close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

walmart, NIB 30-06, $247.00?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by cruisindawoods, Mar 30, 2009.

1. cruisindawoods

cruisindawoods

Mar 23, 2009
    lakeland,fl
    http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=8&display=desc i think this is a good deal. what do you guys think? anybody own or fired one? maybe, needs to be drilled and tapped for scope? what size scope? i've only hunted w/ 12ga. (singles, pumps, and autos.) and 30-30s. my brother is trying to talk me into getting a good deer rifle. all opions and comments welcome. thanks in advance, rick

2. Punkkin

Punkkin

Mar 18, 2005
    NM
    Looks like it's got Weaver bases already. I'd look for a used Remington 700 instead, but it doesn't look too bad for $250.

3. cruisindawoods

cruisindawoods

Mar 23, 2009
    lakeland,fl
    ok, i see in features, its comes w/ factory installed weaver scope bases. should've read a lil closer , i guess. thx

4. I've never shot one (that brand, I have a Savage .30-06).

It'd certainly be worth a try.

5. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

Aug 10, 2004
    Bremen, IN
    I have never shot one but I have read on other forums that they are decent hunting rifles. Not tack drivers but 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards. More than deadly for deer, and it gives you some extra $$$ to go with a great scope.

I think you can make a good combo with a decent gun and a great scope much faster than a great gun with a good scope.

6. paperairplane

paperairplane

Oct 5, 2008
    I would not hesitate to use this for basic deer hunting duties. With a moderate scope ($99-$149) you could have a perfectly good deer rifle for under $400.

Compared to a 12ga, this should be a laser beam. If you want to play bench-rest sniper, I would start with a better platform.

7. I picked on up in a trade this past year. StockGlock23's description is about perfect. Not a real tack driver, but 1.5"-2" is plenty for white tailed deer at a reasonable distance.

8. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    Mossberg is known for their shotguns.

Look for a Savage on sale somewhere.

Even entry level Savage rifles have their Accu-Trigger and are a better buy for a little more cash and you get a starter scope.