason. That's what they did I say call to corporate would be the only thing you could do. I let it go at least they where willing to sell you ammo after you put the gun away. Here where I live if you buy a firearm from the Local Walmart they will not sell you ammo for 24hrs.

13. trifecta

trifecta
    Expand Collapse

Not really a great analogy. The general public doesn't see a wearing a firearm the same way they see wearing a wrist watch.

I still don't understand why they would conduct business that way. If you are wearing a gun, it is pretty safe to figure you already have ammo. Selling you another 150 rounds doesn't seem to warrant a second thought.

14. Electrikkoolaid

Electrikkoolaid
    Expand Collapse
    Grape flavored!

Open carry could have prevented this. Oh, wait...

[​IMG]

15. nikerret

nikerret
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Awesome

I had this happen to me a few years ago. Took my firearm to the car, returned and purchased ammo. No big deal.

16. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP
    Expand Collapse
    Inactive/Banned

I think that was here in Waco.

17. C5A

C5A
    Expand Collapse

I never could understand why someone would want to OC an empty weapon unless they just wanted to be the center of attention. It sure does not give the security of a fully loaded one CCW.

#17 C5A, Jun 20, 2011
  18. up1911fan

up1911fan
    Expand Collapse

What your next step should be? Don't be an idiot and make us look bad, that should be your next step.

19. Orive 8

Orive 8
    Expand Collapse

"Concealed carry could've prevented this."

Kind of thinking the same thing myself.

20. OctoberRust

OctoberRust
    Expand Collapse
    Anti-Federalist

lol wait, an emo kid open carrying? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ETA - I guess I can see why you wouldn't CC like most of us, since skinny jeans would be kind of hard to fit an IWB in huh? :rofl:

#20 OctoberRust, Jun 20, 2011